The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race Brake Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Allen,

it appears we need to have you list your car on the "Build Thread " since your heavy description has us envisioning a Sperm Whale on wheels, or a least a Walrus with tires. Please show us a picture of the " Blubbermobile " because we all think you might be exaggerating and I am betting the beast is one handsome machine?! Just saying.....

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Aha, well that will Grabber our attention, and looks like S.S. Minnow is a bit understated. Gonna have to switch your avatar over to Boosted Blue Whale , since your explanation appears to be somewhat correct. It does look like you have done a whale of a lot of mods, but sucking in all that air she ain't no minnow, she is a heavyweight mammal with plenty of power to blowholes in the competition. Sorry , not going with the fishy name, I will just call her BBW for short , since I was inappropriate before --- she couldn't be a sperm whale.

You will get bombarded by a lot for folks on TMO as there is a cadre of Grabber Blue Buddies on here and the legendary color is well appreciated by all. Now aren't you glad you posted her on the " Build Thread, " ha?!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I ran the Raybestos ST43's at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past Friday (With JustTrackit.net) I was very impressed. Good strong bite, fairly wide modulation sweet spot, minimal wear, and reasonable temps with the duct fans on. Of course, AMP is easy on consumables, . We'll see how they fare at Road Atlanta.

Last edited:
GA
I ran the Raybestos ST43's at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past Friday (With JustTrackit.com) I was very impressed. Good strong bite, fairly wide modulation sweet spot, minimal wear, and reasonable temps with the duct fans on. Of course, AMP is easy on consumables, . We'll see how they fare at Road Atlanta.
I actually heard the opposite which is why I only tracked at Road Atlanta. However, I will say consumables at AMP was reasonable if not comparable to Road Atl.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I actually heard the opposite which is why I only tracked at Road Atlanta. However, I will say consumables at AMP was reasonable if not comparable to Road Atl.
You had heard opposite as in worse wear on stuff at AMP? I'm surprised. It's easy on the cars for 2 reasons: 1) We can't go very fast at AMP because it's so tight so that saves the brakes. 2) The track surface is high tech / absolutely primo, it doesn't grate the tires away and help them last a long + not as much pebbles and crap flying so not as much dings and scratches on the cars either. I still think Road Atlanta is much more exciting / fun but it ain't easy on the car and consumables :)

GA
You had heard opposite as in worse wear on stuff at AMP? I'm surprised. It's easy on the cars for 2 reasons: 1) We can't go very fast at AMP because it's so tight so that saves the brakes. 2) The track surface is high tech / absolutely primo, it doesn't grate the tires away and help them last a long + not as much pebbles and crap flying so not as much dings and scratches on the cars either. I still think Road Atlanta is much more exciting / fun but it ain't easy on the car and consumables :)
Yerp, however, I'm glad I've added it to my list of tracks to frequently visit. It's great and you're right, unfortunately we reach 120 mph and we're on the brakes not a second later.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Used G-Locs and Carbotech pads for years and one secret seems to be to get them pre-bedded. I also find a balance with a lower temp resistant pad on the rear really balances out the way the car bites and takes less work off the front. With G-Locs I run an R18 in front and a R10 in the rear, and I get plenty of bite, but then I brake deep and hard. It seems that brake pad preference is often not just personal taste but due to how one uses their brakes.
Thoughts on the G-Loc R16 vs the R18 front (assuming R10 rear)?

I see the R18 has a higher "low" temperature range with a slightly higher "high" range. How much will that matter for non-racing applications?

I plan to swap back to the factory pads after HPDE, but I am also curious about using the R12 as a dual-purpose daily and HPDE?. My assumption is the R16 has more friction, so when braking hard initially, they will better take advantage of the PSC2 or better rubber which can handle the load.

Or just buy the R16/R10 setup for HPDE and swap back to OEM afterward until they wear out and go with an R12/R10 street setup?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD

I see the R18 has a higher "low" temperature range with a slightly higher "high" range. How much will that matter for non-racing applications?

I plan to swap back to the factory pads after HPDE, but I am also curious about using the R12 as a dual-purpose daily and HPDE?. My assumption is the R16 has more friction, so when braking hard initially, they will better take advantage of the PSC2 or better rubber which can handle the load.

