The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Questions re:tunes which disable AdvanceTrac

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have an early 2011 GT with the steering anti-nibble that happens at higher speeds only if I shut off stability control. At this point it's pretty mild, but I am still on stock bushings which helps mitigate it.

I know there are tunes which shut off AdvanceTrac, like AED's race tunes. Does anyone know how the steering nibble flaw responds to these tunes?

Do these tunes function the same as the 302S ABS modules? It seems like they have a similar effect on lighting up the dash...

Thanks!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My AED race tune leaves all the lights on just like the 302S ABS module but I imagine that the module has a more aggresive ABS program. As far as "antinibble" really never noted anything that might fit that expression. You get used to the lights after a while......

The anti-nibble flaw is present in (some/all?) 2011-2012 EPAS racks. It causes a shudder or side-to-side feedback in the steering wheel under certain conditions when stability control is shut off.

It is typically fixed by replacing the rack with one from a 2013/2014 car or the Ford Motorport rack, but I was looking to see if a tune which shuts off traction control averts the issue as well... 2 birds, one stone.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The anti-nibble flaw is present in (some/all?) 2011-2012 EPAS racks. It causes a shudder or side-to-side feedback in the steering wheel under certain conditions when stability control is shut off.

It is typically fixed by replacing the rack with one from a 2013/2014 car or the Ford Motorport rack, but I was looking to see if a tune which shuts off traction control averts the issue as well... 2 birds, one stone.
Now that you mention it. Long time back, my steering wheel did come to be possesed a couple of times at the track using the tsc button.. But with the TSC full off in the tune it has never happened again.

Coming back to close the loop on this in case it helps someone else... My 'road race' tune disables all of the stability and traction control, and lights up the dash like the 302S module. However, I do still get the steering nibble on the highway.

It looks like a later steering rack is the only guaranteed fix...

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread. I just uploaded my AED Road Race tune for the first time. I'm getting the service advancetrac message and the T/C and advancetrac lights are on. I'm also getting a flashing ABS light. Does AED's road race tune disable ABS also?

Two quick thoughts...

First, with my tune from AED, ABS is active despite the flashing light.

Second, I've not noticed the 'steering nibble' since swapping tires on the AED road race tune. This may mean that I had two problems before, the steering nibble and a balance issue. I.E. the AED tune may resolve the steering nibble, contrary to my earlier thinking.

Two quick thoughts...

First, with my tune from AED, ABS is active despite the flashing light.

Second, I've not noticed the 'steering nibble' since swapping tires on the AED road race tune. This may mean that I had two problems before, the steering nibble and a balance issue. I.E. the AED tune may resolve the steering nibble, contrary to my earlier thinking.

Thanks for the follow up! Just wanted to make sure ABS still worked. The flashing light made me a little nervous lol. I'm otherwise fine with Advance Trac and traction control being disabled. Can't wait to get out on the track this week!

Thanks for the follow up! Just wanted to make sure ABS still worked. The flashing light made me a little nervous lol. I'm otherwise fine with Advance Trac and traction control being disabled. Can't wait to get out on the track this week!
Where in chicago are you and hat tracks do you go to

I'm in the south suburbs. I'm just getting into HPDE. I've only run at Blackhawk Farms so far. Yesterday was my second time there.

Otherwise I take my fox body to Byron or Great Lakes Dragway.

Here's a video from yesterday at Blackhawk.

nice man, im in downers grove. Let me know if you do any track days at autobahn.

i was a big drag racer but this has taken me over.

nice man, im in downers grove. Let me know if you do any track days at autobahn.

i was a big drag racer but this has taken me over.
Will do! I was trying to get a handful of Mustangs out to Blackhawk this past Wednesday. I had 3 other Mustangs and a friend with his Porsche there. It would be fun to have even more!

Autobahn is on my to do list. I need to replace my stock clutch before anymore track days. It was acting up quite a bit in my later sessions. I was getting the typical MT-82 high RPM lockout, but it seemed to get worse as the day went on.

Will do! I was trying to get a handful of Mustangs out to Blackhawk this past Wednesday. I had 3 other Mustangs and a friend with his Porsche there. It would be fun to have even more!

Autobahn is on my to do list. I need to replace my stock clutch before anymore track days. It was acting up quite a bit in my later sessions. I was getting the typical MT-82 high RPM lockout, but it seemed to get worse as the day went on.
Let me know if you ever do a trackday with gps or anyone.

TMO Supporting Vendors