The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race take offs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
So I've been out of the road course/HPDE game for a while and I'm about to get back in it with my Boss. I'd like to buy R-Comps but I figured it'd be in my best interest to find out about used slicks if people are selling them, especially if they'll end up being cheaper

Where should I be looking?

I have 4 Continental take offs I haven't used for sale. 2 of them only have 3 laps. I have to check the sizes but I think they are 275 18's.

I also have a pair of brand new Pirelli Corsa R-comps 285/19's for sale.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Check out that Hoosier Tire thread there are brand new R6s (R6s now gone!) and A6s in 295/40 for $120 each, or brand new Continental Race Slicks for $220 each

YellowBoss said:
I knew Gary would post his link. Another good way to get take-offs is at the races, not all teams will sell but some do. I know Rehagen will also ship take-off tires.
I've bought other takeoffs, but usually they're junk. I've had good luck with these guys. Oh and I did take advantage of a set of new Contis from Hoosier's closeout. Wife's gonna be pissed :D

cloud9 said:
I've bought other takeoffs, but usually they're junk. I've had good luck with these guys. Oh and I did take advantage of a set of new Contis from Hoosier's closeout. Wife's gonna be pissed :D

It crossed my mind but as good as the take-offs are I am going to hold off (I think).

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:

Its a little cold today to be in the doghouse isn't it? ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:

Awesome...interested to hear feedback on the sticker contis vs. R6s...

ArizonaGT said:
Check out that Hoosier Tire thread there are brand new R6s and A6s in 295/40 for $120 each, or brand new Continental Race Slicks for $220 each

Drew - Am I looking at the right spot for the Conti's at $220. See the link below. I am only finding $296?

Gary - What price did you find?

http://www.hoosiertire.com/ecommerce/Products.asp?SubCatID=17

LS110 said:
Drew - Am I looking at the right spot for the Conti's at $220. See the link below. I am only finding $296?

Gary - What price did you find?

http://www.hoosiertire.com/ecommerce/Products.asp?SubCatID=17
$296 for the 305s and $260 for the 285s. The shipping fee is a flat $15 for the entire order. Still pretty cheap and less than Nittos.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
John I was referring to the tire pictured 2nd from the bottom, if you want the CTSCC tire get the 275/35/18 EC-DR in the drop-down list. Also they have Rolex Contis that should fit, the 285/645/18 GT-O tires, in the same drop down.

ArizonaGT said:
John I was referring to the tire pictured 2nd from the bottom, if you want the CTSCC tire get the 275/35/18 EC-DR in the drop-down list. Also they have Rolex Contis that should fit, the 285/645/18 GT-O tires, in the same drop down.

Thanks Drew, I will check those out!

Seven

Dacia Sandero
I emailed to ask about A6 vs the Continentals (as they are out of R6s) and this is what I got back...

Jeff Speer said:
Ryan,

This is Jeff Speer, the Product Manager for the Hoosier Tire road race product line. I do see where we are out of the R6 tread compound in the P295/40ZR-18 tire size, but you are welcome to run the A6 on a road course if you heat cycle the tire before racing on it.

All of the designations below are for the Continental branded tires we make for the Rolex series and Conti Tire Challenge.

What I might recommend is the following item for your purpose:

Item 20270 – 275/35R-18 EC-DR - $221.00 each

This tire has a diameter of 25.5” and a tread width of 10.3”. This tire can be used on a 18 x 9 or 18 x 10 wheel.

The EC-DR stands for Extreme Contact – DRY and has the same compound as the R6.

The GT stands for the Rolex GT class

The DP stands for the Daytona Prototype class.

The “O” designation is the Banked Oval road course design.

If you are looking for a good track tire use the A6 or the EC-Dry. The A6 price is pretty good - $120.00 each compared to the EC-DRY tire - $221.00 each.

Write me if you have any more questions.

Jeffrey A. Speer

Product Manager

Seven said:
I emailed to ask about A6 vs the Continentals (as they are out of R6s) and this is what I got back...
Well the GT-Os should work good at BIR then since Turn 1 is a high speed banked turn :) Not quite as fast as Daytona but entry speed is 150-160 and the banking is significant.

TMO Supporting Vendors