The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race Seats: Aluminum vs Composite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
What would you choose for my car and why? Any safety concerns with either option?

Back story: Over the next several months I will be prepping my car for wheel-to-wheel racing for the 2015 year 8) (thanks Drew ::) lol) I will primarily be racing in my local track's race series (COMMA) but the cage will be NASA AI/ST legal so I could go that route at some point as well with some tweaks. I've got a good idea on how I want the cage to be designed but I'm not sure what seat would be best. Right now I have two Corbeau FX1 Pros and they are ok but I would like to upgrade to one nice halo seat.

I really like the idea of a full containment aluminum seat as far as keeping my body planted and being able to pick from more sizes. From what I can gather, an aluminum seat would need to be used in conjunction with a back brace to legal with NASA/SCCA due to the aluminum flexing/folding upon impact. I'm not terribly fond of the idea of a back brace. Custom mounts would probably need to be made. Price is initially cheaper than composite seat.

Aluminum option: Ultra Shield Halo VS
142_lg_zpse0802e8f.jpg

Composite seats look very nice and seem to be a more popular option in the cars I've run across. Again, from what I can gather, if a composite seat is FIA approved then it can be used without a brace for 5 years. After that a back brace would need to be used. Seat sizes are more generic than aluminum. Doesn't look to keep you as contained. A little more expensive. Looks more comfortable.

Composite option: Momo daytona
daytonaevo.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I always found composite seats to be a more comfortable option when running longer, enduro style races.

With that said, many of the newer aluminum seats have excellent padding, some of which is padded / contoured for a more comfortable fit.

I've always run Cobra seats (even when they weren't 'cool'). Their carbon / kevlar construction is extremely strong, and for the price, offers options found on more expensive seats. My last 3 cars all had Cobra Suzuka seats in them. My next car, should I go back to full-track mode, will most likely have a Cobra Evolution Pro-Fit.

Recently (last weekend) I drove an M3 with a RaceTech seat in it. Wasn't as comfortable as a Cobra... but seemed like it could get the job done.

I've never owned racing seats, but I've sat in both styles in instructors' cars at the track. All I can say is that every aluminum seat I've been in has hurt my back. Now I'm not sure If there's beefier padding out there, but they've all felt horrible for me.

So, based on my personal experience, I've already decided to go composite once that time comes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I haven't used an aluminum seat but there is certainly nothing wrong with them. I will say the Sparco Pro-ADV that I have is very comfortable and absolutely keeps you contained. The Momo seat you have pictured is of a similar design.

Don't forget that you will be strapped in with 5 or 6-points when you are in the seat, and if you have the opportunity, BY ALL MEANS sit in them before you buy. Big factor is to make sure you have your fire suit (or a borrowed fire suit) on to make sure the fit isn't too tight with all your gear.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
roadhouse said:
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Definitely plan on sitting in a few different seats and see what I like :)

If you can get over to Vorshlag, I know they have the Cobra Evolution Pro-Fit in their 2012 GT. They should have several other seats available as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel