The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race pads with stock tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On my first track weekend, the factory pads seemed to work fine, but I'm a little worried about the beating they will take on my next session. They are strong enough to overcome the grip of the factory tires, so I don't think I need stronger brake torque (am I making that phrase up?) but I would like to be better able to deal with the heat. I've got a set of hawk DTC's (70/60) with rotors that have already been bedded with these pads from the previous owner. I was wondering if I should use them for my next track weekend.

So my questions are:

Is there any value in running race pads with regular street tires?

Will I have problems getting into ABS too much?

Will race pads keep temps down, or are they just better at dealing with high temps?

Disclaimer: I am new to racing so I will just repeat what others have observed/done.

EDIT: (Just realized you already have them) It seems like the first thing many have done is install the FRPP brake ducts and remove the rear rotor shields. That helps with any brake setup and might extend the life of your stock pads till you replace the tires.

If you get a race pad it makes sense to me that it will trigger the ABS easier but as long as you are aware of that it might not be a huge issue for driving at speeds the stock tires can handle. Maybe try them in an empty parking lot first?

My tires heat-cycled out and still had half the tread left, not sure where yours are for grip, but probably diminished. Mine were pretty hard so I replaced them with Sport Comp 2s. Hopefully I can get back to a track before those lose grip, too.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Practice your threshold braking technique. You should become familiar with being able to come right up to the point of engaging ABS... and not engaging it. Track pads with street tires can work if you practice this.

I wouldn't recommend anything like a DTC70 for a street tire application, but there are lower friction 'track' pads available (EBC Yellowstuff... HPS+) that have more friction than OEM and higher temperature operating ranges.

JScheier said:
I wouldn't recommend anything like a DTC70 for a street tire application

That's exactly what I needed to hear.

I took a look at the stock brake pads last night while I was removing the rear brake dust shields, and they have a surprising amount of life left. Looks like they can take the small amount of punishment I'm able to give them in a weekend at VIR. So for now, I'll stick with stock pads until I'm ready to move up to slicks (or until the stock pads wear out.) Then I'll put on the DTC's.

I also noticed an odd scuff pattern on the rear rotors. Unlike typical rotor wear that is continuously concentric, it looks like every half inch or so there's a scuff. I think that's from the advancetrac trying to keep me in it's safety zone. Next track weekend, I'll have the TCS off to keep the rear brakes from getting beat up too much.

bobby.is.rad said:
I also noticed an odd scuff pattern on the rear rotors. Unlike typical rotor wear that is continuously concentric, it looks like every half inch or so there's a scuff. I think that's from the advancetrac trying to keep me in it's safety zone. Next track weekend, I'll have the TCS off to keep the rear brakes from getting beat up too much.

The scuff probably matches up with inner cooling fin. I believe that is a normal wear pattern.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
06mach1 said:
The scuff probably matches up with inner cooling fin. I believe that is a normal wear pattern.

Yup... and the latest photo attachment shows that perfectly. If you were to pull the wheel and look down at the rotor from the top, the heavier pad deposits (whitish marks) should correspond to the material between the vanes and are directly related to the material transfer and the heat of the rotor (vane is cooler than material between vanes).

JScheier said:
... that have more friction than OEM and higher temperature operating ranges.

Does anyone happen to know the operating temperatures of the OEM "ferodo 4446" front pads in Bosses and Brembo cars?

I've done 3 track days on the stock pads, and I never noticed them to fade. Makes me wonder why... and what temperature threshold I should be trying not to cross.

(p.s. I'm a novice/intermediate on the track, 5 HPDE events total)

I was really impressed with the stock brake setup (plus ducts and ATE superblue.) I didn't have them fade on me once at VIR, and I had compressed my braking zone about as much as I could coming into corner 1, which is bringing you down from 120+ to probably around 40.

isrboss

bobby.is.rad said:
I was really impressed with the stock brake setup (plus ducts and ATE superblue.) I didn't have them fade on me once at VIR, and I had compressed my braking zone about as much as I could coming into corner 1, which is bringing you down from 120+ to probably around 40.

The additional items you mention here along with OEM pads will be sufficient with any street tire. I did one track day at Homestead without the FRPP ducts and wore through a lot of front OEM pad. I was able to cut that wear in half just by adding the ducts for my next event. I just put on new OEM pads, I like them that much, low dust, no noise and able to keep up with 1.03 g of braking time and time again is a winner to me! While on street tires of course.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
depending upon your level of experience you can easily burnout the stock pads on street tires in one day at the track.there are a number of pads that you can use safelywith three tires like the stock Pirelli tires. The RS-29 / RS-56 combo that we sell as well more stopping power than the stock pads but does not require a high level of experience with threshold braking when used with the stock tires. The moderation and Louise characteristics a better person lol you to control this is easier then either pads.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PeteInCT said:
The moderation and Louise characteristics a better person lol you to control this is easier then either pads.

I Siri typing for you? :D

'The modulation and release characteristics better allow you to control this easier than either pads' ? ...Just a guess...

TMO Supporting Vendors