The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Questions on next purchase for the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good evening everyone! have a few questions on what would be smart for the next purchase for the car. I know a lot of this depends on what the car is used for and what is my preference. with that being said the car sees mostly street time, Manly trips to town and work on nice days and for fun and the occasional long trip 5-10 drives depends on our years vacation plans. But I do autocross about 5-7 times a year but not in the pro class.

With that out of the way I am torn on what to purchase next. I like spending my hard earned cash on both nice looking and functioning pieces. I am looking at purchasing the MGW X-spec shift which cost my whole budget at this time. but I am not Running the Rear Lower control arm Relocation brackets on my setup, are these truly necessary? If I do get these what else should I get as i will still have some cash to spend? I don't want to damage anything but with the car already lowered and aftermarket RLC's already on the car i don't notice any negative effects driving it this way. I am open to other ideas as well but don't know want would be a good investment right now other then more seat time.

Also know maintenance items are important but these have already been addressed. list includes fresh oil, brake fluid, diff fluid, coolant flush and brake pads

list of things done are Koni yellows, H&R road race spring, MM CC plates and Panhard bar, adjustable Front and rear Swaybars, RLCS, Brembo Front calipers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I am not Running the Rear Lower control arm Relocation brackets on my setup, are these truly necessary?

I think so. With your springs at ~1.4” drop, I think a bracket with a 2” lower adjustment point would be a good idea and the next thing I would change on you’re setup. Should help the car rotate better and reduce brake dive.

I’m not against shifter upgrades, but I’d do the brackets first.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You have a few mods , but nothing was said about tires or rims. Tires are always the very first mod to go faster , and you are already doing all the fluid maintenance to make sure things are safe and well lubricated. Have you also gotten a good set of race pads or street/race pads?

Overall the first things needed are what you began with , checking out the car for safety and component durability. Then as mods become a choice tires really are your first move to be competitive.

Grant 302

You have a few mods , but nothing was said about tires or rims. Tires are always the very first mod to go faster , and you are already doing all the fluid maintenance to make sure things are safe and well lubricated. Have you also gotten a good set of race pads or street/race pads?

Overall the first things needed are what you began with , checking out the car for safety and component durability. Then as mods become a choice tires really are your first move to be competitive.

He has:
19x10.75 Rims with 305/30/19 Nitto NT555 G2's

Also know maintenance items are important but these have already been addressed. list includes fresh oil, brake fluid, diff fluid, coolant flush and brake pads

list of things done are Koni yellows, H&R road race spring, MM CC plates and Panhard bar, adjustable Front and rear Swaybars, RLCS, Brembo Front calipers.
Fluid/brakes already done!

I think so. With your springs at ~1.4” drop, I think a bracket with a 2” lower adjustment point would be a good idea and the next thing I would change on you’re setup. Should help the car rotate better and reduce brake dive.

This makes sense. the car defiantly dives hard to the front under braking so that would make me lean more towards getting the brackets then get the shifter at a later time. as far a pads go I am Running what came with the car so brand and type are unknown. is there a set that would be good for both street and track? i don't care if noise is going to increase with more aggressive pads and for rotors what should i run? Factory or aftermarket?

Grant 302

So you’re on the original rear pads and the pads that came with the 14” Brembo fronts?

I find pads are a personal choice. My suggestion is to pick a brand that is currently popular. Gloc, Carbotech, Raybestos, Hawk...and so many others. Then pick the most aggressive pad that you think you can live with on the street.

Another suggestion is to run a dedicated set of rotors and pads just for track/autox days.

I run Performance Friction PFC08 on street and track.

So you’re on the original rear pads and the pads that came with the 14” Brembo fronts?

I find pads are a personal choice. My suggestion is to pick a brand that is currently popular. Gloc, Carbotech, Raybestos, Hawk...and so many others. Then pick the most aggressive pad that you think you can live with on the street.

Another suggestion is to run a dedicated set of rotors and pads just for track/autox days.

I run Performance Friction PFC08 on street and track.

My car was a factory brembo brake car so the front pads maybe original too, should i replace both the front and rear pads at the same time?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get ahold of one of our Sponsors like Optimum Performance or KNS Brakes and chat with them on your braking style and needs ---- they do this stuff all day and would be a great source ( TMO is pretty picky on who they have as Sponsors and you can count on them being heavy into to Land of wild Mustangs ).

Definitely get a whole new set for front and back.

Last edited:

Grant 302

My car was a factory brembo brake car so the front pads maybe original too, should i replace both the front and rear pads at the same time?
I would. I also don’t see a danger in leaving them stock for autox. As long as they aren’t too worn. But when you do upgrade, do both front and rear at the same time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel