The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race take offs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
Get an in-car camera already...
LOL so you can find out what's over that hill when I miss Turn 1? :p

John (LS110) will be there with me and he's got an in-car camera so you'll get some video. I'll go out ahead of him at least once I promise :D

FWIW, if you are looking for "used tires" it almost always pays to use some type of traction enhancement before the race, I detailed that in another post, but cover the tire liberally, then wrap it in saran wrap for about a week, then the night before give it one more light coat. Now when you are done racing and the tires cool down to ambient temperature, then recoat the tires liberally and wrap them for storage in the saran wrap, you'll be surprised at how much time you can get out of them if you do this.
IMO the best laps you will ever get out of a set of tires are the first 5, this is why stickers are usually preferred for qualifying..however, if you break in the tires with small heat cycles they will stick better..longer. If you pound them into the pavement by running them very hard, early they will stick better ( because these are the best laps the tire will ever have), but for a shorter period of time. (less life cycle) I hope I explained that in a manner that you can grasp.
There is also a HUGE difference between an autocross compound (or a qualifying compound) and a regular race tire. For Autox the tire never really comes up to temp (and burnouts are illegal)so the compound is pretty aggressive, far more than you would want for a track tire. The same goes for the race tire, they never really get "sticky" on an auto -x course. (traction enhancements notwithstanding, it has been my experience that they will effect the immediate bite but they really don't change the overall characteristics.) Where it is very tempting to use an aggressive compound for a road course you may find that after the "hero laps" the compound is not as effective and that a harder compound tire, that has it's heat cycles managed (along with a traction enhancer like Goat P**s ) may work better, several laps down the road, it will certainly be cheaper.
Hope this helps

cloud9 said:
John (LS110) will be there with me and he's got an in-car camera so you'll get some video. I'll go out ahead of him at least once I promise :D

There is no way in h*** you will be passing me... in my dreams. Reality is I will be lucky to keep up with you for 3 turns and you will become a little spec in my video. And then I will be too embarrassed to share it with anybody.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
cloud9 said:

Post #3 refers to the Hoosier website... which in the post you quoted, I said was OUT of R6s.

I was wondering if anyone had an OTHER places (ie NOT Hoosier's discontinued tire website) I should look?

Seven said:
Post #3 refers to the Hoosier website... which in the post you quoted, I said was OUT of R6s.

I was wondering if anyone had an OTHER places (ie NOT Hoosier's discontinued tire website) I should look?
Dood Reply #3 - Otherwise call Greg Miller: http://gttrackdays.com/ They have all kinds of takeoffs. I just bought two sets of Conti takeoffs from the 24 hour Rolex race at Daytona.

zzyzx

Steve
Seven said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Hoosier rep you quoted said the Continental is in fact an R6 (same compound), and those are in stock for $221. So I read that as out of R6s that say "Hoosier" on the sidewall, but plenty of R6s with "Continental" on the sidewall. :)

Tulsa, OK
I called John at jbracingtires.net and purchased a set of (4) 275/35/18 R6s a few months ago for around $400. I'll be trying them out next weekend.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
ArizonaGT said:
I don't think he wants to spend the extra $100 per tire
I figure I'll probably end up getting the same use out of take offs as the continentals (based on some feedback from people - ie Drew and some others), and it'd be half the cost, or about half the cost with some traction additive (Drew said a jug is like $40 and will last for like 3-4 sets).
roadhouse said:
I called John at jbracingtires.net and purchased a set of (4) 275/35/18 R6s a few months ago for around $400. I'll be trying them out next weekend.
Will check em out, thanks!
Todd at GT Track Days gave me a similar price. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors