The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race car X pipe and exhaust modes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thinking about more technical things (and having time to spare as I am waiting for parts to arrive), What have the more advanced cars done about their Xpipes and rear exhaust?? My Xpipe is a Kooks, but its battered and worse for wear with several repairs, that and the angles coming together for the join look to be less then ideal, Was thinking of remaking it with less acute angles and going under the axle with 3" all the way to back. @ArizonaBOSS, @captdistraction. What did you guys do in the end?? Is this worth it?? Something like this.... Still have to keep the sound below 90db too get on the track.

upload_2020-1-14_20-21-5.png

ny
different car but my fr500c ex rehagen Khor car. dean used 2.5 in ss 304 tubing all the way back BUT ran pipes under rear between sway bar and rear housing dean said it gained 14 hp. mufflers were glass packs mounted just about were rear seat is. no cats on the fr500c cars. the x pipe I have as spare is very close to your design.chris

ny
if knew how to post pictures i would lol but pm me and i will send you pics if you like.dean had a left over complete exhaust i just bought had way too much $$$$ in material labor to let pass for what asked 4 it.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I've kept the stock style, for better or worse. I use "kooks" headers, a 3" x pipe, stock GT overaxle pipes (with resonators), and roush mufflers. A lot of it is heat wrapped, but its basically the stock fitment from the headers back.

Its heavy no doubt, but flows well and sounds amazing.

I've considered a vorshlag-style exhaust to drop some weight and pick up some power when running unrestricted tracks (which keep becoming fewer and fewer). I might see if something could be packaged to bolt to the body assembly studs and slide into the oem midpipe connection.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well its starting to get put together, its the shops first attempt at TIG welding, didn't know you had to have gas on the inside as well.... Interesting!

1581273786149.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors