The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Quik Valve Oil Pan Plug Valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm planning on swapping out my engine oil today and was considering pros/cons of using this valve instead of the stock drain plug. It looks like it's made well and uses what appears to be a Teflon gasket up against a polished stainless steel ball as the valve mechanism. For those that change their own oil, you know what a mess it can be since the plug is not on the bottom of the oil pan. Using this seems like it would make it so much easier with less clean up.

My concern is if this thing is going to hold up over time or is it going to start to leak. Does anyone have any experience with this thing ?

(The spring clip to the right is an optional piece to lock the valve handle in the closed position)
IMG_20120903_084825.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I've had a Fumoto valve on my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (Diesel) since my very first oil change (4+ years ago). It has never leaked or given me any issues and definitely makes changing the oil a cleaner operation.

I've now had one on my Boss for 3 oil changes. Other than the close proximity to the transmission scoop, no issues at all. FWIW, I have the one with the nipple built in. Slightly less clearance, but still plenty of room to put hose on to drain it.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
John - Thanks for the valued input. I thought of getting the one with the nipple for the hose attachment built in, at the time I thought it was overkill. In retrospect that really was the way I should have gone since our plug is off the the side. The first time I swapped the oil it shot almost 1.5' and missed the oil bucket by a mile ;D I'm hoping that since I only have to move the valve handle I'll have the other hand free to use something to deflect the oil downward.

Now if they could only make the filter a little easier. I guess i could relo the filter up into the engine bay. I miss the location of the filter on my Audi S4 (top of engine in front of the firewall). On my son's M3 it's also on the top in the front of the block. I guess the Germans don't like getting mucked up with oil ;D

Tell that to the guy who designed the E30 ::)

Valves usually go bad from use, this one will be used a dozen times a year? I'd give it a try, but hopefully you have an oil pressure gauge since you track it a lot.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Home depot has 10' of the 3/8" diameter hose for under $10. Buy that, hook it up to the valve and drop the other end in your oil containment receptacle. No mess at all! When you are done, close the valve, pull the hose, and run some brake parts cleaner through the hose... all done :)

The filter is a PITA. No matter what I do I get oil all over the suspension. My M3, 318is, Jeep Grand Cherokee (Mercedes diesel) and even my old Rx7's had filters up top. Way easier and less of a mess.

Sesshomurai

I have the quick valve plug in, but haven't used it yet. Got the clear plastic tubing from Lowes cut to length. $.25/ft. However, I will be using it shortly and am wondering if I have to remove my trans cooler before hooking the hose to it.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
JScheier said:
Home depot has 10' of the 3/8" diameter hose for under $10. Buy that, hook it up to the valve and drop the other end in your oil containment receptacle. No mess at all! When you are done, close the valve, pull the hose, and run some brake parts cleaner through the hose... all done :)

The filter is a PITA. No matter what I do I get oil all over the suspension. My M3, 318is, Jeep Grand Cherokee (Mercedes diesel) and even my old Rx7's had filters up top. Way easier and less of a mess.

I thought someone posted a link to this product before in another oil thread;

http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-18714/dp/B004NLJXFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346688350&sr=8-1&keywords=Pig+Form+a+Funnel+Flexible+Draining+Tool+18714

What is the part number for our pans for the 'nipple model' ?

I have this probably unnatural fear that something is gonna hit the Fumoto just right at the track and all my oil is gonna come spilling out. I know the probability of the right sized rock getting into the tranny scoop and hitting the latch just right seems unlikely but I guess that's what that metal twisty piece is for right? To secure it? Maybe I'm just paranoid. ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Valve sits tucked up behind the pan pretty well. The ring in the pic is a lock for the valve also.When on the valve cannot open.

TMO Supporting Vendors