The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quick rant bout a broken stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Status update. MM called me about 130om today said they had a set that wasn't zinc plated but they would give me a set just to get me back up and running. I offered to pay and they said its on the house and when the batch is complete they will send me a plated set. I said Id like to pay then and the rep stated, 'we will consider it when we ship them." Thats customer service and they won me over as a loyal customer..

Next I’ll take the old plates and install some better studs for the next go around.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I saw this statement and had to ask.....how? I replaced my MM plates with Vorshlags and agree they are beautiful pieces. But after install all I could get was around 2.5. I called Vorshlag and they blamed the offset Cortex struts. The guys at Phoenix did some grinding with my old Cortex struts and with the MM plates I had up to -5.0 camber. So I ended up grinding the Vorshlag plates to allow more movement and then had to do some offset grinding on the strut's upper bolt hole to get close to -3.8 now. But it was a lot of tedious work to get there.

I cut the tops of the struts out with Vorshlag's tool, it's pretty simple to do (Hey, if I can do it any idiot can do it).
I can get more but no need at the moment.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Status update. MM called me about 130om today said they had a set that would wasn't zinc plated but they would give me a set just to get me back ups and running. I offered to pay and they said its on the house and when the batch is complete they will send me a plated set. I said Id like to pay then and they rep stated, 'we will consider it when we ship them." Thats customer service and they won me over as a loyal customer..

Next ill take the old plates and install some better studs for the next go around.

Maybe it's hit and miss with who you talk to. With mine at first they blamed my torque wrench, then backed off on that, then wanted me to pay for the replacement plate, then said it they would give it to me free but I had to pay the shipping, which is not inconsequential. Just a bad experience, made worse by the bearing seizing up and causing damage to a strut. They're off my Xmas list.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Going off on a tangent, ignore.

Regardless, I can't see opening another watering hole for TMO on any other platform unless we absolutely need visibility there, as it will only serve as a competing venue for this forum. The TMO FB group is primarily used as a fishing net for the forum, which realistically only pulls in a small number of people who become valuable, contributing members here anyway. I only keep it open to bring visibility to the forum and to give people there the opportunity to see that a quality place exists where they can participate without the toxicity and trolls.
20 some-odd years ago, I was an admin on another site, and we got in a national magazine and that took our membership from like 1500 to 10k in a rather small timeframe. A Watering Hole was an attempt to get people to stick around, which was favored by the marketing/ad sales person, as this was back before things like 4chan and Myspace. So many fights between veterans who've worked on cars longer than the young keyboard commandos, and the toxicity ran off everybody into their own cliques, and various other niche-specific websites, whether it was other cars, guns, music, or wife swapping. Now short of 200k members, most of its forums haven't been posted to in over a week, and it'd be a shame to see this truly valuable information go to waste. Quality over Quantity.
I was joking about the wife swapping... or... or was I?

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA

20 some-odd years ago, I was an admin on another site, and we got in a national magazine and that took our membership from like 1500 to 10k in a rather small timeframe. A Watering Hole was an attempt to get people to stick around, which was favored by the marketing/ad sales person, as this was back before things like 4chan and Myspace. So many fights between veterans who've worked on cars longer than the young keyboard commandos, and the toxicity ran off everybody into their own cliques, and various other niche-specific websites, whether it was other cars, guns, music, or wife swapping. Now short of 200k members, most of its forums haven't been posted to in over a week, and it'd be a shame to see this truly valuable information go to waste. Quality over Quantity.
It's true, all communities of any notable size will have to effectively deal with incompatible personalities and attitudes, setting and enforcing a standard of respect among its members - it's something that has had me banging my head against the wall on many occasions over the past two (plus) decades. I don't think we'll ever see this forum grow to the size where that will be overly challenging (we have a really good group here, so that helps), not with the narrow subject matter focus and with social media dominating the landscape these days. In some regards, Facebook sort of helps us keep things cleaner with the way that platform attracts all the negativity - it's given people an outlet for their negativity, but it's also pulled good contributors away.

I don't value quantity over quality, but I don't discount quantity altogether either. For forums to thrive over the long term you also need to value some quantity - a critical mass that keeps it going. You just have to be careful not to allow that quantity to ruin the quality.

I'm way off topic a this point though... sorry Byron.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

There’s too much truth in your post. Sorry, but I couldn’t ignore it.

I’m glad MM is doing the right thing here. Not surprised about the FB issues, but have zero experience there and don’t intend for that to change.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Has anyone tried simply fishing two bolts through the shock tower to replace a broken stud? I replace the two studs linked together by fishing them back by hand through the wheel well. Agree this is likely easier with coil overs. Could this work when you need to get to the track?? Put a single nut on the bolt and crank it down, then run a second nut on as a jam nut.

Bay Area
Has anyone tried simply fishing two bolts through the shock tower to replace a broken stud? I replace the two studs linked together by fishing them back by hand through the wheel well. Agree this is likely easier with coil overs. Could this work when you need to get to the track?? Put a single nut on the bolt and crank it down, then run a second nut on as a jam nut.

After pulling it apart, it can be a very simple fix if you have the resources and time. In my situation, I had neither. BUT now that I have encountered this situation. I have figured out how to resolve the issue. The studs do need to be replaced with a higher quality item such as ARP. I will ask them for a similar size stud and then I will have the stud tack welded in to prevent any movement. AND.... I will now have two extra sets aside and considering these a consumable unit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel