Question About Caster/Camber Plates Seen On Boss 302S - I Think

Discussion in 'Suspension and Chassis' started by 2013dibgt, Apr 29, 2018.

1. 2013dibgt

2013dibgt TMO Advanced

Hello,

These pics were found online a few years back in one of the Boss 302S galleries I believe.

I'm curious if anyone can confirm what I am looking at here in these pics. I believe what I'm looking at is perhaps a template like custom Caster/Camber plate that perhaps is hard set to a specific Caster/Camber measurement to prevent movement from the desired ideal setting?

Maybe I'm smoking crack and or maybe I'm seeing things?
    dpp_0049.jpg

dpp_0111.jpg
    If the above assumption is true I can envision several scenario's where I could appreciate such a device if it did exist to the public. Bump Steer setup would be a good example of where this would be very helpful. If the Strut could be held in its final "Aligned" state permanently while Bump Steer is being dialed in verses having to take a SWAG and hope things stay aligned after the wheels are back on the car, Toe is set and the car is sitting at static ride height. Almost impossible really

Anyone know of the existence of a Caster/Camber plate that could created to hold a given spec so that you don't have to worry about whether or not your alignment has strayed or not from what you want it to be? It seems that the OEM Caster/Camber plate does this for the most part. But outside of the OEM setup, would it even be possible to create such a device given the millions of possible suspension setup combinations an End User may be using for the same car from one manufacturer?

By this I mean, say some machinist creates such device for his own car which has its own ride height, tire pressures, wheel/tire sizes, spring rates and maybe even less than level garage floor. He sets it up to be forever set to -1.5 or -1.7 Deg Negative Camber & 6 or 7 Deg Positive Caster. Would this template only be usable on another car if it were setup EXACTLY like the source car, in every way?

Thoughts...Thanks

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  2. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Wow, way cool concept and info. I hope someone comments on your idea, but I have noticed there does not appear to be much adjustment on men stock 302S setup?

3. Tri-bar

Tri-bar TMO Race

With those caster/camber plates [the same style pictured] installed, full outward setting and at 27 inch ride height ground to fender lip. I get 3 dia camber ever time i get it aligned no matter what.

4. Bill Pemberton

So who makes those plates?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. Tri-bar

Tri-bar TMO Race

6. Bill Pemberton

Have not had a chance to get my S down to our alignment shop , but I have the standard S camber plate system and it just does not appear to be adjustable in a range of 2.5 to 3 degrees negative that I figure it should have? Have had M&M on everything else , but figured folks may have used something else for the Boss 302S models?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  7. Tri-bar

Tri-bar TMO Race

The max I get out of my MM camber plates is 3.2 dia. The Boss302s style starts at 3 dia and goes to 5 dia.

8. Bill Pemberton

Cool .....Tri-bar, as I know I needed more than I got with the M&Ms, though that was on stock cars and it worked great -- heck, even Black Boss recommends the M&Ms for folks using their street machines at the track.

9. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

My favorites are the the red ones, but the yellow and orange ones aren't bad either...:rolleyes:

10. 2013dibgt

2013dibgt TMO Advanced

Beautiful car you have there Bill P

The CC plates pictured look totally bulletproof and maybe even idiot proof which would work well for me :D

I had a hell of time trying to keep things lined up back when I did my Bump Steer configuration while installing the 302S control arms and MM/FRP Bump Steer kit on my car. After all that work I'm fairly certain things got pushed out of whack a bit after everything was put back together.

I'm not experiencing any of your typical Bump Steer like symptoms at this point (Steering wheel pulling Left/Right over Bumps/Dips) but I do suspect there may be some additional Toe changes occurring that I didn't see during measurement that are now happening somewhere within the first 1 inch or so of suspension travel. You see, I've been in a part time scuffle for some time now with a slight instability in the Front End at higher speeds, of all things, while going straight. If only the front of the car were half as stable as the back I'd be golden.

Anyway I think it would be very nice to have a purchase option like described that would work for a bunch of different types of dampers and setups. I loath the thought of tearing the Front End down again just to check and see if my suspicion is correct or not.

Maybe I just need to work on acquiring a bigger set of Cohones instead :eek:

11. Bill Pemberton

Bob, I just left it right there in the open for you, didn't I?

302BOB likes this.
  12. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

All I'm going to add is "don't we all" and leave it at that....:D

13. Bill Pemberton

That would be Cojones -- just letting you know before 302Bob can criticize you , ha,ha.

14. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Whatever they're called, you can never have too much of them...;)....especially if you drive a Boss...;););)