The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Racing Harness installation (6 pt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Does anyone have a good solution for the installation location/set up of the crotch belt portion of a six point harness in a 2012 boss 302? Basically, the interior floorboard looks like a number of options but underneath the architecture is not well situated for this purpose. I was hoping to do it the way Schroth recommended but that does not seem possible, any ideas?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
Do you have a race seat installed? I used this from @06mach1 on my Sparco base and it works perfectly. If you have a stock seat he might have something too, try PMing him.

Does anyone have a good solution for the installation location/set up of the crotch belt portion of a six point harness in a 2012 boss 302? Basically, the interior floorboard looks like a number of options but underneath the architecture is not well situated for this purpose. I was hoping to do it the way Schroth recommended but that does not seem possible, any ideas?
I can help you out if you have the factory recaros seats or race seats. Let me know.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for the info - the sub belt mounts look great and easy to use. I actually have an older set up that is similar, but wanted to see if I could go right through the floorboards for them. I wonder how the 302S was set up in this regard.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Do as TMS suggested, and frankly I could just lay the six point hook up in front of the seat and tucked under a bit, but sitting on it does not really bother one either.

I have used 06mach1's mount with the stock Recaro and it worked fine but I have a dedicated race seat and now use an eyebolt through the floor. Yes there are some contours in that area but I found a good place that works.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
It looks like if I went through the floorboard I would have to have one eyebolt for the sub belt going in between the fuel lines (and a sump pump line). See the yellow mark where the bolt would be.

Assuming that I do not drill into a fuel line, should I be concerned about any safety issues with this set up?

836AD2A3-51E6-4186-A251-B1C8EAC53831.jpeg

Since we are on the topic of racing harness install and mounts what do all you guys think of this installation?
Vorschlag seat mount with center belts exiting through the bottom of the Sparco seat to mounts in plate.
Left lap belt mounted to original seat belt threaded location.
Right lap belt mount through side of trans tunnel with a flat steel reinforcement.
Shoulder belts mounted to roll cage.
Look safe and proper to you?

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9765.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I'll let you know after I eat my supper off of your floors! - looks pretty well sorted out to me.

The only thing that might be a bit out of spec could be the sub belt, though many seem to be set up like yours.

I still have an Ebrake so it looks like I cannot mount the driver side to the trans tunnel like yours due to hardware in that spot on the underside.

Beautiful car and workmanship BKBoss302 - and thank you for all your good advice this winter, it has helped a lot.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am running Cobra Imola GT race seats. I wrapped the shoulder belts around the bar on my maximum motorsports roll bar. The lap belts are eye bolted through the floor close to the stock seat belt locations with Sparco backing plates and I welded angle iron across the seat base to eye bolt the sub belts. I would have preferred using eye bolts through he floor for the sub belts, but the stock seat belt buckle bolted to the seat, so I should be good with the base bolted to the stock locations. You don't want you sub-belts routed over the from the of the seat bottom. In a crash you will slide forward and the belt will creep up into your soft organs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I am running Cobra Imola GT race seats. I wrapped the shoulder belts around the bar on my maximum motorsports roll bar. The lap belts are eye bolted through the floor close to the stock seat belt locations with Sparco backing plates and I welded angle iron across the seat base to eye bolt the sub belts. I would have preferred using eye bolts through he floor for the sub belts, but the stock seat belt buckle bolted to the seat, so I should be good with the base bolted to the stock locations. You don't want you sub-belts routed over the from the of the seat bottom. In a crash you will slide forward and the belt will creep up into your soft organs.
Thanks Eric, definitely helpful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I still have the eBrake as well. If you keep the plate down low near the radius you can get a plate in there.

View attachment 73758
It turns out my eBrake bracket is lower than yours (BKBoss302) and hardmounted to the trans tunnel. Not sure if I'm gonna take it any further in that regard - it looks like I'll mount the right side lapbelt through the floor just behind the seat mount. Not ideal but all eyebolts will be going through the floors, which is what I wanted.

Have a great season. JM

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Since we are on the topic of racing harness install and mounts what do all you guys think of this installation?
Vorschlag seat mount with center belts exiting through the bottom of the Sparco seat to mounts in plate.
Left lap belt mounted to original seat belt threaded location.
Right lap belt mount through side of trans tunnel with a flat steel reinforcement.
Shoulder belts mounted to roll cage.
Look safe and proper to you?

View attachment 73750

View attachment 73751

View attachment 73752

View attachment 73753
Three points I see. First, get the cotter pins installed in the snap locks on the harness ends.
Second, the wrap on the sub belt buckles isn't correct. It should be the same as the shoulder harness wrap.
1648488631682.png
Another method is this one:
1648488948801.png
Third, you may need to cross the straps for proper HANS/FHR use depending on how far back the harness bar is from the seat back. Here's some details from Schroth on the crossover question from these instructions :
page10image1956201024
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 2.23.42 PM.png

Good on you for asking the question. I catch a dozen harness installs with deficiencies each year in our local club.

TMO Supporting Vendors