The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 r0bi's dual duty 2013 Mustang GT Track Pack Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Latest change to my car was taking off my old Hawk Performance Ceramic pads that were woefully inadequate for track duty (but worked great as a low dusting/noise street pad). Replaced rotors with new Centric blanks and installed the highly recommended G-Loc R12/R10 front and rear combo for track duty, with the compound-compatible GS-1s when on the street.

Definitely a huge change for at last Weekend's Driver's Edge HPDE at MSR Houston, never experienced any brake fade but I had to adjust my modulation a bit as these are bitey! Had some AdvanceTrac issues even in "sport" mode so I decided to turn it off, which did cause a couple of harmless educational spinouts on different sections of the track but I adapted quickly. I still felt the computer applying brakes at certain times but it was very rare. I guess I need to look more into the Boss ABS Race module or adding a switch on Pin 5 or whatever it was I stumbled upon.

Last edited:
NJ
Latest change to my car was taking off my old Hawk Performance Ceramic pads that were woefully inadequate for track duty (but worked great as a low dusting/noise street pad). Replaced rotors with new Centric blanks and installed the highly recommended G-Loc R12/R10 front and rear combo for track duty, with the compound-compatible GS-1s when on the street.

Definitely a huge change for at last Weekend's Driver's Edge HPDE at MSR Houston, never experienced any brake fade but I had to adjust my modulation a bit as these are bitey! Had some AdvanceTrac issues even in "sport" mode so I decided to turn it off, which did cause a couple of harmless educational spinouts on different sections of the track but I adapted quickly. I still felt the computer applying brakes at certain times but it was very rare. I guess I need to look more into the Boss ABS Race module or adding a switch on Pin 6 or whatever it was I stumbled upon.
Another option is to get a track tune which turns off most of the stability nannies. Shaun at AED Performance does these, not sure who else.

I was lucky enough to find a used module from another TMO member so perhaps also post a wanted ad here. It's a really nice piece as it seems to play well with sticky tires better than the OEM unit. Maybe that just a placebo effect I use to justify the money I spent. But hey, whatever works :)

I also use the G-Loc track/street pad swap and so far it's worked very well. No pulsing or any telltale signs of pad transfer issues so far.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Another option is to get a track tune which turns off most of the stability nannies. Shaun at AED Performance does these, not sure who else.

I was lucky enough to find a used module from another TMO member so perhaps also post a wanted ad here. It's a really nice piece as it seems to play well with sticky tires better than the OEM unit. Maybe that just a placebo effect I use to justify the money I spent. But hey, whatever works :)

I also use the G-Loc track/street pad swap and so far it's worked very well. No pulsing or any telltale signs of pad transfer issues so far.
Good point, I'm considering intake/exhaust in the future so I will need a new tune anyway. Worth investigating. Although last event I had some issues with my tuner failing midway and causing a scare. I was running the stock OEM tune as I was cheap during the expensive gas summer and running 87 octane on the street.

Since I had 1-2 gal of 87 Saturday morning I decided to keep the OEM tune until end of the day, knowing I'd have another 93 fill up. My SCT X4 started flashing the 93 tune then failed. Trying to go back to stock failed at 40%. A very frustrating 30 minutes ensued, thinking I would need to get a tow and miss out on Day 2.

Since my wife was nearby I connected her running car's battery to mine bringing the reported voltage from 12.1 to 13, and the return to stock worked fine. Feeling like I dodged a bullet I didn't want to risk another tune attempt and kept things stock on Sunday. It wasn't all bad though, I focused on my technique and did much much better. That said, still 4 seconds slower than my fastest previous time. It's very telling though looking at my TrackAddict recording and seeing how poorly I was taking some turns a year ago and only made up for it on the straightaways. Looking forward to the next event to have the tune situation fixed, while maintaining proper technique!

Last edited:
NJ
Wow, that's a stressful day! I always put a tender on my and make sure it's fully changed before flashing tunes. I've heard too many stories of people bricking the ECU with voltage issues while tuning. Hard to believe they are that sensitive. FWIW, Shaun has been a great resource and really seems to know his stuff on tuning these cars. He did HIGHLY recommend running race gas on track. Said he's see too many cases of detonation killing the motors on extended sessions. Even when running premium. Nothing like spending $125 on 10 gallons of gas at the pump. But cheaper then a motor I guess.

TMO Supporting Vendors