The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ramps that will work with the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Folks,

I was wondering what ramps you folks are using for your Boss. Went to ride up on my present ramps and the lower spoiler hits. I'm not looking for a $200+ dollar set, just something I can use for my once a year oil change.

I have the 65” two piece Race Ramps and they worked fine. They will have a sale coming up soon but they will still be over $200. I highly recommend spending the extra money for the two piece.

I had the same problem when I first got my Boss but I was also lowered which made it even more difficult. As VoodooBoss said, there are no cheap ramps that offer the clearance you need....believe me I looked everywhere. I tried wooden blocks in front of the ramps which worked but pretty cheesy. So you might as well get the right tool for the job and be safe. Since I am under the car all the time I pulled the trigger on a QuickJack. Not cheap but so nice for undercar work. Maybe overkill for just oil changes but can't beat the clearance other than a true 2 or 4 post lift.

I have the 65” two piece Race Ramps and they worked fine. They will have a sale coming up soon but they will still be over $200. I highly recommend spending the extra money for the two piece.
This.

Do you really want to work under a 3700 lb car with a cheap set of ramps made in China? Those 200-300 dollar ramps just may save your life.

Last edited:
Bay Area
Two piece race ramps and be done with it. I bought mine during a black Friday deal and the discount basically covered shipping but the ONE time I have used them since then was well worth it. It only took me 5 mins to jack my Boss up rather than 30-45 mins trying to find a piece of wood to drive on just to get the car high enough to slip my jack under, then lift one side get the jack stand in place, then repeat. NOT FUN. Next is a quick lift.

GB218

TMO Addict
This.

Do you really want to work under a 3700 lb car with a cheap set of ramps made in China? Those 200-300 dollar ramps just may save your life.

+1

I also have a set of the 65" Race Ramps. Nice and secure. The tires don't hang over the sides of the ramps. Any car I have used them with remains nice and stabile. Not afraid of them collapsing.

GB218

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The problems with the cheaper ramps are that they don't come in shallow enough angles to get under any of the Boss splitters *and* they don't usually have enough grip to use on the rear tires.

I made some using 2x10 douglas fir. One piece about 3 feet long with another about a foot and a half long nailed down on it flush with one end. It works fine and was cheap. I made 4 and can drive up on all of them.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had the same problem when I first got my Boss but I was also lowered which made it even more difficult. As VoodooBoss said, there are no cheap ramps that offer the clearance you need....believe me I looked everywhere. I tried wooden blocks in front of the ramps which worked but pretty cheesy. So you might as well get the right tool for the job and be safe. Since I am under the car all the time I pulled the trigger on a QuickJack. Not cheap but so nice for undercar work. Maybe overkill for just oil changes but can't beat the clearance other than a true 2 or 4 post lift.

+1 on the QuickJack. Couldn't fit a 2 post lift in my garage and the scissor jacks were way too heavy and cumbersome, but this thing is just the ticket. I had the steel ramps with wood ramps to mitigate steep angle and it was scary stuff at times. Scary enough that SWMBO fully approved the QJ buy.:)

I made wood ramps like Fat Boss mentioned. One long piece with a shorter piece for the second "step".
Been using that style for years, just make new ones when they deteriorate.
Gets it up high enough to get the jack underneath the front but not as much as the Race Ramps.

Would love to upgrade to Quick Jack at some point.

drano38

Wayne
Based on someone else's post here several years ago, I made a set to drive the Boss on the trailer w/o scraping the splitter. Go to your favorite home improvement store, buy a 4x8 ft sheet of insulation board, and a can of spray adhesive designed for it. Cut into 1 ft wide strips, cut them to staggered lengths and tapper the cut for the tire to climb up, and put them together.
Mine are 5.5' long (to fit in my Dakota truck bed) and I believe 6" tall.
Work great loading the Boss on the trailer, and for oil changes.
Cost - ~ $40.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
+1 if you got the cash for Quick Jack set. I got the 7000 lb size to handle all the maintenance on my fleet. Oil change and tire rotation in one shot.

I still think that Steeda jacking rails are the best invention for home mechanics. I can have the car up in the air and slip wood blocks or ramps underneath each wheel in seconds. No fumbling around on my hands and knees looking for jacking points, no worries about driving perfectly straight up onto ramps, etc. I have them on my Boss and my Focus RS.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel