The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

QTP 302 Leak When Closed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone here with QTP's had any issues with leakage? I've had mine on my car for maybe 1500 miles and even when they're closed there is an obvious leak out of the side pipes, I've checked alignment about 5 different times to ensure there is no binding, even gone as far to run them without the side pipes with the units closed and its really freaking loud even when closed! Just curious to see if any other owners have had an issue with them, I noticed part of QTP's warranty excludes leakage, wish I would have seen that before I bought them!

... in case anyone was wondering hot much those baffles in the factory side pipes quiet things down, lets just say a TON! I might try to fab up some adapters to run a different brand cutout cause its awesome when its open, but these QTP's just can't hold it shut with these shorties.

10403704_10202985601026626_6801218314485567823_n.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BossStang:

Those are some of the nicest side pipe turn downs that I have seen. Did you make those? If so nice job.
302 HP

302 Hi Pro said:
BossStang:

Those are some of the nicest side pipe turn downs that I have seen. Did you make those? If so nice job.
302 HP

Thanks! They're very loud and reverberate off the ground and shake the earth! I had my fab guy make them, we used the front part of the factory side pipes (the rear part slides off, its held on with a clamp). I am going to return these QTP's as I read many people have issues with them and get a pair of the DMH cutouts and make an adapter to make them work. Will keep everyone posted here. I noticed a slight leak with the factory side pipes under high RPM, but with these shorty side pipes it is very obvious.

I had my QTP's on for just under a year when I began having similar issues. Come to find out that the motors were not working correctly and the valves were not shutting all the way.

Contacted QTP and their warranty is only 90 days lol. I was very unhappy with the whole thing. Initially they were awesome, but when they started to act up, and then finally went bad, I was done with them. After looking inside the housings, you can see how cheaply they are designed and made. A bunch of cheaply made gears and extensions, something I'd expect to see on an RC car.

on a side note, any way I could get a vid / sound file of those turn downs?! I'm very curious about mocking up a set!

WorldFamousZ said:
I had my QTP's on for just under a year when I began having similar issues. Come to find out that the motors were not working correctly and the valves were not shutting all the way.

Contacted QTP and their warranty is only 90 days lol. I was very unhappy with the whole thing. Initially they were awesome, but when they started to act up, and then finally went bad, I was done with them. After looking inside the housings, you can see how cheaply they are designed and made. A bunch of cheaply made gears and extensions, something I'd expect to see on an RC car.

on a side note, any way I could get a vid / sound file of those turn downs?! I'm very curious about mocking up a set!

The QTP's are probably one of the nicest looking pieces, but unfortunately the quality is not that great. I just took off these side pipes I had made because the NVH from mounting them to the chassis was unbearable, even with a block off plate between the shorty caused terrible drone. With them open they were very loud but unfortunately I did not make a video! I am working on a set of shorty turn downs that don't have a fixing point to the chassis, I will see what I can come up with and post back.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel