The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race pad integrity question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I finally made it to my first HPDE Memorial Day weekend. I have to say it was the most fun that I had in many years!
Now to my question. Is the cracking on my front pads OK more specially the one on the far right. It's a brand new set up - Brembo 6 pot upgrade with G-loc R-12s up front and brand new OEM calipers in the rear with R-10s. Vorshlag cooling plates up front with front clip cut outs. The rotors look good with just a tad more wear on the inside. The R12s wore super even and only used around 1.3-4 mm out of 10mm of original thickness.

I was super excited that I had plenty of pad left for another weekend but not so sure with that one pad.
The second photo is a close up looking in the part of the crack.
Thanks!

KIMG4287.JPG

KIMG4289.JPG

KIMG4288.JPG

Racing will always put more stress on brakes than "normal" driving. That crack is a concern that should not be forgotten.....those things happen....keep an eye on it...don"t let it rattle you....... unless it happens again......................

Racing will always put more stress on brakes than "normal" driving. That crack is a concern that should not be forgotten.....those things happen....keep an eye on it...don"t let it rattle you....... unless it happens again......................
I'm not so sure that I'll run that pad which unfortunately means a full new set. I'm going to contact G-loc. It was my first weekend ever and was not pushing hard. I can see small cracks as normal wear. I understand that things like that happen but when I figure that front brake system functioned with no issues and only one pad had significant cracks and maybe an area of internal separation of pad material I have to question the pad and potential defect in the matrix.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the post. Ill be very interested in what you hear from GLoc as I have the same brake setup, pads, including cooling and will be at Sebring for TT in July. Did you monitor brake temps after runs? Anybody question the OEM rotor use vs vented?

Thanks for the post. Ill be very interested in what you hear from GLoc as I have the same brake setup, pads, including cooling and will be at Sebring for TT in July. Did you monitor brake temps after runs? Anybody question the OEM rotor use vs vented?
My instructor did temps on the rotors but has not sent me the sheet. I cant remember what they were. I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not running 2012 OEM rotors. I'm running the 2013-14 Ford BRRF-218 15" rotors that work with 6 pot Brembo upgrade which are rear vented.

I had the same experience with G-Loc pads. Cracked after the first use, didn't go back to them after that. They did work decently well though. I will be curious as to what they reply to you in the email.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I was thinking about switching from Hawk's rotor eaters to something different but looks like G-Loc should go the top of the "do not buy" list.
Might not have to worry about Hawks (which I find to be very good as long as they are fully warmed up before you push them hard) as they are not showing any front pads for the PP Mustangs on their website, which is weird. Have to call my brake guy today and see what's up with that.

Last edited:
Well, 4 working days - email last Sunday for Monday morning and follow up email Tuesday PM and no response from G-loc.
I rescind the above post. I made an error and was not on top of stuff this AM. I only checked my email around 5 PM yesterday. Danny, the owner, replied a shortly after that. He said that he would run the pads and thought it looks worse than what it really is. I'll run them but will have a backup set just in case. I should have/need a backup/placement set ready to go anyways...

TX
I rescind the above post. I made an error and was not on top of stuff this AM. I only checked my email around 5 PM yesterday. Danny, the owner, replied a shortly after that. He said that he would run the pads and thought it looks worse than what it really is. I'll run them but will have a backup set just in case. I should have/need a backup/placement set ready to go anyways...

Just be careful. When I had my second set separate on me, I blew through a braking zone at 130 mph. I was lucky that I had a ton of run off. I made it about 75 yard off track before I stopped.

GA
Just be careful. When I had my second set separate on me, I blew through a braking zone at 130 mph. I was lucky that I had a ton of run off. I made it about 75 yard off track before I stopped.

Wow, G-loc has lost a customer forever. I personally like the OEM brake pads at least for my skill level they consistently work so far and I cannot find a reason to switch just yet.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Wow, G-loc has lost a customer forever. I personally like the OEM brake pads at least for my skill level they consistently work so far and I cannot find a reason to switch just yet.

You will find a reason, eventually. If you've got a PP car the OEM pads are Ferodo DS2500 and they are pretty good pads. But once you really get going well you'll find they're not good enough for track work. Racing pads will eventually turn out to be cheaper as well since you won't go through them as quickly.
I agree with your sentiments about G-loc, they're off my list of stuff to try as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel