The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Racing Harness installation (6 pt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three points I see. First, get the cotter pins installed in the snap locks on the harness ends.
Second, the wrap on the sub belt buckles isn't correct. It should be the same as the shoulder harness wrap.
View attachment 73973
Another method is this one:
View attachment 73975
Third, you may need to cross the straps for proper HANS/FHR use depending on how far back the harness bar is from the seat back. Here's some details from Schroth on the crossover question from these instructions :
View attachment 73953
View attachment 73972

Good on you for asking the question. I catch a dozen harness installs with deficiencies each year in our local club.
Thanks Cornerz!!
Great advice on the details - didn't even know the cotter pins were used in that clip. Points 1 and 2 are easily corrected.
For the shoulder belt spacing I did some measuring and determined that I am 15 inches from the bar to the center of my shoulder with my FHR on. My FHR is 7 inches wide so by the bottom chart on page 9 I should be at 3 inch spacing with the belts not in a crossover. Is that how to read that? I am using 2 inch wide belts so I should be 1 inch narrower so 2 inches would be the belt spacing according to the note on page 8.

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Thanks Cornerz!!
Great advice on the details - didn't even know the cotter pins were used in that clip. Points 1 and 2 are easily corrected.
For the shoulder belt spacing I did some measuring and determined that I am 15 inches from the bar to the center of my shoulder with my FHR on. My FHR is 7 inches wide so by the bottom chart on page 9 I should be at 3 inch spacing with the belts not in a crossover. Is that how to read that? I am using 2 inch wide belts so I should be 1 inch narrower so 2 inches would be the belt spacing according to the note on page 8.

View attachment 74023

View attachment 74024
Yes, that’s how I would fit those measurements into the table. One other observation from your new pics - the anti sub belts may need to be shorter to keep the shoulder belts from pulling the lap belts out of your iliac crest. They should take a slight dip downwards when done up tight before the shoulder straps go on. And of course, don’t forget to do up your helmet. lol.

I jest of course about the helmet strap from your pics, but I’ve sent many a driver back to the paddock for helmets not done up, or the HANS on top of the harnesses, or any number of silly reasons that get missed in their excitement. As a result, any time I see pics of a race car interior, my eyes get drawn to the safety gear use and install first before I even know what type of car it is. It’s a bit of a curse and a blessing at the same time.

Yes, that’s how I would fit those measurements into the table. One other observation from your new pics - the anti sub belts may need to be shorter to keep the shoulder belts from pulling the lap belts out of your iliac crest. They should take a slight dip downwards when done up tight before the shoulder straps go on. And of course, don’t forget to do up your helmet. lol.

I jest of course about the helmet strap from your pics, but I’ve sent many a driver back to the paddock for helmets not done up, or the HANS on top of the harnesses, or any number of silly reasons that get missed in their excitement. As a result, any time I see pics of a race car interior, my eyes get drawn to the safety gear use and install first before I even know what type of car it is. It’s a bit of a curse and a blessing at the same time.
Thanks again for all the great tips. I was thinking those lap belts were up a bit high. I really appreciate the safety aspects of these projects so I will be making these adjustments as I prepare for the track day season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I found this chart to be enlightening as well, look at the torque specs for 7/16” bolts - am I reading that right, 30 lbft?!

FEC4D0D0-FF5A-40ED-B01A-D543FFF24780.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
I found this chart to be enlightening as well, look at the torque specs for 7/16” bolts - am I reading that right, 30 lbft?!

View attachment 74069
Yep. The goal of fastener torque is just to keep it from vibrating out. Nordlock washers are ideal for this, especially when used with thread locker. You’ll notice elsewhere in the instructions that ideally the bolts should be installed in shear vice in tension. So for an eyelet, the direction of force on the harness would bend the fastener instead on pulling directly against the threads.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Yep. The goal of fastener torque is just to keep it from vibrating out. Nordlock washers are ideal for this, especially when used with thread locker. You’ll notice elsewhere in the instructions that ideally the bolts should be installed in shear vice in tension. So for an eyelet, the direction of force on the harness would bend the fastener instead on pulling directly against the threads.
Yeah, I saw that directional section for the eyelets as well - all very helpful guys, appreciate your expertise Cornerz and attention to detail from you and BKBoss!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel