The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quality brakes for street

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kekoa,

Not sure what you want to accomplish, as the set up you currently have is great for the street. If you are thinking about taking the GT to the track then the discussion can change, but what you have now is pretty darn good.

Agree with Bill. I experimented with dual purpose track/street pads and saw no difference in stopping power around the street but certainly more noise. I have a few hundred dollars worth of them sitting in boxes in my attic. For street the stock pads are fine. Centric rotor blanks are also relatively inexpensive and do the job.

I agree with the above. Try and resist the urge to put drilled rotors on your car even for the street. The rust and brake dust that builds up in the holes leaves a mess on the inside of your wheels after you wash the car.

I want to stay with the stock setup because I do like it. The pads are getting close and are getting noise. I was thinking that since brembo is expensive that replacing with stock is expensive. Anybody have an idea of replacing stock would cost?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are going to stay stock just Google Mustang GT Brembo brakes and you will likely get plenty of options on pricing. Honestly , going to the TireRack link on this page will get you some of the best pricing on stock or really good street pads for your car.

FYI for others with this question, I talked to my local ford dealership and they confirmed that the rotors and pads are generic ford pads and rotors. The front caliper is a brembo 6 piston caliper and the rears are generic ford calipers. This is true only for s550 owners with the performance pack equipped cars. Hopefully this isn’t a no shiznit post....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
No surprise on the rotors. I assumed the pads would be a different part number, compound. If the calipers are only available on a PP car, then that also follows.
Sounds like spending big bucks is not necessary. NICE.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The stock Ford Performance Pack 6 piston Brembo brake pads are Ferodo DS2500. They are very good pads for street and HPDE type track stuff. NOT race pads though. The stock Ford rotors are also very good for those purposes as well.

Don't take this to mean I think it's a "no shiznit post", that's not my intent at all, just giving you the benefit of some stuff I found out from a brake pad dealer and my own personal experience!!;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel