The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quick Review of Cortex JRi Coilovers 2012 GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone thought I would share my experiences driving the Cortex / Jri setup on the streets of Dearborn.

Ordered mine from Filip back in February finally got them installed last weekend. I have the two way fronts and one way rears. These come with MM CC plates and they have a unique brace on the top of the plate - very similar to the MM one but with the Cortex logo stamped in. I opted for the super stiff track setup 500 lbs/in front and 300 lbs/in rear so my street review is not what these babies were meant for.

Here are some pics. I have not aligned it yet or finished leveling it and setting up the cross weight.
If you expect these to ride just a little firmer than factory Boss you are wrong. These ride like racecar springs don't even think about using for a full daily driver or street car. Massively stiffer than Steeda sports. You can get the same shocks in lower rates for street if you want just tell Filip. I also changed to an 18mm rear stabar I think its from a 2007 V6.

cortex.jpg

cortex2.jpg

Once these are installed you can adjust the spring collars through the wheel or on top of the wheel if you jack up that corner.

They will clunk slightly over certain nasty Michigan destroyed roads usually when you are hitting fast sharp holes its quickly at max rebound length over and over. I'm running a high ride height so these are closer to rebound already so when you hit a sharp deep pothole and then repeat you get the idea.

Everywhere else its smooth as butter and quiet that's 99% of the time even in Michigan.

I can feel the road so much more especially through the steering wheel. The steering is more precise somehow. its also a lot higher effort not due to stiction or anything, mostly I think because I cranked in near max caster.

the smooth turning is such a nice change from the stock GT strut bearings. The steering finally feels like my buddy's 1990 911 Targa its manual and takes effort but feels the same that's saying a lot.

Using factory settings there is perfect robust body motion control and damping its not bouncy at all. Going over high speed dips and level changes common in Michigan its under full control and so much quicker. like the suspension had a quad espresso it reacts and settles instantly that was my worst compliant about Steeda / Eibach those were still wallowing in high load bottom of hill rough patches at high speeds.

more rear end grip was a nice surprise, probably from the smaller stabar too. I thought with the stiff ride I would loose rear end grip but even over rough pot hole segments where you can hear the suspension slamming hard it still has more grip than before w the Eibach struts/steeda sports or stock GT.

Do not get these rates if you want a daily driver. but the control in mid / high speed corners is so much more than I even expected. I hope to get out this year to my first real HPDE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdKvrkngqI
I think my car finally handles like these Mustangs. There is also the quick twitchy nature at high speeds. you now have to be aware and looking where you are going, the slightest steering input and the car goes in that direction without delay.

Rehagen is going to align it Thursday.

thanks for a great product Cortex. A+

NFSBOSS said:
Nice review. If you have not softened up the dampers making adjustments will make a big difference on the street. Also did you have camber plates before? Adding some camber over stock makes a big difference in the steering feel. When is your first track day with them?

Thanks for asking NFSBOSS.

I had Steeda plates before then poped them apart due to rough Michigan roads. Put the stockers back in and at one point I was running Almost 3 degrees negative. So its not just adjustment must be the new system!

HPDE I'm thinking about a 3balls event this summer, also Rabee from this board lives near me so I've asked him for help. (School bus yellow boss). But I'm in no hurry. We are going to make a composite set of coil springs at work that will drop right in. I'll lower the rates a bit for a street track combo. Also composite has a softer feel for same given rate due to internal damping.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Nice write-up! 8)

I know my setup is a little different with the DAs in the back and slightly stiffer spring rates 550/350, but my impression is that most of the increased grip is coming from the dampers and added spring rate "locks-in" the geometry to a tighter range of motion.

twistedneck said:
HPDE I'm thinking about a 3balls event this summer, also Rabee from this board lives near me so I've asked him for help. (School bus yellow boss). But I'm in no hurry. We are going to make a composite set of coil springs at work that will drop right in. I'll lower the rates a bit for a street track combo. Also composite has a softer feel for same given rate due to internal damping.

Nice review Jeff!

Here is my review of Jeff's GT setup, stiff like son of a gun...lol

Joking aside, as Jeff stated above they are not street friendly. I suggested to him to go very soft on dampers settings, may be try the lowest and see how it feels. Then he can gradually increase it.

If it does not work, then may be go softer spring rates.

As I told him too, what good is it for a man to gain a stiff racy car, yet lose his own back.

My point is, for most who have only 1 fun car, you really want to be able to drive on the streets, do not sacrify your DD comfort for 5-10 track days per year. Now if you have another fun car for DD, then it is a different story.

It was good to meet you and Paul too. I completely forgot to ride in his car, may be next time.

Good luck with the rear clunking issue you are experiencing.

13Boss said:
Nice review Jeff!

Here is my review of Jeff's GT setup, stiff like son of a gun...lol

Joking aside, as Jeff stated above they are not street friendly. I suggested to him to go very soft on dampers settings, may be try the lowest and see how it feels. Then he can gradually increase it.

If it does not work, then may be go softer spring rates.

As I told him too, what good is it for a man to gain a stiff racy car, yet lose his own back.

My point is, for most who have only 1 fun car, you really want to be able to drive on the streets, do not sacrify your DD comfort for 5-10 track days per year. Now if you have another fun car for DD, then it is a different story.

It was good to meet you and Paul too. I completely forgot to ride in his car, may be next time.

Good luck with the rear clunking issue you are experiencing.

Rabee thanks for the positive feedback and good advice. I now have the front low speed 10 clicks from full soft and (30 total clicks available). Rear is at 20 clicks from full soft (out of 60 total clicks) Its a major improvement. Not that I am complaining in any way This will fly on the track. I'm just trying to get this track only setup to be tolerable on the streets of Michigan.That is much worse than any other state for roads Also, Filip gave me just what I asked for He was very clear about how stiff it would be if I wanted race mode!

I'd also like to add that the comparison to Rabee's dialed in stock-ish Boss 302 the streetable ride was zero. Without his comparison I'd say it was fine now w the softer damping but I'll probably get slightly softer springs this summer no matter just to try.

Grant 302

Where is your HS rebound up front? For street comfort it makes a *huge* difference to adjust the high speed as you make low speed changes. If your front is bouncy at all after going that soft on low speed, try moving higher on the high speed a sweep or two.

Grant 302 said:
Where is your HS rebound up front? For street comfort it makes a *huge* difference to adjust the high speed as you make low speed changes. If your front is bouncy at all after going that soft on low speed, try moving higher on the high speed a sweep or two.

I have not touches the high speed yet its still at 5 away from full soft out of 14 total clicks. Good idea it is a touch bouncy in front now.

NFSBOSS said:
So now the question is when will Rabee start modifying his suspension? ;)

On the 25th and 26th of April I will do a "test"

Jeff will give me 22mm rear sway bar so I can try it out. Day #1 will keep my current setup and record some lap times. Day #2 I will install the 22mm rsb and see if I get any better overall lap times.

I am sure there will be a lot of confounding factors i.e. tire wear, brake wear, weather...etc but I still should be able to tell how the car would feel and rotate.

I am still at around 50% of the car's potential. I am pretty sure I will modify my suspension when the right time comes.

Grant 302

twistedneck said:
I have not touches the high speed yet its still at 5 away from full soft out of 14 total clicks. Good idea it is a touch bouncy in front now.

I still getting my head around the difference in working with the high/low speed adjusters...so please bear with me a bit. I also probably should have clarified that I think you probably went too soft on the low speed up front. If the bouncing is in the 2-3 Hz range (two to three bounces in a second), then I think that's the case. HS can be increased to compensate, but it will be stiffer over road imperfections.

What I suggest is backing HS down to either +4 or +3 and increasing LS until the low frequency bouncing is under control. Try HS +4 and start LS in the -11, -10, -9, -8 range. You are too stiff on the low speed if you nose 'porpoises', especially upward on your bumps. Too soft if you have resonant/rocking horse motions from the front.

Hope that helps!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel