The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Question: When did you do your first oil change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Just turned 1200 miles. Had originally planned to change oil at this point. A service mgr. at a dealer said wait till at least 2,500 miles.(let the rings seat & new mfg. and oil tech)

Recent previous cars have been turbo charged so I changed their oil at 1,000. The Boss is NA so even with the newer oils, it kind of makes sense to wait a little longer.

What has everyone else done, and why. I view it as "cheap insurance for the motor"! When I checked the oil (THANK GOD FOR A REAL DIPSTICK) it looked very good. Only used a quart in 1200 miles so I think that's pretty good.

Appreciate thoughts!

Cheers!

I broke mine in right to 1000 miles, then hit the track and changed it after that first track event. I used a quart the first two oil changes and none since.

Im at 1200. No change yet...... My dealer said 4000. Wiull probably go 3k or first track weekend. I cant imagine it would hurt to change at 1200 if you want to.

On my turbo car, I did it at 100, 500 and then every 1500 until I started tracking it, and went to after every track event. But Mobil 1 is cheap, even at the oil change place it was only $50 for a change. I am at 400 miles on the Boss, at 330 I put 3/4 quart in. I will probably change it after the first track day, which will probably be about 1-1.5k miles along with the diff and tranny. After that, once a year or 5k miles or after a track event. Unless the oil tells me otherwise.

If you are tracking it, don't forget about the brake fluid too. I bleed it on my track car before every event unless I get lazy, and flush it once a year alternating ATE blue and amber. As I have been getting faster and working the brakes harder, I am probably going to go to a 6 mo flush. If you use a high end dot 4, some of them need to be changed more frequently. Like every 3 or 6 months even on a street car. I like the ATE because it lasts longer than the exotics, but there has been a lot of ATE hate in the domestic scene.

Remember oil isn't the only wear item ;D

Maui
I did mine at around 1900 miles. I did it when I put in my oil pressure sensor for the aeroforce gauge, made sense since I was gonna lose a little bit of oil anyways removing the stock oil pressure sensor...

I did mine at approx 1000 miles as well as the diff and tranny fluid. Everything looked fine but I am a maintenance nut. I think, right or wrong not sure, that there must be some sort of particles from the break-in process. It makes me feel better that I flush that stuff out and fresh fluid is put in.

I believe the 302s owner's manual states to change the oil, trans, and diff fluid every four hours. This would be roughly every two track days for me....

Diff fluid is 4 hours the first time and 12 hours thereafter. Trans fluid every 6 months on a car that gets regular track time and otherwise by the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Back in the day I worked at a speed shop and as soon as we fired off a fresh engine we changed the oil. You wouldn't believe the amount of metal bits that hadn't made it to the filter yet!

I know metallurgy has come along ways since then but there is still possibilities of casting flash, fine metal sharp corners, etc. popping off the pieces as they go through their initial heat cycles.

I am a little to anal with my stuff I guess, even today, I changed the oil as soon as I got home from the dealer. And yes, I did find a few bits of shiny particals in the oil.

I plan on doing it again at 1000 miles.

So far in the 500 miles I've put on the Boss I have added close to a 1/2 a quart, check it after each break-in cycle and have been keeping it at the exact line it was when I brought it home with the factory oil.

hotrodnut said:
I am a little to anal with my stuff I guess, even today, I changed the oil as soon as I got home from the dealer. And yes, I did find a few bits of shiny particals in the oil.

I plan on doing it again at 1000 miles.

I also changed mine as soon as i got home (18 miles). I ran that oil for 1200 miles, then changed it again. Overkill??? Probably.

cloud9 said:
Diff fluid is 4 hours the first time and 12 hours thereafter. Trans fluid every 6 months on a car that gets regular track time and otherwise by the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Are your numbers from the Boss supplement?

I changed mine at 500 miles, I would have waited until 1000 miles but I was hitting the road for a 900 mile road trip and I didn't want to wait until I got back to change it.

1000 miles for oil - have not tracked it yet so have not done the trans or diff - will do those when it warms up and can pour/pump the stuff.

I just did mine at 1500 miles. Info to everyone, I watched to make sure that they used the 5W-50. Sure enough the tech came out with 5W-20. I stopped him and got the service rep, who I had showed the Boss supplement on the 8 1/2 qts as well as the 5w-50 requiement. If I hadn't been there, they would have screwed up. The parts rep is the one who thought it was a GT instead of a Boss. Pays to check!

I went ahead and ordered the red track key also. Can't wait.

TMO Supporting Vendors