The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race Brake Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Not a fan of the Raybestos pads and production issues are just part of the reason. The good thing about having KNS on here is Coby can obviously tell you his personal choices on pads and being aware of the ones that have production or supply delays is often important to know if hitting the tracks often. I have been running G-Locs ( as an example ) because they are reasonably priced , easy on the rotors ( I even use their most aggressive pad on the front ) and made right in Nascar country --- Mooresville, NC.

Regardless of what folks like, having an in on what products are often in short supply or seem to be slow in production can be an additional tool to decide on your purchase.

Which G-Locs are you running? I had terrible problems with the 16s once moving to sticky tires--couple pairs separated from the backing plate. Liked the feel, though.

I've loved the ST43s, but am disappointed in how hard they are to get. I'll have to try something new

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Running R18s in front , R10s in the rear , but I always get them Pre-Bedded. The one thing we noticed with many racers is they often understood the need to bed in the brake pads , often the pads were shot during a weekend and it was time to " Brake Dance " to get back on track, so I always pushed our customers to get then already done. This was not just with G-Locs , but with all the pads we sold. I guess I was not that impressive with the ST43s as when I was running against similar Vipers to mine , I seemed to always be able to outbreak those folks. Will agree they got longer life , but I was more concerned with winning or placing in the events. Hope this is a bit helpful even though I rambled on a bit, ha.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What are you running at the rear? PFC 97 is a good "rear pad" material - less bite and lower mu and it's available for the S197 rear caliper.
RSL 29

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
Hi!

I'm looking to purchase Carbotech xp12/xp10, is there a TMO specific discount or coupon?
First time purchasing, and wanted to ask before I checkout

Thanks,

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
Hi!

I'm looking to purchase Carbotech xp12/xp10, is there a TMO specific discount or coupon?
First time purchasing, and wanted to ask before I checkout

Thanks,
Carbotechs are ok, I've run them for several seasons. One day I killed the set at the track and bought what was immediately available from the vendor's trailer> A set of Hawk DTC 70's. Same day / same conditions I gained over .5 secs at Road Atlanta just because of noticeably stronger braking / increased confidence. They were less prone to overheating and ended-up lasting longer too.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info for KNS as often folks do not list specifically what there usage will be and frankly there can be a big difference for usage at the track compared to an autocross. The pads will need to come up to temp faster for autocross usage and may not be able to handle the higher temps generated at many tracks --especially those high speed ones.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
I'm swapping to six piston S550 Brembo's up front. What combo Glocs should I do Front/Rear.

Im between R8/R10 up front. This is a weekend /road course car. I will drive to the track with these pads.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honestly , even though on the street I would bump up the front more than a 10. Maybe a 12 to 14 front and a 8 or 10 in the rear, but hopefully KNS will chime in!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I'm swapping to six piston S550 Brembo's up front. What combo Glocs should I do Front/Rear.

Im between R8/R10 up front. This is a weekend /road course car. I will drive to the track with these pads.
I agree with @Bill Pemberton. I’m not the fastest and my car is a dual purpose. I have been using 12/10 (Front/rear) for two years. Next year I will do the same and pick up GS1 compound for street to prevent swapping rotors. I think the 12/10 is one of the most popular

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
I agree with @Bill Pemberton. I’m not the fastest and my car is a dual purpose. I have been using 12/10 (Front/rear) for two years. Next year I will do the same and pick up GS1 compound for street to prevent swapping rotors. I think the 12/10 is one of the most popular
Thank you guys. I will take your advice and go R12 front and R10 Rear!

Now I just need to decide if I'm gonna spend the extra coin on the Front Gyrodisc and do the 13-14 rear GT500 13.8 inch rotors while I'm at it with the new SVE caliper bracket.

Decisions, decisions!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One other very important key, get them pre-bedded. As you get more serious you will likely find a move upwards on the front is helpful, but the 10s on the rear seem to be about right , regardless.

Big fan of Giro-Disc , about your only guarantee you are getting US Steel and not something from China or Outer Mongolia.

sfo

These are the best 2 piece rotors I have ever run and I have run giro's, brembo's, stoptech's

I wish more people would run them so we can get more rings. PFC produced these then low interest put them on the shelf unless you order in runs of 10

I just tried some Carbotech pads, new to me, XP20 front and XP12 rear. I've been running Raybestos ST45 for many years and love them, but alas, availability has been iffy. My car is a dedicated track car, 2012 GT with 2013 GT500 Brakes (15"/6 piston front and 13" single piston rear). Can't say that I like the Carbotechs much. Takes way more peddle pressure to get the job done. Initial bite is good and so is modulation, but takes 30% more pedal pressure after the initial bite. Not confidence inspiring. The pads were pre-bed from Carbotech, and I installed fresh plain rotors. Finished bedding the brakes on the track. Running Toyo RR tires.

Any comments are really appreciated. And, are G-locs essentially the same - should I expect similar brake response as the Carbotechs?

sfo
I just tried some Carbotech pads, new to me, XP20 front and XP12 rear. I've been running Raybestos ST45 for many years and love them, but alas, availability has been iffy. My car is a dedicated track car, 2012 GT with 2013 GT500 Brakes (15"/6 piston front and 13" single piston rear). Can't say that I like the Carbotechs much. Takes way more peddle pressure to get the job done. Initial bite is good and so is modulation, but takes 30% more pedal pressure after the initial bite. Not confidence inspiring. The pads were pre-bed from Carbotech, and I installed fresh plain rotors. Finished bedding the brakes on the track. Running Toyo RR tires.

Any comments are really appreciated. And, are G-locs essentially the same - should I expect similar brake response as the Carbotechs?
G-locs from what I hear are basically carbotechs. The Gloc guys are ex-carbotech employees. They even use a similar nomenclature mindset to aid customers which is why I like the carbotechs. They start XP8 go to XP24 and it is easy to go up and down the line to find where you want to be. I've been running CT's clubracing for 2 decades. On the s550 GT XP24/XP12 and they work not quite as well as the XP20/XP12 combo on my Ex Racer C5Z06 Vette. Is that pads or brakes on the relative chassis I do not know not running anything else on the mustang.

But CT has gotten crazy expensive. Front PP1 S550 XP24 pads are $350+!!! Lots of people race the Hawk DTC series and those are 1/2 the price! The DTC-70/DTC60 combo is what I'm trying next. The front DTC70 is $180 bucks.

One complaint on the DTC70 is they eat the rotors. For those who run the DTC70 is this true? I'm into my 2nd year of racing on the 2 piece V3 PFC rotors and Carbotech XP24 pads! That's awesome rotor wear considering the mustang is a much heavier car than the vette. Carbotechs have always been kind there. I used to get a year+ of racing out of my Stoptech 2 piece rotors on the vette. If the Hawks eat rotors then the cost saving is not there.

What are you guys seeing in rotor wear vs. pad choice?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
G-Loc and Carbotech are quite similar as they are all family members. The father and one son are at Carbotech and the two other brothers/sons left to establish G-Loc. I used to run Carbotechs and I currently run G-Locs as I know Danny Puskar ( Push Car ) quite well. I never was fond of the 20s, and I switched to 24s long ago, their endurance pads. They take a lot of heat and I am hard on pads. The G-Loc corresponding pad would be their R18 and I run them on the front , with 10s on the rear.

Optimum Performance carries G-Locs , though I don't believe they carry Carbotech, so you can check on the pricing. I switched years back and at the time the G-Locs were a bit less , so you might find they still are.

G-Loc and Carbotech are quite similar as they are all family members. The father and one son are at Carbotech and the two other brothers/sons left to establish G-Loc. I used to run Carbotechs and I currently run G-Locs as I know Danny Puskar ( Push Car ) quite well. I never was fond of the 20s, and I switched to 24s long ago, their endurance pads. They take a lot of heat and I am hard on pads. The G-Loc corresponding pad would be their R18 and I run them on the front , with 10s on the rear.

Optimum Performance carries G-Locs , though I don't believe they carry Carbotech, so you can check on the pricing. I switched years back and at the time the G-Locs were a bit less , so you might find they still are.
Can you be a little more specific as to what you did not like about Carbotech XP20s? And what does the XP24 do better than the XP20s? It is commonly posted that CT and G-Loc are similar companies with family relations, and/or have similar philosophies in race pads. What I'm interested in knowing is if their respective pad compounds are similar, or not. I don't want to waste money on G-Locs if they are essentially the same as CT.

TMO Supporting Vendors