The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question regarding Race Fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The E85 went well. I have it on a flex tune so I can swap to normal fuel if I choose. I used dedicated E85 race fuel for the runway event and had no issues what so ever. The only benchmark I have for improvement is the top speed against one other S550. It was an auto, same year and on unleaded. I out paced hime over 1000 metres by 4 km/hr and I have a manual.

Where I live E85 is actually more expensive than 98 ULP so economically it doesn't add up, and being winter here at the moment starting is a little harder, but not a show stopper.

All in all if I know I'm doing an event I'll run the car down and use E85, and unleaded for day to day. Hope that helps.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Always good to hear from you and many of us in the Midwestern part of the US are seriously considering a similar switch. We are in the two top producing States for E85 in Nebraska and Iowa, and with race fuel at 8-10 dollars a gallon, it is hard not to consider switching to almost pure ethanol. E85 is under two dollars at many stations here, though quality can vary.My son runs E85 in his EVO 9 and there is almost an underground network with racers, and most scope out the better stations. He gets his fuel now from one that virtually always is in the 90% range.

Keep posting from Down Under and seems to be a good year , so far for McLaughlin and Coulthard!!??

Hi Bill, the mustangs are killing it down here this year. They have have multiple changes to try and keep the parity but the drivers and teams supporting the cars are thinking one step ahead of the others it seems.

Was in your fair country in July, went to the Larry Park Memorial autocross weekend at Crows Landing. Got put into a bunch of cars for rides and had a blast. Your so lucky to have so many venues and groups that support this type and all types of motorsport. Will definitely have to do it again.

I've been running Sunoco 260GT 100 with a tune from Shaun at AED for the last two months. I have no idea if I have more power than when I was running the 93 octane tune but the car runs like a bear. I was buying 5 gallon pails at first but I had a 55 gallon drum delivered to my home and bought a hand pump. Works great and saved me some money as well.

It's a manual pump.....no power. Is there something else I should be doing? Shipping was about $100 via box truck so it was able to come up my driveway. I think the whole invoice was about $550 with taxes. Still easier than buying 5 gallon cans.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Stangra is spot on. Fires are started when someone fills a gas can in the back of a pickup. Why? No bonding. Place the fuel can on the ground before filling and it’s bonded.
Refuelers in aviation are required to bond before connecting to or putting fuel nozzle into an aircraft. All to prevent a disaster.
If you have a fuel drum in a trailer or in your garage/shop. Be sure to use bonding. The car or life you save could be your own. Although it may seem like over kill, it’s a damned good habit to develop.

Thanks for this......good information. If I'm using a plastic fuel container then I would think that doesn't require a ground? I always keep the plastic jug on the concrete floor when I'm filling it. I can ground the drum and hopefully that gives me some protection.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yep. The worst think we can do is fill into a container which is isolated from ground A fuel can in the back of a truck is the classic case, no ground or bonding. Static in the can ignited fuel vapors in the can and the stream of fuel from the nozzle.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98111

Not sure how this is a “disease” but.... CDC covers it well in this link

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bit off subject , but reminder to those of you coming to the Mustang Roundup , as well as those deciding to come late, there is racing fuel available just about 1/2 mile from the track -- pump race gas (100 octane if I remember correctly).

Pump and Pantry is the closest station to the track and it is the convenience store branch of the Bosselman Truck Stop Corporation. The President of the company is a track rat ( he runs an AC Cobra and a GT 350 in NASA ) and he installed the pump for his fellow track sickos this Summer. The pump only has unleaded race fuel!!!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kind of a cool situation as Mr. Bosselman had 91 octane pumps, but folks asked him how hard it would be to put in racing fuel since the track only had some barrels available at times. He went full tilt and put in actual designated racing fuel pumps and many of us fill our fuel containers when we leave the track also. Super convenient for those that race in Hastings and in Nebraska, and saves many of us from driving to specific outlets that are only open limited hours! Let's just say that with this new addition to one of his Convenience Stores all the track rats in the vicinity are............pumped !!!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel