The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased the Ford Racing Boss lowering springs and a J&M adjustable Panhard rod for my Boss. My car is 95% of the time a street car and at some point I'd like to take it to a road course. I've been told I should also get adjustable LCAs and a relocation bracket. Am I just being oversold or do I really need all this stuff and the car be fine without it?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You don't "need" the LCAs or relo brackets, and you can certainly drive the car on a track without them.
Once you start building experience and trying to squeeze all of the handling performance out of the car, you'll want to add them.

Enjoy!

The adjustable LCA's are not required. When lowering your car it's a good idea to also get the relocation brackets to keep the LCA's at the proper angle. To lower your car properly you'll need:

Springs
Adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle
Relocation brackets to maintain the proper LCA angle
Front end alignment

Good luck and post photos after you get the springs installed.

Like ArizonaGT said, they aren't required but recommended, also whichever shop/seller you spoke to might be very performance oriented and feel like it is required. Also, if and when you go to a track day you will most likely catch the bug and end up seeing a need for the brackets and LCA's and everything else.

isrboss

If you have the money buy the brackets and LCA's, and just be aware the factory LCA's don't work with some of the brackets.

You dont need adjustable LCAs, I have them, but def dont need them. Relocation brackets help to get the LCA's in correct position. I noticed that even with a 1-1.5 inch drop in the back, the LCAs were out of whack. So fixed lca's and relos would be no problem.

Thanks for the input guys! The shop doing the work is very performance oriented but I didn't want to go crazy day one. Just lower it a little to get rid of the 4x4 look while still retaining at least OEM performance levels.

The local car wash has an automated track so clearance could be an issue with a relocation brackets. What relocation bracket would you suggest with the stock LCAs and if I went aftermarket what's a good LCA/bracket combo?

likeaboss302 said:
Thanks for the input guys! The shop doing the work is very performance oriented but I didn't want to go crazy day one. Just lower it a little to get rid of the 4x4 look while still retaining at least OEM performance levels.

The local car wash has an automated track so clearance could be an issue with a relocation brackets. What relocation bracket would you suggest with the stock LCAs and if I went aftermarket what's a good LCA/bracket combo?
I am tickled to death with the Whiteline LCA's and brackets, also I could be wrong but I thought the owners manual said not to use an automatic car wash with a track.

Brandon302 said:
I am tickled to death with the Whiteline LCA's and brackets, also I could be wrong but I thought the owners manual said not to use an automatic car wash with a track.

I haven't had any issues yet. I normally wash my own cars but this place does a really good job and the apartment complex I'm in doesn't have anywhere for me to do a hand wash.

I was looking at the Ford Racing LCAs because they didn't look like they sat as low as others. However, from what I've read they don't play well with some aftermarket LCAs and they don't work with the stock ones.

likeaboss302 said:
I haven't had any issues yet. I normally wash my own cars but this place does a really good job and the apartment complex I'm in doesn't have anywhere for me to do a hand wash.

I was looking at the Ford Racing LCAs because they didn't look like they sat as low as others. However, from what I've read they don't play well with some aftermarket LCAs and they don't work with the stock ones.
I believe that's right, also I think the Whiteline brackets bolt up in at least one more place then the FRPP ones. You shouldn't have to worry about the brackets sitting to low, I have gone over some high speed bumps and they never scrape. Which shop is doing the install?

likeaboss302 said:

Just get both, the Ford Racing LCAs and the Ford racing LCA relocation brackets,

isrboss

colticus said:
Just get both, the Ford Racing LCAs and the Ford racing LCA relocation brackets,

I second this. I have this setup and once I got some bushings that were the correct size, all is good. The great thing about FRPP, if I have an issue, I call Marty and it arrives at my door next day. Ford Racing has the best customer service, PERIOD!

Look at my sig pic and you can see the FRPP relocation bracket.

colticus said:

Just ordered this combo from AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake aka Tousley. Looking forward to getting everything on. The only part of have that's non Ford Racing is the adjustible Panhard rod from J&M. However, it seems to get good reviews on American Muscle and I doubt you can really screw something like that up.

likeaboss302 said:
Just ordered this combo from AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake aka Tousley. Looking forward to getting everything on. The only part I have that's non Ford Racing is the adjustable Panhard rod from J&M. However, it seems to get good reviews on American Muscle and I doubt you can really screw something like that up.

Putting $239 dollar springs on got expensive quick! Thanks everyone for your help. I'll be sure to take pics! :)

How do the T springs handle over bumpy roads, the P springs get a little bouncy and I don't think they are stiff enough for the drop.

likeaboss302 said:
Got the springs installed today! The car feels great and the drop is perfect in my eyes.

9264460107_739a0d7cac_o.jpg

Is that with an empty trunk???

Throw some weight back there and it might look like Erasmus B. Dragon...

My two pennies

TMO Supporting Vendors