The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Race Tire Education

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
I've been through quite a few sets of Pirelli takeoffs now. Really like the tire for the cost (as a take-off). I'd never use them at something like Daytona or in competition, but I'm comfortable with them on tracks I know well and have a good plan for. @blacksheep-1 is absolutely right about their characteristics, tho. They are true insanity for a couple of sessions and then drop off seconds. That said, I did set a new PB at COTA of 2:21 on tires that were on day 3 of my use. I was shocked.

Hoosiers are better if you're buying new (at least for us normies).

The GY 3Rs are fantastic, but they're only guaranteed for 2 days and the cost is enough that I am not planning on continuing to run them (they're good for the driver that drives their car to the track and is chasing hero laps, though). Michelin Cup2s last longer, but are less sticky.

The regular GY Supercar 3s are probably the best 200+ TW tire I've ever seen. Shockingly sticky for the abuse they'll take.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel