Putting 11-14 MT82 in S550

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by boardkat, Jun 8, 2018.

1. boardkat

boardkat CAMtard

Sourced a hurt S197 transmission to rebuild. Getting mixed messages from my research on what needs to be changed to work with an S550. I know the driveshaft flange needs to be changed from 4-bolt to 3-bolt, and the shifter assembly is different (but I *think* the MGW I’ll be bolting on negates this issue), but is there anything else? VMP lists the tailshaft being different, but when I reached out to Mike @ Autonation White Bear Lake, he told me the part numbers are the same for 11-14 and 15+. Has anybody done this and can speak from experience, or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

2. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

I'm not sure I understand the direction you are heading. most guys replace the MT82 with a Tremec, why are you wanting to run this trans?

3. boardkat

boardkat CAMtard

Many reasons.

1.) Weight - 30-35lbs is considerable when efforts are being made to get down to minimum class weight of 3250
    2.) Significant existing investment in driveshaft/clutch/flywheel/shifter
    3.) Type of usage - autox/dd, so not exposed to the same kind of conditions (shock, heat) as track/drag builds that the MT-82 has known issues with. That said, I’ll be rem coating/cryo treating my gearset to give them as much strength as I think I’ll need for increased durability.

4. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

OK, well that's reasonable..my suggestion is to give AJ a call at Phoenix as they will prolly know what to change and may have the parts sitting around some place

boardkat likes this.
  5. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Output flange and shifter specific to chassis. That is it, I did this the other way ‘16 to ‘11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornercarvin and boardkat like this.
  6. boardkat

boardkat CAMtard

Yep, that jives with all the other information I've seen and spoken to people about. Thanks for the real-world feedback! Glad Ford didn't make it too complicated! :)