The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you all use for race numbers? I'm going with the reusable vinyl I can take off and put back on. I read that the magnetic ones fall off at high speed and also scratch the paint. I e-mailed promotorstripes to see if they can make said reusable vinyl (they make the Boss 302 helmet decals) in the "Boss 302" font but in case that don't make these type of race numbers who/what do you guys use for your race numbers?

P.S. I run #302 at the PCA autocrosses and hope to run the same number in the HPDE events I attend. 302 is a pain to make each time using painter's tape. ;D

I have the reusable vinyl and they work well.

The best race number for 2012/2013 Bosses is 50 just as 15 is for the 1969/1970.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That's true about magnets in general. I use them both, but you have to keep magnets clean and store them flat. They're not good for top surfaces, or anywhere with lift. I use them on the sides and back. And you can't slide it once it's sticking, they need to be lifted, realigned and slowly rolled/laid back on.

Generally, vinyl is easier and better looking. But on the rear deck, I use magnets on the factory blackout sticker, because I think it would be worse to adhere anything to it.

Grant your red painter's tape is amazing, where'd you get it? (Are there different colors too?) Are you in SOCal by chance?

Since I have a street car that only sees occasional track service I found Chartpak vinyl numbers an economical choice. They come in sizes up to 6" (not huge but big enough) and various colors. In this pic I'm using white on the back windows and black on the hood. They remove easily and can be reused several times by simply storing them back on the backing sheet. What's nice is you always have an assortment of numbers available since you can't always get the number you want at each event.
20120623_WGI_BLK_0564.jpg

Sesshomurai

I use this site for my magnetic vinyl numbers.

http://www.fireballgraphix.com/vinyl/catalog/default.php

You can customize and proof it before they cut it.

However, I notice that using these on the side of the car means the number will bend over the crease in the door.
Not sure how/if that will hold up at high speed. Anyone using mag vinyls on the door?

darreng505 said:
I use this site for my magnetic vinyl numbers.

http://www.fireballgraphix.com/vinyl/catalog/default.php

You can customize and proof it before they cut it.

However, I notice that using these on the side of the car means the number will bend over the crease in the door.
Not sure how/if that will hold up at high speed. Anyone using mag vinyls on the door?

I've had bad luck with magnetic numbers blowing off and have seen many other people also have problems. I've seen some people resort to taping the front edge of their numbers. Could be some mag numbers are better than others though.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
fduboss302 said:
Grant your red painter's tape is amazing, where'd you get it? (Are there different colors too?) Are you in SOCal by chance?

It's orange 3M duct tape that I got from Lowe's. Found it in the paint section. I *am* in SoCal/O.C.!

Magnetic all the way. I store mine stuck on the side door of my garage. I've had these for 4 years and use them on the sides and front of the roof line. I paid a local sign company $75 for two 5s and two 6s so I can be up to 7 different #s. The PCA requires one on each side and one on the hood, but since my hood (was aluminum) is fiberglass, I put it on the leading edge of the roofline. Oh and by the way I'm doing 150 coming into Turn 5 here ;)

dsc01706uz.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-06-19

dsc01822kr.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-06-19

20110729bir4673.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2011-10-19

I recommend magnetics as well, they have been no issue at all. I have had them up over 150mph many a time, no problems. I store mine on the fridge, which the wife absolutely loves ::)

ME3Z3849.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I tried magnetics - didn't stay on the doors at Pocono (First time I caused a meatball flag ! ;D ) and they tend to scratch the paint and don't do well in cold weather (an issue here in the northeast early and late in the driving season). I like the semi-permanent die cut (which I use now) or the removable vinyl.

drano38

Wayne
I've got magnetic also per Gary's recommendation. Local sign shop made 3 for about $60.
They are sized to fit on the flat part of the door.
Sign guy said never put magnetic on a curved surface, so don't go above the crease at the door handle, nor onto the curve above the lower C-stripe.
I put them on soon after washing, so the car is clean. Clean the magnet with glass cleaner. Don't slide them!
I've only tested them to 140 mph, but plan to get a better test end of the month at BIR!

20120428204100.jpg

Sesshomurai

drano38 said:
Sign guy said never put magnetic on a curved surface

Sign guy might be right in general, but the problem is, you won't find a car without a curved surface unless it's a box! ;D

That was my first idea. I am also curious how a Petty blue-ish background with white or black numbers would look. CCRs say the numbers must be contrasting but it might be ok if the background is contrasting. And it is a bit of a tribute to my first fun car, which was a PB 69 Charger that was more rust than metal.

TMO Supporting Vendors