The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Quarter life crisis Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cracked up reading your build and your statement that the Firestone 500 were an absolutely horrible tire , but you had to get something. The good news is once you get on some decent donuts ( Bridgestone RE71Rs, BFG Rival S 1.5, etc ) you will immediately be faster!! Of course a wider set of rims, and then even wider rubber, you could vault up to warp speed.

Quarter Life Crisis ----- had the same disease and never got rid of it, so crisis management just means more track or autocross time, ha!

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I dunno, the Firehawk Indy 500 might be the fastest ultra high performance 340 treadwear rated tire on the market today.

I dunno, the Firehawk Indy 500 might be the fastest ultra high performance 340 treadwear rated tire on the market today.
There not as bad as I’m making them out but from what tire rack and reviews had said I thought they would be better. It could just be my driving style, they seemed to do okay at road America but at the Milwaukee mile which is a lot shorter I found that they overheated quickly and pretty fast but for the price I shouldn’t complain

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
There not as bad as I’m making them out but from what tire rack and reviews had said I thought they would be better. It could just be my driving style, they seemed to do okay at road America but at the Milwaukee mile which is a lot shorter I found that they overheated quickly and pretty fast but for the price I shouldn’t complain
Yeah, I was foolin' too, they're actually my street tires. I gave them a few HPDE sessions at Auto Club because I blew one of my tracks and not wanting to lose the day, I tossed them on ... and they performed about as well as I'd expect a $125 tire to perform. I'd be curious how they would perform in the wet, but seeing as how the drivers here wouldn't know their wet lines, they'd call it a day with all the bodies stacking up.

It’s been awhile since I’ve done much of anything to the mustang. It’s been a crumby year and I didn’t make it out on track at all this year. But 2020 is over and 2021 is looking like I’ll be able to get to the track more. Not to much to update today just put the car on jack stands and am getting it ready for some winter upgrades. Nothing to special just flush all fluids but and bolt check and get it prepared for the upcoming season. I also was able to buy some 19x11 apex ec7s for a super good deal so those will also be going on I have all the stuff to put get them on I’m just debating on tires. Anyways I’ll be updating more as I work in her in the coming weeks!

92D5C72B-71B2-4E5D-AE69-84F2CF507AA8.jpeg

Just a small update been doing some small stuff on the mustang all winter nothing big. Added 3in front arp studs. Changed trans fluid to bgsycroshift. Changed rear diff fluid and added a boss 302 cover found it on south Florida parts.com for only 140 shipped!!!! But if you don’t have a boss or gt500 you have to email them and explain to them why your using it because it doesn’t match your vin, no big problem really. Then I have a Peterson catch can to mount thanks to Swissboss. Then I just want to get out and rive it it’s actually getting nice here in WI it’s going to be 70!!!! Today!!!

Finally got her put back in the ground and drove it for the first time this year the kids were needless to say excited my oldest son kept asking me when we are we going on a mustang ride! Lol gotta love little kids. Anyways she drove great no issues but there is a knock coming from the front driver side I have to investigate checked the ball joint over winter and all seemed good so we will have to see. The only thing I can think of is the steeda camber plates because they have been on the car since I bought it in 2015 and the guy who had it before me installed them in 2012 soo maybe time for some vorschlag units. Dusty and a dead battery but it feels good to be able to drive it

DE7A1BB4-5850-4B12-868C-2B68B85B47CA.jpeg

08B2661F-62C4-47F2-8732-6870C4782147.jpeg

Finally got time to get the new to me 18x10 apex ec7s on they came with 265/35/18 Yokohama advance ad08’s. I think they look great! And seem to be way lighter than the old 19in drift set up also couldn’t believe how much wider these 265 Yokohama’s are compared to the 265 firestones I believe the yokes are 10.3 in and the fires were only 8.8. Also took off the steeda rear sway bar and put the factory brembo bar back on With the steeda bar the back end always felt a little twitchy I tried softening it and also stiffening the front but it just never seemed to go away. The factory rear bar feels so much better more planted and sturdy

5EAA4003-4212-453C-A567-C7CA2047F8EA.jpeg

997DEB1E-67C2-4F90-9234-0B9C8ADF2BDE.jpeg

It’s been a slow year didn’t make it to the track once besides taking my kids to road America to watch and didn’t really even work in the mustang at all besides washing it ( I feel like your average corvette owner pull out of garage wash pull back in garage lol) but I plan on hitting the track this summer. So the mustang is out away for the winter and that means going through and checking everything over and also doing some upgrades,lookin into getting voraschlage camber plates and archetype crossover lines and some other small things. Also finally bought a nice Jack! Way better than the crappy harbor freight one I had before

E8A24D18-0C27-4F44-8675-2D92454F31BA.jpeg

905401FA-8DFB-4387-8174-F8524C5C4155.jpeg

Did some small stuff yesterday. Took out the front struts to fix my mistake from last summer when I rebuilt the steedas camber plates l. when I installed them I accidentally had the “s” facing inward instead of outward, while I had them off I opened up the holes on the camber plate to try and get more negative camber I was only able to get -1 degree so hopefully it’s a little more now. Now since I have a track day with NWSC on April 23 I have to make a bracket for the catch can and do a nut bolt check and bleed the brakes. I’m pretty pumped this is my first track day in 2 years!

Also need to change the oil. I had talked to @steveespo about using motul 5w50 the only thing I’m worried about is it might be a colder April day and not sure if the 50w on a stock gt is to thick also what oil filter are you guys using fl500 fl820???

Okay been working on some small stuff this year hoping for Atleast 3-4 track days. Finally had time to make my catch can bracket. Which I’ve been waiting to put on for over a year. Bought some used vorschlage camber plates and are waiting for the correct bushings to come in. Then I also purchased a front set only h&r race spring to pair with the k spring rear. Figured I would try it out they were only $100 so hopefully it helps with brake dive and rotation a little. Also have some vorschlag brake lines which is a much needed update. Hoping to make it to road America on April 22 and maybe the MKE mile on may 21st but we will see on the may one. Also found a decent deal on a setrab 6 series 60 row oil cooler for 500 not sure if you guys thought this would be big enough but I also thought maybe it would be okay seeing as I’m not doing w2w and just hpde’s

59D32F7A-6A65-4BAE-B3AF-4A93C61F196F.jpeg

60CB65F2-EF51-4A7D-AAB1-DC12AB41023A.jpeg

Finally got around to bleeding the brakes so I could put the wheels on and drive it for the first time. (Thanks to my wife who over the years has started hating bleeding brakes oh and my 9mo daughter who threw up all over the inside during this process) but the new vorschlage lines were awsome and fit great. Put the new to me vorschlage camber plates on which got rid of a clunk I was having in the passenger front also way more adjustment than the old steedas. And put the h&r front springs on. First impression of the springs and plates is good ride is a little stiffer (not much worse than my f350) but it’s not bad so we will see how it feels on track. Hoping to make it NWSC in July. Just felt good to have it back in the ground and drive it

Just felt good to have it back on the ground and drive it
That's a feeling that you can never get tired of and one that fills your soul with joy!
daughter who threw up all over the inside
I did the same thing when I was less than a yr old.... christening my Dad's BRAND NEW 1954 Chevy Bel air...His first and only brand new car! Looking back , He would have been better off waiting a yr and get the 1955 model.......hind sight is always 20-20.....................1684673704104.png1684673623998.png

TMO Supporting Vendors