The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question from a GT Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all,

Well it seems I will be joining the ranks of Boss owners soon (at least placing an order). I currently have a 2011 GT Premium, Brembo's, 3.73's and glass roof. Outside of the Shaker sound system, Sync and power seats what other creature comforts will I be going without? The radio and Sync aren't an issue, as it still has an Aux in it appears. The Recaros trump the power seats. So I don't think I will miss anything.

From what I've heard is that these cars are still civilized enough (noise, NVH, etc) for primary transportation.

Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The BOSS is built on the Base (300A) GT, so look at the spec sheet for that car for comparison. It's pretty much a Base GT with a better steering wheel and door trim, on the inside. Don't skimp on the Recaro/Torsen option.

GA
Personally, I don't think going from a 2011 GT with Brembos and 3.73 to a Boss will give you that a big of a wow factor as if you were coming from 4.6L Mustang. I guess it will depend on your driving style and whether or not you track the car, and how big the Boss thing is to you. If you will be trading it in and the Boss will be a daily driver, there could be some remorse (not to mention you will lose your shirt on a trade) regarding loss of creature comforts and driving a lowered car with a splitter on it. Not trying to talk you out of it, just thinking out loud. I wish you the best with it.

Aside from losing the Shaker sound, Synch, and leather seats you will also be going to the 4 gauge cluster, I think no ambient lighting or My Color dash, a more plasticky interior, and no auto dimming rear view mirror. I figure if you're all about performance and don't care about the other stuff on a daily basis, then you'll be in heaven.

I have to agree with PJ on this one. Add a FR suspension and some racing seats and you'll have 9/10 of the feel of the Boss. If you want it because you'll be tracking or racing it on a regular biases then the Boss would be worth it.

Well the GT will be paid off in August and so by selling it I could pay cash for the Boss. I'm really regretting the black on the GT and the leather from Ford is terrible. So I started thinking about trading up to either a Boss or a Shelby (disposable income is not always a good thing). I like the Shelbys but the extra mpg and feel of the new 5.0 trumps it imho. Ive only autocrossed a few times in my life and I enjoyed it. I could start to upgrade the GT but it will decrease in value overtime at a greater rate than a Boss. Ultimately this would be primary transportation for nice weather. At the end of the day, I want to go fast and have a dead sexy car. I think a RR with Recaros would meet that definition and have that wow factor.

The point about value in the GT is valid. Although I got an awesome deal, I'd still lose $3k or so based on what I've seen in the market. That's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely open to opinions though. Boss or Shelby or just suck it up an deal with the issues on the GT?

My only comment is buy one off the lot and not order it. They are now on the lot for MSRP or less and you don't have the potential nightmare of the wait.

What appeals to me about the Boss is that it's not a car your going to see on the road. The Boss is what I call a purists car. It does not have all the bells and whistles but who needs that? My criteria= Best bang for the buck, good handling, comfort (from a drivers point of view, not an electronic gizmo point of view), manual transmission, and finally......something that your not going to see everyday. I like to tweak my cars, but the Boss really needs nothing. Trackey and I'll call it a day. Possibly down the road I would like to add some PSI to the motor, but that's not needed. First mod for my Boss with be an extensive detail....., that's all it needs.

GA
AZBoss302 said:
What appeals to me about the Boss is that it's not a car your going to see on the road. The Boss is what I call a purists car. It does not have all the bells and whistles but who needs that? My criteria= Best bang for the buck, good handling, comfort (from a drivers point of view, not an electronic gizmo point of view), manual transmission, and finally......something that your not going to see everyday. I like to tweak my cars, but the Boss really needs nothing. Trackey and I'll call it a day. Possibly down the road I would like to add some PSI to the motor, but that's not needed. First mod for my Boss with be an extensive detail....., that's all it needs.

That pretty much sums up the 2008 Bullitt too. The Bullitt was kind of the Boss of the '05-'09 generation. It is not quite as stripped as the Boss, but not so many bells as whistles as a regular GT. I rarely see one on the road.

Fat Boss said:
My only comment is buy one off the lot and not order it. They are now on the lot for MSRP or less and you don't have the potential nightmare of the wait.
I agree with this.

GA
FalconGuy1965 said:
Well the GT will be paid off in August and so by selling it I could pay cash for the Boss. I'm really regretting the black on the GT and the leather from Ford is terrible. So I started thinking about trading up to either a Boss or a Shelby (disposable income is not always a good thing). I like the Shelbys but the extra mpg and feel of the new 5.0 trumps it imho. Ive only autocrossed a few times in my life and I enjoyed it. I could start to upgrade the GT but it will decrease in value overtime at a greater rate than a Boss. Ultimately this would be primary transportation for nice weather. At the end of the day, I want to go fast and have a dead sexy car. I think a RR with Recaros would meet that definition and have that wow factor.

The point about value in the GT is valid. Although I got an awesome deal, I'd still lose $3k or so based on what I've seen in the market. That's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely open to opinions though. Boss or Shelby or just suck it up an deal with the issues on the GT?

I would like to have your excess disposable income problem. ;) I agree about Ford's leather and black paint. My Bullitt driver's seat look a lot more than 3 years old. My fiance has a black '08 convertible and the paint has not held up well.

PJWANNABE said:
I agree about Ford's leather and black paint. My Bullitt driver's seat look a lot more than 3 years old.

You may not find GM all that much better. I think there is something about sliding in and out and creases that put a hurting on the leather. I had the same issue with corvettes. Fortunately, I was able to get them replaced under warranty, timed out right before the warranty expired.
My SUVs and trucks have never had the same issues, leadng to my theory that the way you get in and out (low sports car vs tall truck/SUV) may cause a lot more wear.

The thinking started when I saw a RR 11 GT which was almost the same as my car sans the leather. I thought about trading straight up, but figured the Boss isn't that much more. I'm in my mid 20's with no real responsibilities and wondered how times in my life I'd get an opportunity to own a car like this.

GA
FalconGuy1965 said:
The thinking started when I saw a RR 11 GT which was almost the same as my car sans the leather. I thought about trading straight up, but figured the Boss isn't that much more. I'm in my mid 20's with no real responsibilities and wondered how times in my life I'd get an opportunity to own a car like this.

Who knows what the future is going to be like in 20 years, so if you can, I say do it now.

That being said, I should probably just break into my 401K before the government makes it worthless and go buy a Boss. ;D

PJWANNABE said:
I say do it now.

That's how I got mine. I read an article about it, got the bug and said 'screw it'. On the way to the dealer, I was driving my wife crazy, going back and forth between, 'do it & " don't do it".

I finally realized - you only live once! No regrets looking back now.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
That being said, I should probably just break into my 401K before the government makes it worthless and go buy a Boss. ;D
Always a bad idea. Just wait until next year or beyond and find a nice used garage queen.

Yeah, I was kidding about that. I learned from my Bullitt experience just to have a little patience.

Just an update, a dealer 20 minutes from me got a RR with Recaros in. I'm trying to get the small ADM off as they are offering me a very fair value for the 11 considering some rock chips and the leather situation. If I get the ADM off, I'm buying it.

TMO Supporting Vendors