The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about Road Atlanta between T10 and T11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what I am trying to figure out is, what I should be doing with throttle and brakes as I crest the hill under the bridge? In a lot of ways the car feels like I could keep my foot in it, but looking up hill I think I'll fly away. So I let off. The car definitely feels light as you crest the hill and go down, but I don't feel uneasy because of the car. Another thing I struggle with is I tend to be right at a shift point as I get to the top. Clutching in as I crest the hill seems and feels very unwise. I did change from the 3.15 gears to 3.73 gears since my last go, so I hope the shift can be earlier before I get to the top.
Do people just go full throttle right over the top? Can you tap the brakes to settle the cars weight? Obviously I'm 100% throttle out of 10b, but maybe 80% throttle as you crest the hill flat out through turn 11 until breaking for 12? I've struggle with the shift for sure in that area, but as I get that figured out, I'd also like some opinion on the throttle.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I have 100's of laps at Road Atlanta but still have a lot to learn. Here's my approach:
  • 3rd gear full throttle out of 10b
  • Transition eyes to the middle of the yellow and red squares (left and middle squares) on the bridge
  • Pass under the bridge with the middle line of the squares on the middle of the car
  • Just under the bridge you will feel a flat spot in the track, shift to 4th in this spot as the car is most settled (never do I touch the brakes under the bridge)
  • After shifting throttle to about 75% until apex of turn 12
  • Transition eyes to the end of the "gator" strip on the left side (towards the bottom of the hill) of the track
  • Once car is pointed correctly eyes start to transition to track out of turn 12
  • Start turn 12 turn in when left front is at the end of the "gator" strip
  • Late apex turn 12 and track all the way out while unwinding the steering wheel onto the front straight
Hope this helps. Again I am always learning and not a pro by any means but this approach to the bridge works well for me :)

When is your next trip to Road Atlanta?

Cheers

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
I have 100's of laps at Road Atlanta but still have a lot to learn. Here's my approach:
  • 3rd gear full throttle out of 10b
  • Transition eyes to the middle of the yellow and red squares (left and middle squares) on the bridge
  • Pass under the bridge with the middle line of the squares on the middle of the car
  • Just under the bridge you will feel a flat spot in the track, shift to 4th in this spot as the car is most settled (never do I touch the brakes under the bridge)
  • After shifting throttle to about 75% until apex of turn 12
  • Transition eyes to the end of the "gator" strip on the left side (towards the bottom of the hill) of the track
  • Once car is pointed correctly eyes start to transition to track out of turn 12
  • Start turn 12 turn in when left front is at the end of the "gator" strip
  • Late apex turn 12 and track all the way out while unwinding the steering wheel onto the front straight
Hope this helps. Again I am always learning and not a pro by any means but this approach to the bridge works well for me :)

When is your next trip to Road Atlanta?

Cheers
Great advice. I don't have 100s of laps there yet but this is what I try to do. Full throttle until crest of the hill then feather off some. Most shift to 4th at the crest- I have also shifted to 4th at the apex of 12 but it doesn't feel as good there. I don't think braking is advised anywhere in this section.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Great advice. I don't have 100s of laps there yet but this is what I try to do. Full throttle until crest of the hill then feather off some. Most shift to 4th at the crest- I have also shifted to 4th at the apex of 12 but it doesn't feel as good there. I don't think braking is advised anywhere in this section.
Agreed, no braking anywhere in this section. Also I would advise against shifting in the apex of a corner. You want the car to be stable and planted throughout the turn. All shifting and braking (unless trail braking technique is being used at turn in) should be done prior to turn in or after track out.

Do you run Road Atlanta often? Maybe I will see you there sometime.

Cheers

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
Agreed, no braking anywhere in this section. Also I would advise against shifting in the apex of a corner. You want the car to be stable and planted throughout the turn. All shifting and braking (unless trail braking technique is being used at turn in) should be done prior to turn in or after track out.

Do you run Road Atlanta often? Maybe I will see you there sometime.
I hope to get to Road Atlanta again soon but I don't have any days scheduled there just yet. CMP this coming weekend and VIR a couple of more weekends but that's it for my track plans for now...

TMO Supporting Vendors