The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about Installing a Front Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB218

TMO Addict
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of adding a LS style front splitter to my 13 Boss (standard model).

I know I need to add/buy the mounting bracket (M-17A626-MB) but do I also need to purchase a new lower grill (DR3Z-17K945-CA) too?

As always, thanks for your help and input.

GB218

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Re: Question about I nstalling a Front Splitter

I have a 2012 Boss, can't help with lower grill question.

Regarding a bracket. Blowfish sells a tow hook with integral splitter attachment points. If you are considering possible adding both a spitter and a tow hook. You could save a few bucks up front.

Here is a link to installation instructions for the splitter. Check it close to see I sent the right one. If not, go back to the webpage and dig around a bit. There are several versions and the install sheet for game listed.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-16601-MBKIT.pdf

I like the look of the splitter. At high speeds on track you can definitely feel the difference, more planted front end.

Good luck.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

yes, you have to buy the lower grill from the ls (your partnumber should be the right)

You can also buy a regular GT lower grill, which is the same as your boss lower grill, and cut it up for the struts and tow hook. That's what I did when I bought the BF tow hook kit. Purchased a cheap GT take-off lower grill from eBay.

I am just curious why you can't use the lower grille from a regular Boss 302? Is it where the rods go through or another reason? Thanks, I hope to install my LS splitter soon.

The holes in the honeycomb are different (either bigger or placement is slightly different). The rods don't pass through correctly.

I actually sold my LS lower to a guy on here who found this out after he purchased the LS splitter and the rods wouldn't work on his Boss.

You might be able to modify the attachment bracket but I don't know.

TMSBOSS said:
I have a 2012 Boss, can't help with lower grill question.

Regarding a bracket. Blowfish sells a tow hook with integral splitter attachment points. If you are considering possible adding both a spitter and a tow hook. You could save a few bucks up front.

Here is a link to installation instructions for the splitter. Check it close to see I sent the right one. If not, go back to the webpage and dig around a bit. There are several versions and the install sheet for game listed.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-16601-MBKIT.pdf

I like the look of the splitter. At high speeds on track you can definitely feel the difference, more planted front end.

Good luck.
Thanks - I read the 17 pages and at the last picture there is no splitter on the car, it looks stock. haha They never even talked about installing the rods, oops.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

cobrakidz said:
Thanks - I read the 17 pages and at the last picture there is no splitter on the car, it looks stock. haha They never even talked about installing the rods, oops.

Strange

I read through all the different instructions sheets when I installed mine in May. Worked out well for me. I guess there are too many changes between the two models.

Sorry.

GB218

TMO Addict
It's kind of misleading as the LS OEM kits I've seen come with the mounting bracket, splitter, & hardware - but not the lower grill.

I was reading a set of installation instruction online: when it was time to reinstall the lower grill they stated "install new grill". There was no mention of it needing to be swapped out or replaced anywhere else (at least that I could find). That's what made me start this thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions on the alternative grills, as the OEM grill is "pricey".

I'll be trolling eBay and BMO -Parts for Sale- looking for a lower grill at a reasonable price. If anyone knows of anybody selling one ......

Thanks again,

GB218

GB218

TMO Addict
DG#56 said:
I have a new mounting bracket laying around if you need one.

Thanks for the offer DG#56. I picked one up about a week ago.

Any other buyers?

cobrakidz said:
Thanks for the info - why can't the lower Boss grille be used with the splitter?
You can use it but you need to cut an opening for the support rods.

I bought Jabooh's lower LS grille. The LS grill does indeed have much bigger honeycomb openings, which is required to put the rods through. So either buy an LS grille, cut your stock one, or delete your lower completely.

cobrakidz said:
I went to Ford today to check on the mount bracket for the splitter - they said the M17A626MB number is no good ? Any help?
I purchased M-17A626-MB. You can never trust those guys working at dealers so have them check again. ;)

http://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com/body-parts/functional/bracket-2010-13-mustang-laguna-seca-splitter-m-17a626-mb/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0NytBRD-1d3QsdHNpR0SJACGXqgRdcLY8Qw2lzjqXvxwyX6QlkxhwJMXRtFFvfOZox59vRoCw2nw_wcB

Most Ford dealers do not deal with the Racing Parts catalog. I have run into this before. That is why they show the # to be no good. Do some online searching & you will find the # you need. Look in a Ford Racing Parts catalog. Got nothing to do with knowledge or lack thereof. The guys at most dealers just don't deal with the stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors