The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question: When did you do your first oil change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Changed right at 3000 miles (book says every 10k?). I had read all of the posts on here that indicated using quart(s) of oils, and checked mine up to the day that I took to the dealer for oil change and did not use a bit. While there, I asked for a quart of oil to take with me in case of use "since it is hard to find" but didn;t tell them specifics, and they brought me the correct oil. Just kind of a check, since they will not allow people in the garage area.

BOSS1289 said:
Changed right at 3000 miles (book says every 10k?). I had read all of the posts on here that indicated using quart(s) of oils, and checked mine up to the day that I took to the dealer for oil change and did not use a bit.

How did you break yours in?

Me, I've been doing mostly short 25 mile sessions trying to constantly go up and down through the gears. I do a lot of backing off above 3k rpms too which does pull oil past the rings more while seating them.

oldtimer50 said:
I just did mine at 1500 miles. Info to everyone, I watched to make sure that they used the 5W-50. Sure enough the tech came out with 5W-20. I stopped him and got the service rep, who I had showed the Boss supplement on the 8 1/2 qts as well as the 5w-50 requiement. If I hadn't been there, they would have screwed up. The parts rep is the one who thought it was a GT instead of a Boss. Pays to check!

I went ahead and ordered the red track key also. Can't wait.

I just got mine back from 1st oil change. They only put 6 quarts in!!!!! I have to go back.

Ask them what oil they put in, since they already showed they are incompetent. Local dealer here thought they use the regular 5w20

ihatepotholess said:
Will the oil overflow if I put 9 quarts in it?
I was told by a Ford engineer that you can add an extra quart (9.5) to help with cooling. He said it will not cause any crankshaft windage. So to answer your question, no.

ihatepotholess said:
cloud9 said:
ihatepotholess said:
Will the oil overflow if I put 9 quarts in it?
I was told by a Ford engineer that you can add an extra quart (9.5) to help with cooling. He said it will not cause any crankshaft windage. So to answer your question, no.

Thank you! 9 quarts it is!
Do what you want, but I still currently run 8.5. I was told this directly from a Ford engineer and there were several other owners present and we asked more than once. I'm just saying I'm not recommending it or advising against it, just passing on the information. I didn't design the motor ;)

I am sure in time the rings , along with everything else will seat just fine, the oil use we are experiencing may be an overage of what seems to be normal but I'm certain it's from using Full Synthetic oil from the get-go.

I've never done a break-in on an engine with Full Synthetic, always used dino or semi-synthetic while breaking an engine in before the Boss came into my life.

I'm trying to be patient with the oil as is and hoping the metal don't cure before everything is good and seated.

I would think Ford or any manfacturer for that matter would not put Full Synthetic oil in their cars if they were not certain all would be good for their products over long term use.

TMO Supporting Vendors