The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Questions about lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was thinking about getting either the H&R race springs or the new springs Maximum is coming out with for their grip box. Both drop the car from stock about 2 inches. Does anyone know if with this drop 18's might lower the car too much to be streetable?

You mention H&R springs and street-able in the same paragraph. You should check with Fat Boss on that one. I don't think you'll be happy with that combo on the street. I have P springs which only drop the rear of the car 1" and with my 18" track wheels on the car I need to be very careful on the street. With a 2" drop and 18" wheels you'll be scraping ALL THE TIME. Good luck. ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Rick is right. I'm on P springs and 25.6" tall 275/35-18s and scrape the front of the base Boss splitter frequently. If I ever go any lower, it would only be for the track.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
NFSBOSS said:
You mention H&R springs and street-able in the same paragraph. You should check with Fat Boss on that one. I don't think you'll be happy with that combo on the street. I have P springs which only drop the rear of the car 1" and with my 18" track wheels on the car I need to be very careful on the street. With a 2" drop and 18" wheels you'll be scraping ALL THE TIME. Good luck. ;D

I have P's and 18's. Watch the tranny cooling scoop on speed bumps. Don't ask me how I know...

Gotcha, good to know. I might see then how 19's and H&R's work, I scrape over speed bumps, but I think that is because the stock shocks can't handle the drop of P springs.

Why arent the T-springs popular with the Boss community? They are Boss specific and provide an aesthetic drop. Well, from what I've seen at least, which was a total of 3 cars.

USNjocson said:
Why arent the T-springs popular with the Boss community? They are Boss specific and provide an aesthetic drop. Well, from what I've seen at least, which was a total of 3 cars.
IMO, they took too long to come out. I wanted to wait for the fabled "Boss specific springs" but after almost a year I said screw it and went with P springs. I bet as far as rates the P springs are just as good, and since the T springs seem to lower the car more I don't see how they can be considered made specifically for the Boss. The stock shocks don't seem to handle the drop well enough, mine are stiff and yet bouncy over uneven highway surfaces and I will scrape if I don't creep over speed bumps.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
USNjocson said:
i have the t springs and I love them perfect drop IMO

Yes I am, I always leave out pertinent info. I was going to switch to Koni Yellows, that is another reason why the MMS springs sounded like a good option since they seem to be pared to the Yellows.

And I just checked, the MMS springs are available, 247 and 270 shipped. Do want! On another serious note, with the drop I would assume that I should get a bump steer kit, should I also look into getting the X11 extended ball joints?

Bay Area
I have adjustable coilovers and my tires are 275/40-18 (26 inches tall) The front wheel well from the center to the groud is 27 inches. My rear is set at 28 inches. I do scrap my splitter but not too often. I have hit the exhaust on some high speed bumps. But if I go any lower I would only do it on the track. I hope that helps. Let me know if you want some pics.

OH and dont let anyone over 100 lbs ride in your car. ;)

USNjocson said:
I would've preferred the T-springs, but no one knows the front spring rate. The rears are just K springs so we have an idea about them. I asked the Tech line and they said they couldn't divulge, but I like to actually know what I'm getting. I would love to know the front/rear spring rate balance for them.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
shipdriver said:
I would've preferred the T-springs, but no one knows the front spring rate. The rears are just K springs so we have an idea about them. I asked the Tech line and they said they couldn't divulge, but I like to actually know what I'm getting. I would love to know the front/rear spring rate balance for them.
could always buy a set and have them tested lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors