The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quick Install Boss 302S PCV Delete/Oil Separator/Breather For You Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a newbie how is this different or should I say better than a jlt oil passenger side sep.? I want to install one of these just not sure what is better. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

JLT is a separator and so it can still allow oil into the intake system. The catch can doesn't use the intake to pull pressure from the crank case, instead it allows the pressure to vent into the can which doesn't recirculate back into the intake. JLT or Moroso was what I originally looked at as well but this systems to be a much better way of allowing the crank to vent and not allow any oil back through the intake.

johna said:
As a newbie how is this different or should I say better than a jlt oil passenger side sep.? I want to install one of these just not sure what is better. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

There is a lot of info on this forum about the PCV system. Please read this post, it has links to other sections on this forum that will explain everything you may need to know.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6623.msg99564#msg99564

Today I cancelled the order I had for the canisters. It has been about four weeks and today I was told another two weeks, I have been told this several times. I have seven entire setups minus the canister itself ready to go. That would include the hoses and all fittings assembled, the tube to replace the PCV, vacuum caps and bracket with hardware. You would need to source the canister yourself but this is 90% complete. The work would be minimal to finish once you get it just bolt the canister bracket to the car specialized bracket with included hardware and simply screw in the completed hosed to the canister.

I have travel plans over the holidays and need to get this round finished before then. There are four people that have paid and will have priority to get these kits or a full refund. The three people above can have the three remaining setup's. I will send a PM to all. If by tomorrow night I do not hear back from them I will make the remaining setups available on a first come first serve basis.

The cost will be $250 shipped, that is $340 - $90 (for the canister cost figured in the 340 price). The people who paid more then the $90 for the canister will receive a full refund not just $90. It appears the canisters are backordered from the factory, there may be a chance in a few weeks of them returning to Amazon at a decent price, otherwise then can be bought from places like Hoerr Racing, VAC, Jegs or other places.

Correction to my post above, it is $250 paypal by using your existing funds or bank account, if using credit cards I need to get the 3% as that is not figured into cost, sorry. I am trying to get this done by weeks end, so unless you over night a check paypal is the only way to go right now.

I have been asked about where to get a canister, the part is Peterson Fluid Systems 08-0400 Breather Can with 12AN Ports look here, it is where I was getting the $90 cans:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GOPHRY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
and others
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5058093-peterson-remote-breather-can-peterson-spun-aluminum.html
http://www.jegs.com/i/Peterson-Fluid-Systems/615/08-0400/10002/-1
http://streetperformanceusa.com/i-7162241-peterson-remote-breather-can-peterson-spun-aluminum.html

I think everybody has returned my emails, I am left with one extra bracket and two kits of completed hoses, bracket, etc. everything but the canister itself. Please drop me a note if interested in any of these by this Saturday.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
No doubt I was late to the dance, but fortunately NFSBOSS had still had 2 complete hose kits when I inquired about this system just about 2.5 weeks ago so I raised my hand. I looked around for a Peterson 360 degree vent can and ordered it through Amazon Prime. When I returned to the frigid Northeast from Florida this afternoon, I had everything to install this kit.

It does not take long, but I didn't care if it took me hours, I love being under the hood of the Boss. What I care about is effectiveness and fit and finish. I took apart the Peterson vent can, it's nicely made. Excellent welds and more to the interior than I expected. It comes with a race quality clamp with two mounting holes drilled in it. But to my surprise was the quality and fit of the hose kit from NFSBoss, and the simplicity of the custom mounting bracket. Worth every penny.

The hoses were cut to perfection insofar as proper length and everything I needed was included. There are none as in zero clearance issues. Fits our cars perfectly and it is a serious looking crankcase vent system. Very professional looking. It goes on my short list of "Better than Average" mods.

I'll post a pic or two of the install on my car this weekend.
Best Regards,
302 Hi Pro

20140125_110126_zpsbf18d499.jpg

Does anyone have a smell of what I believe is oil when you are sitting at a red light or stop sign? I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up :p. I did hear that you would probably get this smell and if you were to extend the lines closer towards the transmission it would go away some. Just curious if someone has tried that. I would go and try it but mu car is under about 18" of snow right now lol

Sean said:
Does anyone have a smell of what I believe is oil when you are sitting at a red light or stop sign? I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up :p. I did hear that you would probably get this smell and if you were to extend the lines closer towards the transmission it would go away some. Just curious if someone has tried that. I would go and try it but mu car is under about 18" of snow right now lol
Yes the smell is normal. Your open canister has a direct connection to engine and is right in front of your exterior vent so there's no getting around it. Hit the recirc button if you need to.

clinton2003 said:
So is there any of these available? if so what was the price on them? Tried PM'ing you YellowBoss, but i guess it got blocked..
Scott is no longer making the canisters but all the information is contained in the thread below. There were several of us that made our own, including Scott, and his final product is a compilation of what many of us did. All of the parts from several builds are posted in the thread below. If you have any specific questions on the build ask your question in the other thread.

I have one of the brackets Scott had made and the dimensions too. If there was enough interest I could have the brackets made. I thought SS might be better than aluminum and the shop that makes my exhaust discs could easily make them.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=880.0

For anyone installing a Peterson catch can, keep in mind the proximity between your tools or the hardware and the positive battery terminal. Make sure to disconnect the negative terminal, otherwise you may end up popping the big $20 electric steering rack fuse on the positive terminal.

TMO Supporting Vendors