The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Racing Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Many of you post some great videos of your track events and some have a track map and speedometer overlayed on the video. How do you do that? I have a go pro so would like to try it out. Thanks!

Derek

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Derek:

I was gathering data using an android phone with the "Trackmaster Pro" application, teamed with a 10hz GPS beacon. That will get you GPS speed and position and accelerations. The program also spits out a .csv file on-demand which you can load to a program called "RaceChrono2AVI" that will allow you to create an overlay for the in-car video.

Then I would combine the two using the picture-in-picture feature of my video editing software (Sony Vegas, lately). The toughest part is getting the videos synced up properly.

Example:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/3FuglL2IgOo[/youtube]

There is also a very good app for iOS called "Harry's Lap Timer" that will gather data as well, but I'm not sure if it can spit out the .csv file to create an overlay. HOWEVER if you're taking video with your iOS phone in addition to gathering the data, HLT will export a video with the overlay already embedded for an entire session or specific lap/laps. Saves a ton of time editing etc, can crank out a single lap video with telemetry in under 5 mins. The downside is that I have no idea how to marry it to external video from a GoPro.

Example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGWJRiFPQE[/youtube]

Now I have to figure out how to do all this stuff all over again with my AiM data.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Harry's Lap Timer will export .CSV files. I don't have much experience merging video and data, but many seem to have free trial versions to help you decide what you want to buy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOxTNUtKBg[/youtube]

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Cool thanks all I will give it a go!

Oh and Drew NASA is running Chuckwalla clockwise on the 2nd and 3rd of November I plan on going

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tucson302 said:
Cool thanks all I will give it a go!

Oh and Drew NASA is running Chuckwalla clockwise on the 2nd and 3rd of November I plan on going

You will have a great time! You are getting a ton of track time in that car too! If you're going to come out to ProAuto on Nov 9/10 be sure to say hi!

While not meant for the track, DailyRoads Voyager for Android is something I have used for short AutoX runs. It will allow you to embed GPS data in the video so speed will show up in a corner as digits. It will maintain a temp video folder with a size limitation you can adjust by deleting older video to make room as it records new files. You can permanently keep video by touching the screen while it is recording. I don't drive anywhere without it running, actually. It will help if I am ever in an accident with either car, I figure. I don't think a cop would believe a young guy driving a Boss was not the cause of an accident :(

TMO Supporting Vendors