The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Radiator fan settings on road course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
What did your tuner set your fan settings in your road course tune?

Interested in when it comes on and at what fan speed. But most of all, whether it is set to always stay on or always off when on the course at speed.

My current tuner has it set to always stay on once it turns on. He states that if it is not running, the blades will block airflow. Another tuner is stating the exact opposite. He states that the spinning blades will actually do more to block airflow at higher speeds than help it.

Both do not recommend the 170° Thermostat for road course work. One stated that the engine needs to be warmer due to tight tolerances.

I currently have a 2014 Mustang GT with a stock engine except for a CAI and tune. Ford Racing radiator and GT500 fan. CoolTech/Setrab oil cooler and Derale transmission cooler. Yes, I track it with a 6R80 (hangs head in shame...)

Upgrading soon to 2018 Manifold, L&M intake cams, OEM Boss 302 exhaust cams, billet OPGs and crank sprocket.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
On the wifes car which is auto the fan comes on at 180 or so and stays on. It's cooling is all stock for now, she's had no issues with trans temp or heat here in Texas. I will be adding the tiger hood we have to it so it's not just sitting in a box.

Are you having heat issues?
I wouldn't touch the thermostat as recommended.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
ArizonaBoss & Mad302 - thanks

I was having heat problems with coolant and trans oil last season after about 10 minutes into an HDPE session when shifting manually and keeping it at the higher RPMs. Besides, leaving it in automatic mode would result in some scary kickdowns by 2-3 gears when powering out of turns.

I installed the Ford Racing radiator, GT500 fan, and the oil coolers (trans in series with stock trans cooler) after the season ended. No track days since and I will be installing my other upgrades (cam, manifold, OPGs) before the new season starts.

Will also be installing an oil temp guage.

My fan comes on at 184F. During the hottest of AZ summer days where it is sunny and 120F outside, my coolant temp has never been above 197F.

Boss 302-S grill, Boss 302 radiator, GT500 radiator fan, OEM ford coolant, OEM ford thermostat, no coolant additives.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Tuner #2 is right. The spinning blades will block airflow. As speeds pick up the un energized fan will spin parasitically, so they are not blocking anything.
The newer GT500 fans have trap doors in the shroud to let air pass through-around the fan at speed and close when the draw of the fan exceeds the flow through the grill.
My fan comes on at 180* as well. I run no thermostat and an electric water pump and intercooler pump.
I warm the engine with the pumps off and when the temp comes up I just flick the pumps on.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Which Derale transmission cooler did you go with?

I went with their 10000 Series 16-row stacked plate cooler which is essentially p/n 51608.
http://derale.com/products/fluid-co...ate2013-10-28-09-53-271154803941/51608-detail

But Derale was great and developed a custom kit for me. I was originally attracted to Derale when I saw their Direct Fit Engine Oil Cooler (#20542) used on the Continental Week to Wicked project on Mustang360. They actually just used a 10-row cooler and developed custom brackets that bolt to the back of the crash bar on S197s and enabled their Universal Easy-Fit brackets (#50022) to be mounted to them with the cooler sandwiched between them. This would hang right behind the lower grill.

Their brackets had holes drilled to allow the Easy-Fit brackets to be spaced to allow either a 10-row or 16 row cooler between them. Their original Easy Fit brackets allowed one cooler to be mounted to one side or the other but not in the center. This actually allowed a second cooler to be mounted next to it for either trans or power steering cooling.

But since I like symmetry and wanted to avoid any blocking of airflow due to my Vorshlag lower grill brake duct inlets they went the extra mile and designed and laser cut new brackets with the holes spaced to allow center as well as offset mounting of coolers. They also provided 1/2" rubber trans line and 1/2" compression fittings.

I need to get off my butt and do a write up of that installation along with my Ford Racing radiator and the CoolTech/Setrab Engine Oil Cooler. I've attached some pics of the installed coolers.
IMG_20181211_094432_01.jpgIMG_20181211_094427_01.jpgIMG_6220.JPGIMG_6211.JPGIMG_6215.JPGbrackets.jpgIMG_20181211_094436_01.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks! And yes, I noticed the 3+3 louvers on either edge of the lower part of the fan shroud.
The only reason a car has an engine fan is for when the car is sitting still or moving slowly or the grill is blocked by a car in front of you. The flow through the grill at speed is many times greater than the very best of fans. My stock cars had a pair of electric fans on a toggle. I only turned them on during yellow flag laps and when exiting the track. Soon as we were about to go green off they went.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman - thanks

I don't think I'll ever have the skill or cohones that will result in this being an issue. Lol.
You might be surprised what you can do when the situation presents itself.
Some folks excel while others just choke. Funny thing is, you can't always tell who is who until the green flag drops. You could be totally awesome when given the chance...why not?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
You could be totally awesome when given the chance...why not?

You are too kind. It's always possible. When I first got my car (2/2015) I never would have guessed that I'd be changing OPGs, cams, and intake. But I think to get to the point I'm practically drafting behind another car in w2w racing I'd need to go to a dedicated track car and many more lessons. $$$$. I guess I need to keep buying lottery tickets.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You are too kind. It's always possible. When I first got my car (2/2015) I never would have guessed that I'd be changing OPGs, cams, and intake. But I think to get to the point I'm practically drafting behind another car in w2w racing I'd need to go to a dedicated track car and many more lessons. $$$$. I guess I need to keep buying lottery tickets.
Never give up the dream.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Thanks @Coz. I have to come up with a way to cool the transmission and cannot use the FRPP cooler scoop because I have a BMR K-member and it won't allow it to bolt up. I have to either get a modified cooling scoop or one of these Derale units.

TMO Supporting Vendors