The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about the Boss 302 track key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all. I'm currently saving money to buy a used 2012 or 2013 boss 302. Right now I'm about 10 months or so away, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can between now and then.

I read that the "track only" key is an option, and only the original owner can pay to have it programmed. Is this really the case? How much does it cost? Also, does modifying the car render the key useless?

Is there anything I need to know, be aware of or look out for when I'm ready to start hunting?

Welcome to BMO. Anyone can have TracKey, or TK as it's known here, programmed. Ford Racing and your local Ford dealer will take anyone's money. ;) Headers work fine with TK but if you're going to go beyond that you might skip TK and go to an aftermarket tune. It all depends on what you're going to do with the car. Are you into the track or drag strip or just cruising on the weekends?

As far as what to look for remember the cars have a 36 month/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and 60 month/60,000 mile power train warranty so you could still be covered if you buy a relatively low mile vehicle. Of course get a carfax and check for accidents. I'd want a one owner car with as low as miles as you can find. Good luck with your hunt and ask any questions you have.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
PsyopGoat said:
Hello all. I'm currently saving money to buy a used 2012 or 2013 boss 302. Right now I'm about 10 months or so away, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can between now and then.

I read that the "track only" key is an option, and only the original owner can pay to have it programmed. Is this really the case? How much does it cost? Also, does modifying the car render the key useless?

Is there anything I need to know, be aware of or look out for when I'm ready to start hunting?

Welcome to the forum,
You have good taste in cars. The Boss will not disappoint but does have a few weak spots. You can read about them here on BMO as no slack is cut for the car. So if buying used like I did get the car checked out. Main weak point is the transmission. Ford had to rebuild mine like lots of others. Car has 5 year power train warranty so even a 12 is covered till 16 or 17. Questions like the Track key? Just do a search here on BMO and most everything has been covered. Lots to learn from others.
If you are 10 months away , you will have the new S-550 out. Might see more used Mustangs on the market I think. Good luck with your Boss hunting.

The owners package was a little bonus original owners received a month or two after they took delivery of their Boss. Among the things included is a Boss owner's certificate stating the date that Boss was produced along with the sequence number the car's color came in. It also came with 2 CD's, an intake resembling key chain, 2 posters & a book recalling the history of the Boss. So when looking for your Boss ask to see if it is included in the purchase. Your best bet is thru a private seller as most dealers don't have a clue about it.

302BOB said:
The owners package was a little bonus original owners received a month or two after they took delivery of their Boss. Among the things included are a Boss owner's certificate stating the date that Boss was produced with the sequence number your color came in. It also came with 2 CD's, an intake resembling key chain, 2 posters & a book recalling the history of the Boss. So when looking for your Boss ask to see if it is included in the purchase. Your best bet is thru a private seller as most dealers don't have a clue about it.

Ah, very cool and I will do that!

Thank you all for the information. I've had 3 "play" cars in the past and I'm long overdue for another. I've been tempted to buy (what I consider) lesser options, like a well restored '93 GT or Cobra, because I hate having to wait. But I've decided that my next fun car is going to be one I want to keep in the family for life. I just have to suck it up and wait so I can buy what I really want.

The cars I've owned in the past.

99 Corvette coup, automatic (boo!). I settled for auto because I got a good deal on a used one.

01 Saleen S281 (bought new). It was the non-SC. I fell in love with its nasty good looks and good handling, but I was disappointed in the stock power output. IMO, WAY overpriced. I also disliked the fake, non-functional hood scoop. To Saleen's credit, IMO they still have the best body designs out there.

69 "Mach 1" Mustang. I put "Mach 1" in quotes because I got suckered. It had the Mach 1 hood and the title even said "Mach 1", but a Mustang mechanic informed me it was just a regular Mustang. I sold it when I PCS'd (I'm active military).

Unfortunately I didn't grow in a garage and never learned the nuts and bolts of cars and auto-mechanics, so I made some bad decisions. So now I'm going to make sure I do lots and lots of homework before I pull the trigger on my next car.

Cheers!

302BOB said:
Goat, you won't be disappointed in the output of the Boss...trust me ;)

I have no doubt. How is the handling? I haven't driven a new Mustang, but all the reviews I've read showing the regular GT with Track Package getting smoked on a road course by the Carmaro SLP SS.

I've ridden in the new Camaros and they sit real low, whereas the Mustangs look like they have a high center of gravity.

Granted, I know the Boss will do better, but I'm just wondering by how much.

A side note: the base interior of the Camaro is awful.

PsyopGoat said:
I have no doubt. How is the handling? I haven't driven a new Mustang, but all the reviews I've read showing the regular GT with Track Package getting smoked on a road course by the Carmaro SLP SS.

I've ridden in the new Camaros and they sit real low, whereas the Mustangs look like they have a high center of gravity.

Granted, I know the Boss will do better, but I'm just wondering by how much.

A side note: the base interior of the Camaro is awful.
Got a link to where a GT TP car is getting SMOKED by an expensive modified aftermarket SLP Camaro? Oh and comparing an aftermarket car to a stock one is pointless.

Why don't you go drive a GT TP car and see what you think instead of speculating on a high center of gravity.

NFSBOSS said:
Got a link to where a GT TP car is getting SMOKED by an expensive modified aftermarket SLP Camaro? Oh and comparing an aftermarket car to a stock one is pointless.

Why don't you go drive a GT TP car and see what you think instead of speculating on a high center of gravity.

I misspoke when I said SLP. It was the 1LE performance package, Camaro's equivalent to GT's Track Package.

This SS 1LE Performance Package bears the iconic 1LE option code that is a Camaro® legend. This competition-ready package has been coveted by both Camaro owners and track enthusiasts. This SS 1LE Performance Package includes:

20" x 10" front and 20" x 11" rear aluminum wheels with a 10-spoke design from the ZL1™ and a low-gloss Black finish
285/35ZR20 Goodyear® Eagle® Supercar® Generation 2 performance summer tires1, front and rear
Performance Ride and Handling suspension with front and rear stabilizer bars for excellent body control and vehicle responsiveness
TREMEC® 6-speed manual transmission with a 3.91 final-drive axle ratio

In any event..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1le_ford_mustang_gt_track_pack/winner.html

http://americanautosport.net/chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-ford-mustang-gt-track-pack-head-2-head-episode-25/

I'm not hating on the Mustang. I'd still much rather own GT over an SS. Just keeping it real.

Good luck finding a 1LE anywhere, let alone on a track. Those magazine tests are ridiculous. I'd like to see a 1LE go to to toe with a Boss on the track...so far we are still waiting. The standard SS isn't even in the same league as the Boss. Go with the Boss, you won't have any regrets. The Boss is definitely a step up from a GT TP.

Guys I'm not arguing on behalf of the Camaro. As I said, I would even take a GT over one. For the Boss it's not even a question.

I basically was just asking how the handling of the Boss compares to a regular GT with the Track Package.

Just remember that the Boss has the Roadrunner Engine. This motor just screams and has a great power band all the way to 7500rpm and Great sound. This is what sets the Boss apart from the GT TP.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PsyopGoat said:
I basically was just asking how the handling of the Boss compares to a regular GT with the Track Package.

In stock form the handling characteristics aren't *that* different. Most of the people who frequently track their cars change most of the suspension anyway. The main difference is the engine. The Boss engine is just amazing. I have an older '11 'brembo' GT (before the track pack option) and it's taken a fair amount of mods to get it to feel/handle like my mostly stock Boss when lowered on P springs.

About that 1LE comparison...I know you weren't bashing the GT. The main difference in those two cars stock are the tires. The TP GT comes on 255/40-19 P Zeros vs. 285. That ALONE can easily be worth 3 seconds at Streets of Willow. On such a short/slow track, corner speed is King. For my GT, going from the stock 255s to Hankook 275/35-18s was worth 2-3 seconds at streets. Heck, my GT on the Hankooks was a solid 2 seconds faster that my Boss on the stock P zeros at Laguna Seca.

Anyway, you didn't answer Rick's question about what you intend to use the car for and I'd also ask what level of mods you're interested in.

If you're stationed in SoCal, I could let you ride in both and see for yourself!

Grant 302 said:
In stock form the handling characteristics aren't *that* different. Most of the people who frequently track their cars change most of the suspension anyway. The main difference is the engine. The Boss engine is just amazing. I have an older '11 'brembo' GT (before the track pack option) and it's taken a fair amount of mods to get it to feel/handle like my mostly stock Boss when lowered on P springs.

About that 1LE comparison...I know you weren't bashing the GT. The main difference in those two cars stock are the tires. The TP GT comes on 255/40-19 P Zeros vs. 285. That ALONE can easily be worth 3 seconds at Streets of Willow. On such a short/slow track, corner speed is King. For my GT, going from the stock 255s to Hankook 275/35-18s was worth 2-3 seconds at streets. Heck, my GT on the Hankooks was a solid 2 seconds faster that my Boss on the stock P zeros at Laguna Seca.

Anyway, you didn't answer Rick's question about what you intend to use the car for and I'd also ask what level of mods you're interested in.

If you're stationed in SoCal, I could let you ride in both and see for yourself!

It's mostly going to be a street weekend fun car. I don't want to do any major modifications because I want to keep it as an original boss 302. At most I will probably end up adding some minor bolt ons, like a CAI and headers.

I've never been to a track or dragstrip, but I do have long-term plans to eventually visit both. But before I ever take it on a curvy track I will want to take a race driving course. I just think I will get more from the experience and have less of a chance of sliding into a wall if I've had some kind of training. I'm not one of those guys who can afford five different toy cars. This is essentially my one dream car.

The reason I want to take up racing isn't really for the competition. It's so I have a place I can go all out wide-open throttle without worrying about the police or getting into a wreck on a public street.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
PsyopGoat said:
Guys I'm not arguing on behalf of the Camaro. As I said, I would even take a GT over one. For the Boss it's even a question.

OK, the Boss is the pinnacle of S-197 platform for road coarse driving. It is set up as a track car from Ford with its mission to beat the E-90 /E-92 M-3. Equal drivers and the Boss will leave the GT track pack on the track as well as the M-3. You can read all about it in the book that comes with the owners kit. Or you can buy one off amazon now so you can read up on it. This is a special car. Many tests of the car and reviews just goggle reviews Boss 302.
Having said this, time does march on and other car manufacturers have responded with ever more capable cars. Ford included in this. The new S-550 platform will move the bar up several notches with the new GT eclipsing the Boss around the track, per Ford. The new GT-350 will be above that and what ever other trick models they come out with will be at new levels of performance. The Boss was built to beat the BMW M-3, the S-550 has its sights on the Porsche 911. You might want to wait a little longer and pick up a 2015 GT. Just saying.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PsyopGoat said:
It's mostly going to be a street weekend fun car. I don't want to do any major modifications because I want to keep it as an original boss 302. At most I will probably end up adding some minor bolt ons, like a CAI and headers.

I've never been to a track or dragstrip, but I do have long-term plans to eventually visit both. But before I ever take it on a curvy track I will want to take a race driving course. I just think I will get more from the experience and have less of a chance of sliding into a wall if I've had some kind of training. I'm not one of those guys who can afford five different toy cars. This is essentially my one dream car.

The reason I want to take up racing isn't really for the competition. It's so I have a place I can go all out wide-open throttle without worrying about the police or getting into a wreck on a public street.

I think the Boss would fit your needs...but a '15 or '16 TP GT might too.

Be careful about trying to do just a *little* road course time...it's addicting!!

Domestic Product said:
OK, the Boss is the pinnacle of S-197 platform for road coarse driving. It is set up as a track car from Ford with its mission to beat the E-90 /E-92 M-3. Equal drivers and the Boss will leave the GT track pack on the track as well as the M-3. You can read all about it in the book that comes with the owners kit. Or you can buy one off amazon now so you can read up on it. This is a special car. Many tests of the car and reviews just goggle reviews Boss 302.
Having said this, time does march on and other car manufacturers have responded with ever more capable cars. Ford included in this. The new S-550 platform will move the bar up several notches with the new GT eclipsing the Boss around the track, per Ford. The new GT-350 will be above that and what ever other trick models they come out with will be at new levels of performance. The Boss was built to beat the BMW M-3, the S-550 has its sights on the Porsche 911. You might want to wait a little longer and pick up a 2015 GT. Just saying.

The 2015 models will be out by the time I'm ready to buy, and I thought about getting one of those instead. This may sound silly, but I just can't do it because I don't like the way they look. I thought since '94 that Ford has done a good job styling the Mustang to look like a modern muscle car. But to me the 2015 design looks more like a poor man's Aston Martin. It's a shame because I like everything else about it they've released so far. I'm not even turned off by the optional in-line Turbo four. I'd still prefer a V-8 but to me that's pretty freaking cool. Over 300 hp, I imagine the engine is a lot lighter and since it already has forced air the boost can be tweaked. I bet you there's going to be a ton of really fast inline-4 mustangs out there. It's going to add variety to the hobby.

TMO Supporting Vendors