The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Radio unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love ALMOST every thing about my car. Except for the fact that a Honda civic comes with a better radio and speakers. My 04' Gt had a mach 1 sound system, and its still hard adjusting to the cheaper radio in the Boss. I have seen a few discussions going around about swapping out the speakers, but that the radio itself isn't designed to put out the power needed to support larger speakers and subs. So I had a thought. Would it be possible to get a hold of a 2012/13 GT radio head unit, and swap out the Boss unit with that one? This would hopefully supply the needed output to support upgraded speakers. I'm not really tech savvy, and know much less about radios and speakers. But does this seem possible or even logical?

I think, but I'm not 100%, that the difference between them is upgraded speakers w/separate amps in the door and trunk. I don't think the head unit is any different then what you have now. You might end up paying more if you upgrade to a Ford sound system vs. an after market system. An aftermarket will definitely sound better in my opinion.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
While the #1 comment will most likely be, "what radio? the Boss has a radio?" or "I just let the exhaust be my music"
I opted to drop $180ish on getting a Sirius tuner for my Boss. While I am in there, I will probably just throw some Infinity speakers in here too. Then I am done with audio modifications. I tried living without my satellite radio for 3 weeks and the iPhone app wasn't cutting it either.

I too was disappointed with the boss radio, but I didn't notice it until some time later. My It's kind if sad that my corolla has a better sound system than the boss lol.

If I were to upgrade, I think I'd try to go with the shaker system off of a GT, even if it costs more. Mainly because I hate the look if aftermarket dash kits. I've never seen one for the mustang in person, but in pictures, they look weird. I also don't care much for double din and GPS units.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Back when I had my '04 GT, I wanted to do a XM radio only setup. Worked out quite well.

4701110019_large.jpg

Just couldn't see going through the trouble of doing this again to the Boss.

The sky is the limit...

From upgraded speakers to systems designed specifically for Mustangs to custom NWA Dr. Dre "beats"..

How much you got???

mcmmotorsports said:
While the #1 comment will most likely be, "what radio? the Boss has a radio?" or "I just let the exhaust be my music"
I opted to drop $180ish on getting a Sirius tuner for my Boss. While I am in there, I will probably just throw some Infinity speakers in here too. Then I am done with audio modifications. I tried living without my satellite radio for 3 weeks and the iPhone app wasn't cutting it either.

If I remember correctly, I came across a post/ thread some where....some place pretty much saying the same thing. However someone with a little background in radios/ speakers was saying the radio itself doesn't have the proper power level (hertz) or something to power after market speakers correctly. Well something like that. Anyways I don't want to change the look of the dash with an aftermarket unit, and I don't need a GPS/ video screen. Just something that can put out better sounding music then the factory set-up. I enjoy the sound of the motor and exhaust. but its a DD, and gets old after a while.

VTBoss302 said:
The sky is the limit...

From upgraded speakers to systems designed specifically for Mustangs to custom NWA Dr. Dre "beats"..

How much you got???

I don't care about cost. But I also don't want anything stupid. Just a radio and speaker set up that sounds as good as the GT. My damn ambulance at work has a better set-up!

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
I thought our doors don't have cut-outs big enough, in the doors, to fit the 8" subs. Could be rectified easy enough, if you don't mind cutting.

You could get new door panel's so you can reverse the changes. If cost isn't an issue you might as well go for the shaker 1000. Or get a sound processor to compensate for the built in Eq and add an amp and speakers. You have options. Talk to a reputable car audio dealer. Most will try to rip you off, so look around.

NJ
racered302 said:
You could get new door panel's so you can reverse the changes. If cost isn't an issue you might as well go for the shaker 1000. Or get a sound processor to compensate for the built in Eq and add an amp and speakers. You have options. Talk to a reputable car audio dealer. Most will try to rip you off, so look around.

My car came with the complete Shaker 1000 setup, do not waste your time or money on this stuff. Just replacing the stock factory 5x7's up front with anything decent will make a very considerable improvement in the mids & highs. If the speakers have an integrated crossover it's pretty much plug and play with the Metro speaker adapters. There is also room in the doors to mount a crossover if necessary.

