The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Random misfire code on the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Having reviewed all of the posts regarding the check engine light while using the track key during track events, I have something interesting to add. Driving my 2013 Boss LS, I was getting the check engine light at Road America recently, however, the light would only come on while exiting turn 12, and ONLY turn 12. This was consistent and happened after about 5 laps or so. The light would flash, car goes in to "limp" mode then 10 seconds later, the light would stop flashing and the car would go out of "limp" mode. Borrowed a friends code reader and got the "random misfire/cylinder 6" code, cleared it, then it happened again, at Turn 12 only. Sometimes I would get a solid check engine light and sometimes it would flash while going in to "limp" mode. Turn 12 at Road America is a 90 degree right turn, after a long sweeping straight where I would hit about 125 to 130 MPH. My last session, I decided to be a little more aggressive in turn 12, braking later and harder, then exiting a little faster and the light never came on.
Any thoughts??

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Dave

At another track I was experiencing the same issue, short term light and brief limp mode, only one corner

Found I was downshifting a bit early and tickling the rev limiter.

Moved my shift point a bit further into the brake zone, problem solved.

Root cause, driver.

Video after the run showed the error.

TMSBOSS said:
Dave

At another track I was experiencing the same issue, short term light and brief limp mode, only one corner

Found I was downshifting a bit early and tickling the rev limiter.

Moved my shift point a bit further into the brake zone, problem solved.

Root cause, driver.

Video after the run showed the error.

Ok thanks, that what I pretty much figured out after attacking the corner differently.

DaveStang said:
Ok thanks, that what I pretty much figured out after attacking the corner differently.
Was this at the Northwoods Shelby Club event a couple weeks ago? I saw so many Bosses there but didn't get a chance to meet everyone. I did see at least one black 13 LS.

As you can see from my sig I am a fan of Canada Corner :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
VTBoss302 said:
Have you done the sensor o-ring and relearn?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5800.msg88282#msg88282

Just had mine done

So far, so good (fingers crossed)

This plus the harness replacement did it for me. Been good for a year...

-Pete

cloud9 said:
Was this at the Northwoods Shelby Club event a couple weeks ago? I saw so many Bosses there but didn't get a chance to meet everyone. I did see at least one black 13 LS.

As you can see from my sig I am a fan of Canada Corner :)

Yes it was. Had a great time!

TMO Supporting Vendors