The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Racing Helmets and customizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you have, What did it cost.
Did you add art work (post pic if you did) or leave it alone?
I am looking at options now and want something in White so I can add to it.
Thanks

Bell M4.

2602d1314936903t-boss-302-helmet-decal-boss-helmet.jpg

drano38

Wayne
I have an SA2010 rated Pryotect helmet, one of their base-price, and like it (but since its my first, I have no comparison).
Also have the decal like 5 DOT 0, but I added my Boss number, available from here for about $20 a set of 2: [email protected]

20110829185700.jpg

I retired my Bell Helmet and moved to a much lighter Kevlar composite by Stilo (SA2010) that weighs only 3.08lbs (i have impending neck surgery, so I needed to relieve the load in my upper spine). I also utilize a neck brace which really helps me. I prefer open face.

The art on my helmet are signatures...which so far include,

Parnelli Jones (no intro needed in Boss circles)
Bob Bondurant (World Champion driver for Shelby American)
Allen Grant (World Champion driver for Shelby American)
Peter Brock (Cobra Daytona Coupe designer, and Shelbys first employee)
Don "The Snake" Prudhomme (drove a Shelby sponsored drag car)

My previous helmet mentioned above also was adorned with sigs, and included one from the man himself, Carroll Shelby. This helmet is now proudly displayed in my office.

PeteInCT said:
Is a HANS not a good idea due to your medical condition?

I just use the donut...keeps me from becoming a lifesize booble head...allows the bottom of the helmet a place to rest an thus no load...cleared by my surgeon (a car nut as well)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cali_kr said:
PeteInCT said:
Is a HANS not a good idea due to your medical condition?

I just use the donut...keeps me from becoming a lifesize booble head...allows the bottom of the helmet a place to rest an thus no load...cleared by my surgeon (a car nut as well)

Makes sense.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I've got a Bell BR-1 (SA-2010). Probably the most comfortable full-face helmet I've ever worn. Fairly light with a very large eye-port... which is good as I instruct a lot (a whole lot) and having a comfortable, light helmet with good vision is imperative.

It's customized with various bumps and scrapes caused by getting in and out, tossed about, in student cars ;)

You definitely want to try helmets on before you purchase. They are shaped differently and all fit differently. I had a great deal on an HTC helmet that gave me the biggest headache each time I wore it. Bell and Simpson fit me well. Others, not so much.

I'd definitely recommend an SA helmet over an M helmet as the SAs are designed for multiple strikes vs. an M which is designed for one strike.

TMO Supporting Vendors