Or just buy the R16/R10 setup for HPDE and swap back to OEM afterward until they wear out and go with an R12/R10 street setup?
I don’t have any experience with R16 or R18. I use R12/R10 for track. They are fine driving to the track but I can’t stand them on street because they squeal. I have left them on because I was too lazy to swap back to stock pads after a track day and going through small parking lots where I have to constantly brake was a bit embarrassing.
Also some may say pad compound is also dependent on preference and braking technique.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
I took your advice for the first set...R12 front/R10 rear. Hopefully the pads arrive in time. I delayed the purchase a little too long. The OEM should hold up for 2 light days. Worst case I will also try to source OEM as a backup and return them if I do not need them.

I am very curious if the Pagid last twice as long as G-Loc, given twice the price. Maybe next time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hopefully it all works out. Brake pads are definitely one of those things were everybody uses what works for them.

I hope Raybestos inventory is better this year. I would like to try a set of ST43s

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I used to run a 12/10 set up on my Viper ACR and found them fine, but they would wear more quickly, but I liked the feel and they did not squeal too bad. Always got pre-bedded ones though and always cleaned the rotors when I got a new set. I ran an 18 on the front of the Mustang and 10 on the rear and 18s are the Endurance pad so they need alot heat - but I brake hard and late. Squeal, well, if you don't mind a orgy of porkers getting busy, don't ever drive these on the street , it is the sound of makin bacon with crescendos machine gun like. See how you like them, and do one other thing, change your brake fluid after every weekend. Have a nice day .............

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I used to run a 12/10 set up on my Viper ACR and found them fine, but they would wear more quickly, but I liked the feel and they did not squeal too bad. Always got pre-bedded ones though and always cleaned the rotors when I got a new set. I ran an 18 on the front of the Mustang and 10 on the rear and 18s are the Endurance pad so they need alot heat - but I brake hard and late. Squeal, well, if you don't mind a orgy of porkers getting busy, don't ever drive these on the street , it is the sound of makin bacon with crescendos machine gun like. See how you like them, and do one other thing, change your brake fluid after every weekend. Have a nice day .............
Bill I may have missed it but what tires do/did you run with the 18 up front?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have run R18s up front with Hoosiers, BFG gforce R1Ss ( no longer available ) and Toyo RRs. The 18s take a lot of heat and I usually drag the brakes during the yellow lap of a race, as they are an Endurance pad and some folks prefer something with quicker bite. I get them hot enough and they worked great for me, but some folks like something that kicks in sooner. I brake late and really hard so I keep the heat up.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN

I have worked my way up the G-Loc range starting with the R10/R8 combo. It was street friendly and worked well with 280 tread wear summer only tires. When I moved up to 200 tread wear tires I needed more brake to take advantage of the extra grip. I went to the R12/R10's. These worked well with 200 tread wear tires, but the R12's wear pretty quickly. After moving to Toyo R888r's I once again wanted a higher torque compound. I have run the R16's up front with both the R10 and R12 rears with these tires. The R16's are bit noisy on the street, but I don't drive mine much on the street anymore.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I have worked my way up the G-Loc range starting with the R10/R8 combo. It was street friendly and worked well with 280 tread wear summer only tires. When I moved up to 200 tread wear tires I needed more brake to take advantage of the extra grip. I went to the R12/R10's. These worked well with 200 tread wear tires, but the R12's wear pretty quickly. After moving to Toyo R888r's I once again wanted a higher torque compound. I have run the R16's up front with both the R10 and R12 rears with these tires. The R16's are bit noisy on the street, but I don't drive mine much on the street anymore.
Eric,
How is the longevity of the R16 vs the R12? In your personal experience

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Eric,
How is the longevity of the R16 vs the R12? In your personal experience
I was hoping for longer life with the R16's, but I am not seeing a noticeable difference. They do have more initial bite and hold up to heat better, but lifespan seems to be about the same so far.

Thanks to KNS for saving my trackday last week! My stock 2021 GT500 pads didn’t look terrible in the caliper but I realized they had to be replaced 2 days before my trackday last week when I slid the calipers back. Apparently most GT500’s are sitting in garages so the channel isn’t topped up on pads, but KNS rose to my emergency managed to get the pads to me overnight.

Thanks 🙏 again!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
Could I ask what difference you felt running R16/R10 vs R16/R12?
My (Carbotech equivalent) rear pads wore out so much faster than my fronts, so I'm investigating the forum to see if I need to bump it up from 10 to 12, or if that'll even have any effect on it lol

TMO Supporting Vendors