The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quick intro . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kingston, ON
Hey Folks,

I'm just posting a quick introduction -- new to Mustangs -- but not new to high speed driving events. I've been tracking different cars for 30 plus years.

I've just bought my wife an S197 V6 six speed for her next track car. She's been driving my NA Miata for the last three years, and is ready for something (anything) with more power.

Our home track, Calabogie Motorsports Park, has a fleet of V8 Mustangs, all managed by Powersports Garage. The owner of Powersports recommended the Maximum Motorsports Grip Box package for the car, and we are awaiting delivery (some parts are back-ordered, and my fingers are crossed it ships soon).

This year the focus will be on reliability, and her becoming acquainted with a much heavier, and more powerful, car on the track. We will run a smaller tire (235/50/18 on an 8.5 OEM GT wheel). Not sure about what pads to run . . . I use a true track pad on my M2, but that may be overkill for the Mustang.

Looking forward to learning from the community.

Rob

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Welcome to the site, great resource for all things Mustang. I was up to 'bogie a few years back and did an afternoon in one of their school cars to see if the old track skills were still there. I found out they were and down the rabbit hole I went again! Keep trying to get up there with my current car but it's not happening this year again by the looks of the situation in the lock down capital of North America!

Does 'bogie use the MM kit on their school cars? I was told when I went that it was the Ford Racing kit. Regardless, their cars work well, easy to drive, not a ton of power but enough to be a challenge, a good choice to re-enter the track world.

As for pads, if the car's going to be on track I would use a true racing pad at least on the front, though a lower bite one, something like a Hawk DTC30 for example. Definitely wouldn't want to go too far up the friction/bite scale with a stock car. You can get them from Perry Performance in Montreal or JRP in Toronto, I've bought from both companies and they're both good to deal with. Or ask the guys that look after the 'bogie school cars what they're running, those brakes seemed pretty stout when I drove them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Rob

Welcome!!

One other item to look at with the 197 V-6 is the drive shaft. The car will be limited on top end speed because of the driveshaft. The factory tune has a limiter I believe is set at 115MPH. An aftermarket shaft with a tune will let you exceed 115. If you are on shorter tracks the limiter may not be an issue. There are some amusing videos on youtube showing folks who tuned for higher speeds and left the stock shaft in place.......Until it left on its own.

My daughter had a 2013 V-6 PP mt-82 car and loved it on track.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kingston, ON
Welcome to the site, great resource for all things Mustang. I was up to 'bogie a few years back and did an afternoon in one of their school cars to see if the old track skills were still there. I found out they were and down the rabbit hole I went again! Keep trying to get up there with my current car but it's not happening this year again by the looks of the situation in the lock down capital of North America!

Does 'bogie use the MM kit on their school cars? I was told when I went that it was the Ford Racing kit. Regardless, their cars work well, easy to drive, not a ton of power but enough to be a challenge, a good choice to re-enter the track world.

As for pads, if the car's going to be on track I would use a true racing pad at least on the front, though a lower bite one, something like a Hawk DTC30 for example. Definitely wouldn't want to go too far up the friction/bite scale with a stock car. You can get them from Perry Performance in Montreal or JRP in Toronto, I've bought from both companies and they're both good to deal with. Or ask the guys that look after the 'bogie school cars what they're running, those brakes seemed pretty stout when I drove them.
We must live pretty close to one another -- I'd describe myself as halfway between Shannonville and Calabogie (I live in Kingston). I think the Calabogie fleet went through a round of updates to the MM stuff -- though they may have a mixture of both set ups depending on how old the car was. The Grip Box package seems to be pretty sweet in terms of price and all that it includes.

Perry is one of my go to places -- I've known Carl for years and years so I will see what they have for options. The 'Bogie cars run Hawk HP+, if I remember what Jay said. They are tire limited.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kingston, ON
Rob

Welcome!!

One other item to look at with the 197 V-6 is the drive shaft. The car will be limited on top end speed because of the driveshaft. The factory tune has a limiter I believe is set at 115MPH. An aftermarket shaft with a tune will let you exceed 115. If you are on shorter tracks the limiter may not be an issue. There are some amusing videos on youtube showing folks who tunes for higher speeds and left the stock shaft in place.......Until it left on its own.

My daughter had a 2013 V-6 PP mt-82 car and loved it on track.
I've been reading about the drive shaft. It is "possible" that the limiter may be an issue at Calabogie -- if all goes right for the sequence of corners before the big straight. We have a track day at Mosport in early May -- I think it is distinct possibility there. Still faster than my Miata would be though :)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
We must live pretty close to one another -- I'd describe myself as halfway between Shannonville and Calabogie (I live in Kingston). I think the Calabogie fleet went through a round of updates to the MM stuff -- though they may have a mixture of both set ups depending on how old the car was. The Grip Box package seems to be pretty sweet in terms of price and all that it includes.

Perry is one of my go to places -- I've known Carl for years and years so I will see what they have for options. The 'Bogie cars run Hawk HP+, if I remember what Jay said. They are tire limited.
They sure are tire limited, when I was there they were on 245's!! Made for great fun drifting them around though not real fast.

I'm in Brighton, not too far down the road from you. You'll come across @carver on the site, he has a nice red Boss and he's down east of you a bit

Whose track day are you running in May at Mosport, Speed Therapy? I hope to run that day assuming that we are out of jail by then.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kingston, ON
They sure are tire limited, when I was there they were on 245's!! Made for great fun drifting them around though not real fast.

I'm in Brighton, not too far down the road from you. You'll come across @carver on the site, he has a nice red Boss and he's down east of you a bit

Whose track day are you running in May at Mosport, Speed Therapy? I hope to run that day assuming that we are out of jail by then.
Running with 1MoreLap -- they are the Calabogie group, and this is a "road trip". They do one to Tremblant, too. Fantastic group.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel