The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

R-springs on GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We'll find out soon enough.

DFW, TX
I just ordered a set for my Track Pack. I'll see if Vorshlag will put them on their spring rate machine to see what is really going on here. There was no definitive answer as to which cars had which spring rates from Ford. I'm going to guess the Track Pack and R are the same except for ride height. Either way, I should know in a couple weeks when my car arrives.

bpracer said:
I just ordered a set for my Track Pack. I'll see if Vorshlag will put them on their spring rate machine to see what is really going on here. There was no definitive answer as to which cars had which spring rates from Ford. I'm going to guess the Track Pack and R are the same except for ride height. Either way, I should know in a couple weeks when my car arrives.
Looking forward to your results. I'm having my MM cc plates installed while I'm in Utah since they're the only option on the table right now and I have an event in three weeks. Will Vorshlag have their plates ready when they install them or are you just going to reuse the factory strut mounts?

The reason I'm curious is I don't think the MM plates are going to yield enough camber and I may end up going with Vorshlag or Cortex once they're available, assuming they yield more camber. If I end up switching plates I would want to install the R springs at the same time.

DFW, TX
cloud9 said:
Looking forward to your results. I'm having my MM cc plates installed while I'm in Utah since they're the only option on the table right now and I have an event in three weeks. Will Vorshlag have their plates ready when they install them or are you just going to reuse the factory strut mounts?

The reason I'm curious is I don't think the MM plates are going to yield enough camber and I may end up going with Vorshlag or Cortex once they're available, assuming they yield more camber. If I end up switching plates I would want to install the R springs at the same time.
I think Vorshlag has their plates finished or at least they are in production now. The owner had a Facebook post with a run of freshly CNC'd S550 plates for the stock spring perch (he was joking that S550 guys had been pestering them...). I live in the same town as their shop.

I'm not sure how soon I would swap the springs and camber plates, but there is no use doing one without the other. It depends how broke I am after the car arrives.

DFW, TX
VoodooBOSS said:
I'm pretty sure the R front springs are shorter and stiffer. To me the question is if the rears are different.

I received an update on Friday that the FP lowering springs continue to progress but it's still going to be Summer, maybe late Summer, before they are available. They are testing them on track so they should be an improvement over stock on track.

If you look up the parts online, there are far more spring part numbers than what one would expect. The limited data Ford published just doesn't line up with the various part numbers in the system. I'm not looking for a punishing ride. The tracks around here are not exactly smooth and that goes double for the concrete streets.

bpracer said:
If you look up the parts online, there are far more spring part numbers than what one would expect. The limited data Ford published just doesn't line up with the various part numbers in the system. I'm not looking for a punishing ride. The tracks around here are not exactly smooth and that goes double for the concrete streets.
Then just stick with the stock springs for now. The car is quite capable as delivered. Add come CC plates and sticky tires and you'll be set.

DFW, TX
The R springs are over at Vorshlag now so we will all know the true spring rate soon.

They picked up on something I had not noticed. The rear spring are not the same wire diameter over the length of the spring. The area that is the progressive part of the coil is a smaller diameter wire.

My car is at least two weeks away from arriving, still "awaiting shipping" so.... no Track Pack spring rates/ ride height comparison for a while.

DFW, TX
Vorshlag will probably publish something on their site soon but I have some preliminary data

Actual Front Spring Rate (linear rate) [Ford Rating 240 lb/in]
varied 244-276 lb/in over 4.5" of travel
free height 10"
compatible with stock S550 perches

Actual Rear Spring Rate (variable rate) [Ford Rating 914 lb/in]
525 lb/in @ .5" compression
742 lb/in @ 1.5" compression
866 lb/in @ 3.0" compression
free height 12.375"
(x2) left rear might work in normal S550, right is opposite winding from normal S550

DFW, TX
VoodooBOSS said:
Thanks. Did they test the non R GT350 springs?

They will if my Track Pack ever arrives... Its been sitting for two weeks in Flat Rock.

I'll take it in and they will measure the stock ride height.

I'm going to get their camber plates. So I'll swap the springs, have the Track Pack springs measured and then re-measure the ride height after the swap.

DFW, TX
Sorry, I forgot to credit Jason and Terry at Vorshlag for doing the measurements.

My Track Pack should be delivered Monday or Tuesday. I may take a week or two to see how it handles then swap the springs and add some Vorshlag camber plates (which should be in production by that time)

The rear spring rate isn't that much different than the S550 PP spring, but the R front springs were something like +30% stiffer or more. Maybe I can get an overlay of all these springs from them.

The part numbers are different between R and non R rear springs. My guess is the height. I also have been trying to get R sway bar links but everyone keeps saying the part numbers are the same but I read the R rear links are .300 shorter. Nick can you measure your rear and front sway bar end link center to center when you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question that's been going through my head.
As some of you know I bought a set of R springs a few months ago and I haven't installed them yet because I'm waiting on camber plates. But another thing I keep thinking about is that the R springs are about 1/2" shorter. I have a 2016 GT350 track pack and I'm wondering if the R springs on the non R shocks / struts will cause the shocks / struts to bottom out and ruin them. The R part numbers are different and I know the valving is different but I'm not sure the stroke length is different or the same as the non R. Also ford performance mentioned before of someday late year to make springs for our car and I can't see them selling springs if we need to swap mg shocks and struts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant imagine a 1/2" difference causing that to happen, especially when the springs are stiffer, so the total compressed length might not change a ton.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel