The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Racing Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Indiana
It was time to replace the clutches in my two Boss 302S cars. I had replaced the stock Exedy clutch in my 2014 with an Exedy double plate clutch 6,500 miles ago and had not touched the one in the 2013 from new. I worked with Capaldi Racing and we chose the Tiltin double plate clutch system for both. It comes with fly wheel, clutch assembly, slave cylinder and SS braded lines (it was going away). I hauled both cars to Capaldi's shop for installation. Here is the amazing part, when we removed the old clutches we found that the 2013 came with the double plate clutch used in the 2013 Shelby GT 500 (662HP) and it weighted 58.3#. The double plate Exedy weighed in at 38.9#. The Tiltin came in at a mere 19.7 pounds. a huge difference. Rolling mas is not your friend.

I had noticed the 2013 did not reach max RPM and the same spot on the track as the 2014 but thought it was the mods to the 2014 engine. Now I know it was the engine having to spool up the extra heavy clutch. Took them for test run on my county road and was amazed at how much faster the reves came. Will have at NCM April 9 & 10 and report back.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel