The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question: drag racing your boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today I was I formed from a friend whose father is a GM executive. According to him, any GM vehicle which incurred damage at a drag strip is not covered under the factory warranty. Will the same apply if something happens to my boss at the drag strip next weekend?
Thanks

I agree! Unbelievable that these manufacturers won't stand behind their product even if it was designed for racing?

95blitz said:
I would thats True. Just don't tell the them you was drag racing .
I do not agree the car has all over it racing even a track key you can not tell me they wont cover it but I am more then sure they will not cover a crash and do not believe your insurance will either.

Mcode said:
Today I was I formed from a friend whose father is a GM executive. According to him, any GM vehicle which incurred damage at a drag strip is not covered under the factory warranty. Will the same apply if something happens to my boss at the drag strip next weekend?
Thanks

Check your warranty

My friend, obviously. I don't know of many people who would allow their friend to drag race their car?
I should've been more specific, say your engine blow up. Then what?

I did check the warranty and it's very obtuse?

If you say. I was at the drag strip last night and when I shifted into "what ever gear" the boom the blew. That are going to say how do wish to pay for it credit card check or cash. Because that is owner abuse. Now if you say I was riding down the road then boom the engine blew. He will say hhhhmmm wonder why oh well looms like it could be a new motor on ford.

95blitz said:
If you say. I was at the drag strip last night and when I shifted into "what ever gear" the boom the blew. That are going to say how do wish to pay for it credit card check or cash. Because that is owner abuse. Now if you say I was riding down the road then boom the engine blew. He will say hhhhmmm wonder why oh well looms like it could be a new motor on ford.
Any chance you can re-post this in english?

If I blew my motor at the track what I would say to my dealer is I was tooling down the road at 60 in 6th gear and boom the damn motor blew up.

ok as for the question here is a couple of cut out statments from Ford these are the reasons I would believe they would honor the warranty----

As an aftermarket product, TracKey comes with a “best-in-the-aftermarket industry” 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, and its installation and usage does not void the original OE warranty.

Ford Racing has done just about everything possible to give TracKey users a full race car experience,” explains Jeff Seaman, Mustang powertrain engineer. “It’s not intended for use on the street

With these two statments I would believe you would have not a single problem unless possibly you do not have the track key then it would be excluded

We have been back and forth on this a few times, but if they qualify it as abuse they will not cover it. Is drag racing abuse when they gave us launch control? Nissan tried that with GTR trannies and it caused a ****storm. I doubt Ford wants that kind of problems, plus I doubt there will be that many that were not caused by missed shifts etc. which would pretty clearly be qualified as abuse. Once your regular warranty ends and you are on the drivetrain warranty, it becomes pretty fuzzy as they have said both ways whether the TK voids that part of the warranty when damage is caused by the TK calibrations. Personally, I think if you fought it and poured a bunch of money into it, you could win based on their conflicting statements. But it would not be worth the cost. Most people seem to disagree with me, and it basically would be down to the judge's discretion on interpretation of conflicts between marketing and warranty. My friend who is a big time trial lawyer and has dealt with similar issues said he wrote off his draivetrain warranty when he got TK, if that means anything.

That said, if you are going to be using the car for any sort of competition then you should be prepared in case they don't cover it. Just like regular insurance won't cover it if you crash.

TMO Supporting Vendors