If you want bass/subs up front buy a set of premium door panels and a set of 8" shallow midbass speakers (I used JL ZR800's). Run a dedicated amp (something with a built in crossover) and something like an Audio Control LC2i tied into the rear speaker signal. The JL Stealthbox is also a good option if you don't want to replace door panels. Either way it will make a world of difference over the factory speaker setup. Third option would be a replacement setup of 6x8 speakers for the rear deck on a dedicated amp crossed over to just play bass/midbass frequencies.

Shaun12 said:
I don't care about cost. But I also don't want anything stupid. Just a radio and speaker set up that sounds as good as the GT. My damn ambulance at work has a better set-up!

We're very good at spending other people's money around here so be careful...

Anyhow, here's are two pretty simple and straightforward upgrade options (assuming you have a '12) worth considering:

A)

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-6x8-speaker.htm

Or with an amp and a sub:

B)

http://www.ShelbyStore.com/product-p/kic-ns.htm

Theviking said:
My car came with the complete Shaker 1000 setup, do not waste your time or money on this stuff. Just replacing the stock factory 5x7's up front with anything decent will make a very considerable improvement in the mids & highs. If the speakers have an integrated crossover it's pretty much plug and play with the Metro speaker adapters. There is also room in the doors to mount a crossover if necessary.

I never cared for the sound of the shaker systems, too muffled, but the man wants a stock looking stereo. The stealthbox probably cost less then the shaker that you would end up buying from Shelby, I think Kicker makes them. Another low cost alternative is the MTX thunderform, sounds pretty good and also saves space in the trunk like the stealth box but $600 less. The first thing you should do is is get a sound processor because the radio's sound was EQ'd for the cheap speakers that you have now and if you like the way the Shaker system sounds, a sound processor, door speakers and a sub/ amp combo may be all you need. I went that route, still wasn't good enough. The stereo in my mind, needed to sound as good as the engine. So I changed everything. The Metra center console looks cleaner too me, but to each his own. Something else you might want to consider is component speakers and put the tweeters in the "A" pillars. They are cheaper to replace the door panels if you want too reverse everything and the sound is much better. I did that in mine and if you close your eyes you can't tell where the speaker are. I worked on this thing for a year and I'm quit happy with it now. Good luck, hope you get it the way you like it.

PS. I wouldn't worry at this point about changing the rear deck speakers, they are for ambient sounds and not worth the effort, the sound stage is up front.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
racered302 said:
I never cared for the sound of the shaker systems, too muffled, but the man wants a stock looking stereo. The stealthbox probably cost less then the shaker that you would end up buying from Shelby, I think Kicker makes them. Another low cost alternative is the MTX thunderform, sounds pretty good and also saves space in the trunk like the stealth box but $600 less. The first thing you should do is is get a sound processor because the radio's sound was EQ'd for the cheap speakers that you have now and if you like the way the Shaker system sounds, a sound processor, door speakers and a sub/ amp combo may be all you need. I went that route, still wasn't good enough. The stereo in my mind, needed to sound as good as the engine. So I changed everything. The Metra center console looks cleaner too me, but to each his own. Something else you might want to consider is component speakers and put the tweeters in the "A" pillars. They are cheaper to replace the door panels if you want too reverse everything and the sound is much better. I did that in mine and if you close your eyes you can't tell where the speaker are. I worked on this thing for a year and I'm quit happy with it now. Good luck, hope you get it the way you like it.

PS. I wouldn't worry at this point about changing the rear deck speakers, they are for ambient sounds and not worth the effort, the sound stage is up front.
i disagree about the rear speakers. I changed the fronts then did the rears and it makes quite a difference. I switched to Polk audio speakers and what a difference. I would like to add a sub like the factory shaker 1000 and iPod integration.

Justin said:
i disagree about the rear speakers. I changed the fronts then did the rears and it makes quite a difference. I switched to Polk audio speakers and what a difference. I would like to add a sub like the factory shaker 1000 and iPod integration.
Did you change anything else besides the front and rear speakers?

VTBoss302 said:
We're very good at spending other people's money around here so be careful...

Anyhow, here's are two pretty simple and straightforward upgrade options (assuming you have a '12) worth considering:

A)

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-6x8-speaker.htm

Or with an amp and a sub:

B)

http://www.ShelbyStore.com/product-p/kic-ns.htm

Do these parts come with an optional Shelby autograph? ???

TMO Supporting Vendors