The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question about wheel centering rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd find some aluminum rings. Check Tire Rack as they stock a wide variety of sizes.

I tried finding metal/aluminum rings with no luck. I run the wheels with the plastic rings installed, but I do not use the center caps as they will get loose and fall out with heat. I think leaving the center caps off also helps let some heat out. I have had my wheels so hot you wouldn't want to touch them for long and the plastic rings have not melted.

You can purchase a set of aluminum hub centric rings from 1010tires.com I had a set of these on some aftermarket wheels and they worked perfectly. http://www.1010tires.com/accessories/T3/0mm---0mm-Hub-Centre-Rings-(Set-of-4)-HRMX-1011-p60632

2012Boss302 said:
I just put a set of Forgestar wheels on my car. They came with these little plastic rings that help center the wheels.

When tracking the car do I need to be concerned with these melting?

I forgot to remove my centering rings a few times when changing wheels and stopped using them every since. That was 3 years ago. I too run Forgestars and the wheel and lug nuts self-center without the need of the rings.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yes. But the centering rings, metallic type transfers load from the wheel to the hub removing load from the studs.

This why the hub is there. Running without adds to your chances of breaking a stud along with challenges with centering the wheel.

I have run without, with plastic and now with aluminum ring. Aluminum is the way to go for me. They last the lifetime of the wheel and center the wheel removing slight vibrations a non-centered wheel may induce.

A few bucks per is cheap insurance.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I believe I paid almost $20.00 through Tire Rack, I ordered 5. I hate it when I bend or break something and have to pay additional shipping, so I ordered 5.

One Issue I did find with Tire Rack is that not all Sales Persons are created equal. You have to talk to someone, maybe the only one who knows the performance side of the business.

Can someone help me with his name??

TMSBOSS said:
I believe I paid almost $20.00 through Tire Rack, I ordered 5. I hate it when I bend or break something and have to pay additional shipping, so I ordered 5.

One Issue I did find with Tire Rack is that not all Sales Persons are created equal. You have to talk to someone, maybe the only one who knows the performance side of the business.

Can someone help me with his name??
Luke. The centering rings for the Enkei wheels are ANL750-705 and they will not fit the Forgestar wheels.

I'm supprised more people dont just buy the Forgestars offered thru Vorshlag so the whole centering ring and spacer stuff becomes a none issue.

On a previous car, I've used plastic rings while tracking. The plastic rings do crack once in a while from the heat. But not a big deal, as I've kept using them even when cracked (a single crack). I used to put anti-seize on the face that contacted the hub. That made removing the rings easier when changing wheels, as the rings would get stuck on the hub from the heat.

Also, if you know your ring dimensions, check ebay. You'd probably find a set of aluminum ones pretty cheap.

2013dibgt said:
I'm supprised more people dont just buy the Forgestars offered thru Vorshlag so the whole centering ring and spacer stuff becomes a none issue.

My Forgestar wheels came from Vorshlag and included the plastic rings. I called them and asked about metal and they said they did not know of anyone that could supply me with metal. I searched the internet and was unable to locate the correct size rings in metal. I was going to have a set machined but so far the plastic has held up.

I believe our hub bore size is 70.5mm, but don't quote me on that!

Previously, I've used a caliper to measure the outer diameter of the hub an inner diameter of the wheel bore.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think 70.5mm is the right size. I prefer not needing rings and I'd only want metal ones myself.

The hub is needed to take the shear. I would NEVER advise someone to run without the right hub bore or at the very least the right adapter ring.

06mach1 said:
My Forgestar wheels came from Vorshlag and included the plastic rings. I called them and asked about metal and they said they did not know of anyone that could supply me with metal. I searched the internet and was unable to locate the correct size rings in metal. I was going to have a set machined but so far the plastic has held up.

Interesting. I dont have any centering rings on mine nor did they ship with any. I've lost count how many times I've had the wheels off the car at this point but from an installation point of view I don't see how they would be needed at all. They seem to self center themselves on the center Hub and the weight of the wheel rides on the center bore verses on the Lug nuts (at least on mine it does).

I used to run a set of Volk CE-28n on an S2000 back in the day that did use the rings and it was clearly obvious you couldn't use the wheels without them as the center hole was too big and woud cause the wheel to rest on the Lugs as mentioned above.

This is interesting that you have rings because there was a bunch of talk on the various forums from Vorshalg when they first went down the path of having their secret offset Forgestars brought to market and one the mentioned benefits of going with their version of the wheel was that no rings or spacers were needed.

For clairity purposes, I'm reffering to the 18x10 F14 wheels as opposed to the other Forgestar offerings.

TMO Supporting Vendors