The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Raced a Shelby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad news and bad news, which one first?
Found myself lined up with a new Shelby in a no cop area on in VA (this is very rare). Off the line, the Boss was side by side and slightly pulled ahead in the first three gears, but after that the extra ponies of the supercharged Shelby demonstrated their dominance over my high revving 5.0. It was quite impressive actually, how much faster it was from about 75mph -140mph when we finally eased off. He pulled ahead by quite a bit; granted, I did have a passenger and it wasn't until around 4th gear before I realized I still had the AC on hogging some of the power and clammered to switch it off. I know the Boss isn't designed to go toe to toe with the Shelby in these conditions, but it still made me a tad sad. :(
In much worse news, I came out to my covered Boss this morning after a 2 hour detail session last night, pulled the cover off and my heart sank as I realized that there was a softball sized dent and some scratches in the driver side front panel. :'( I have done everything I can to keep this car prestine. I park as far away under lighted conditions and keep the car covered while at work and while I sleep. shiznit still happens! I hope that most of you out there don't have to experience the anger and frustration that I am feeling now, as I decide whether to pay out of pocket or call my insurance. ???

Get it fixed! You won't sleep until you do. Insurance vs. out of pocket really depends on your deductible. If your deductible is only a few hundred less than the cost of repair my advice is pay for it out of pocket and save your insurance for something really significant. Your rates will stay where they are and on a month to month cash flow basis that is worth gold (unless money is no object!)

As for losing out to the Shelby, your results are to be expected. In a straight line physics say the Shelby will prevail, otherwise that car wouldn't cost nearly $10K more than the Boss and the 550 hp wouldn't compute. You buy the Boss for overall performance, and that is where you have the Shelby beat (although with the 2012 GT 500's I understand not by much). Apples to Oranges.

Take on a Camaro SS, standard Corvette or Challenger SRT8 then you'll be on a more even playing field for straightline acceleration. And as far as overall acceleration and handling, on paper you should come out on top.

Fix the dent and build a shed! If your keeping the car outside you can try all you want but you can't control everyone around the boss, its not your fault. Hell, I get upset while in traffic if someone hugs my rear bumper ::) Good luck in the future!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I'd say the Shelby news isn't really bad news, more expected news than anything. That's what a S/C will do for you. As far as the dent, sucks definitely but like others said, get it fixed and do it the best way possible depending on your deductible.

1TRKMND said:
Hell, I get upset while in traffic if someone hugs my rear bumper ::) Good luck in the future!

Oohh, big pet peeve of mine - and can come very close to triggering road rage. But sometimes, in the right spot, you just step on it and say bye-bye ;D

The Boss is not expected to compete with the GT 500 in a straight line. If you were ahead of him up to 75 mph you probably gave him a heart attack and that's a win. ;D

Bummer about the dent, good luck getting it fixed.

I crashed my challenger into the side of my garage when it was brand new! I was backing out and took out the front quarter panel. What a bummer so I know how ya feel! Get it fixed fast and feel better fast. Just dropping it off at the body shop made me feel much better.

jpl5007 said:
Bad news and bad news, which one first?
Found myself lined up with a new Shelby in a no cop area on in VA (this is very rare). Off the line, the Boss was side by side and slightly pulled ahead in the first three gears, but after that the extra ponies of the supercharged Shelby demonstrated their dominance over my high revving 5.0. It was quite impressive actually, how much faster it was from about 75mph -140mph when we finally eased off. He pulled ahead by quite a bit; granted, I did have a passenger and it wasn't until around 4th gear before I realized I still had the AC on hogging some of the power and clammered to switch it off. I know the Boss isn't designed to go toe to toe with the Shelby in these conditions, but it still made me a tad sad. :(
In much worse news, I came out to my covered Boss this morning after a 2 hour detail
session last night, pulled the cover off and my heart sank as I realized that there was a
softball sized dent and some scratches in the driver side front panel. :'( I have done everything I can to keep this car prestine. I park as far away under lighted conditions and keep the car covered while at work and while I sleep. shiznit still happens! I hope that most of you out there don't have to experience the anger and frustration that I am feeling now, as I decide whether to pay out of pocket or call my insurance. ???
Don't know what part of VA you're in, but I'd look into Dent Doctor if the scratches can be buffed out. It may be the least expensive fix.
As far losing to the Cobra, the fact that you stayed with him so long considering the difference in hardware is a "win". The Cobra quarter mile is only 12.2 and I've seen stock
Boss times (no drag radials) around 12.4. Not bad.

If you want to feel better about the GT500, invite him to the road course. I have both cars, BUT my GT500 has 640 rwhp/625 rwtq which is about 250 more than the Boss (roughly 750 hp at the crank). Now, on the road course I dial it back with a larger pulley to 575/545 which is still 200 more than the Boss! Guess what, I ran 2.62 seconds faster at BIR in the Boss than the GT500 and that's with a front straightaway that's a mile long! Hardly a short technical track ;)

The only bad news is your dent, like the others said, losing to the Shelby is to be expected. I can guarantee you this; when all said and done, even though the Boss gives up 100hp to the Shelby, history will judge the Boss' 5.0 a superior engine to the Shelby's 5.4.

jpl5007 said:
it wasn't until around 4th gear before I realized I still had the AC on hogging some of the power and clammered to switch it off.

No need to waist time reaching for the switch. The car automatically switches off the AC under WOT.

Bummer about the dents.

Who passes who at the end of that straightaway and in to the twisty s? If you have to park on the street maybe a couple of traffic cones at the bumpers might help. The noobs and morons might see it sooner. I say that because no one left their insurance info. My two cents.

Well, a newbie here and a Shelby owner. These are truly two different cars with two different purposes. I have an 08 (not stock) and enjoy driving it on the street. I will be looking in the next couple of years at a new Shelby or a Boss. I only regret I cant afford both ;. The new SVT package GT500 is very competent on the road course as well as straight line. I recently drovea friend's at Road America and approached 160 on the long straightaway. I have not been fortunate enough to be able to drive a Boss yet but, my American Iron Mustang will not reach those speeds. Skip racing the Shelby's. Kick some Camaro/Challenger butt! Its a good time to be a Mustang fan!

Hey Tim welcome to BMO. Great to see you over here. I've heard good things about the new GT500s with SVTPP on the road course. They'll hold the upper hand in the power department, but even with the aluminum block they'll be more nose heavy than the Boss. The difference in feel from our era GT500 and the Boss is night and day. I was stunned at how well the Boss handles comparatively. It's like they took the engine out up front it's that noticeable.

Agreed, the 07-09 shelbys were not very good in turns without mods. A Boss would make quick work on a road course. The new Shelby's, depends on course and driver. Would love to see what I could do with a Boss, preferably an LS on a longer course

TMO Supporting Vendors