The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rack install advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys new to the forum I own a 2011 gt that I just recently started tracking. So I installed eibach springs, steeda 302r control arms along with X11 balljoints, Polly sway bar bushings rtr adjustable shocks, and steeda bumpsteer kit and some 285's on the front end, and have a really nasty jerking when hard turning or braking or going above 65. I researched and found out it was the epas. So I picked up a used 2014 gt rack on eBay for about $180. So I just wanted to know if anyone had done the install themselves? And do I have to drop the k-member to get to the bolts that secure it in? What tools are needed? Or if there is an install thread that I can be directed to? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on the install. Seems like people just take it to the dealer to get theirs installed. Any help would be great. Thanks

Thanks for the response Tri-bar. I couldnt find anything before so I went ahead and did it my self. I was going to do a write up on it with pics soon. I ended up not having to lift the engine or drop the k-member. The bolts came right out after hearing them to melt the thread locker and the rack slid right out with ease. Took me just under two hours on my back and basic hand tools including a long 3/8's flexible head ratchet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
triggered. Heating the bolts works, but I've gotten so accustomed to K member work I just drop the K and go from there.

(that said, I wish there weren't points for a MM k-member install, I'm so sick of constantly dropping the K member out of my car for different things. I think I swore 4-5 removals ago that it would be the last time I dropped the OEM 10mm socket collector down without putting a different one in its place).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I think I swore 4-5 removals ago that it would be the last time I dropped the OEM 10mm socket collector down without putting a different one in its place).

Maybe it's time to drill an escape hole in the bottom? :)

triggered. Heating the bolts works, but I've gotten so accustomed to K member work I just drop the K and go from there.

(that said, I wish there weren't points for a MM k-member install, I'm so sick of constantly dropping the K member out of my car for different things. I think I swore 4-5 removals ago that it would be the last time I dropped the OEM 10mm socket collector down without putting a different one in its place).

Yeah I just sat there staring at the bottom of my car just pondering of an easier way before I did it lol ,but thank the car gods that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. If it wasn't for melting the stupid thread locker on the bolts I would've done it a lot faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors