The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Radiator Ducting / Sealing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm planning to duct the front of my radiator this summer. As I still drive my car to the track, I plan to keep the AC. With the AC condenser in front of the radiator, will I also need to seal the AC condenser to the radiator or sealing to the condenser is good enough? Or better said, will air want to flow through the ducted AC condenser and then around the radiator or pass through the radiator?

that's a tough one. I definitely think its necessary to duct between the two if you're leaving the condenser in. When I was planning mine out I was having a tough time coming up with ducting between the condenser and radiator that I was happy with. In the process I found a leak in one of my AC lines, so I took it as a sign from the race car gods that I should just rip it out. So I did. Means no Buttonwillow in the summer, but that's not fun even with AC so F it. Made ducting to the radiator that much easier!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I'm too lazy to walk out to the barn and look at the Boss, but I'm thinking something like foam backer rod would fill the gap between the condenser & radiator nicely. You want one designed for "hot pour" sealants, which can usually tolerate 400F. You want the rod a bit larger diameter than the gap to fill so it will squish and stay put, without having to cram it in and put too much stress on the condenser & radiator.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
that's a tough one. I definitely think its necessary to duct between the two if you're leaving the condenser in. When I was planning mine out I was having a tough time coming up with ducting between the condenser and radiator that I was happy with. In the process I found a leak in one of my AC lines, so I took it as a sign from the race car gods that I should just rip it out. So I did. Means no Buttonwillow in the summer, but that's not fun even with AC so F it. Made ducting to the radiator that much easier!
I take a summer break from track life here in Socal anyway, so being without AC probably wouldn't be the end of the world. If I find a leak, I may just do the same 😂

Thanks for the tip @Dave_W I'll check out that foam rod.

TMO Supporting Vendors