The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ran Master Cylinder Dry…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey folks, so in the process of doing the S197 upgrade to the S550 6-pot front calipers and replacing rear calipers, I accidentally let the master cylinder run dry…argh.
I understand that likely means 1) the master cylinder needs to be bled and 2) the ABS module needs to be bled. Awesome.
I haven’t found much in searching to help figure out how I’m going to tackle the master cylinder bleed. Can I do it in the car? I do have a lift, if it helps.

Is it a lot of work to remove the master cylinder?
As for cycling the ABS module, I do have the Ford Pro Cal tool - not sure of it has that capability. If not, I could get the car to the shop at the track to address that issue. But with the master cylinder the way it is, I get a pedal that goes to the floor right now.

Appreciate any input. The car is a 2011 Mustang GT originally with brembos (that master cylinder).

And sorry if I did a bad job searching!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Before you tear the master cylinder out. Try refilling and bleeding the brakes. If it bleeds through you dodged a bullet. I have run the master dry, or at least pulled air through it and was able to simple bleed the system. Good luck

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors