The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ranger Raptor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

this could end up begin SUPER cool.
Ford should never have abandoned the mid-size truck market. I am really eager to see the actual new Bronco...sure hope they do a traditional-looking (2-door) Bronco. That would suit me better than the Raptor. You're right, Rick...it's a pretty big beast. It's also a whole lot of fun!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I recently bought a 2017 F150 4x4 extended cab with the 5.0L. The truck is just too damn big. Period. The F150 with the 5.0L is a monster tow rig, but other than that, every time I get in it i wish it were 20% smaller.

Unfortunately, I need to tow a trailer and the smaller trucks wouldn't cut it, but seriously, there is no excuse for the size of this thing. They need to go back to what a 1/2 ton was twenty years ago, or even better, put the 5.0 or an Ecoboost into a mid-sized truck, like Dodge used to do with the Dakota 5.8L. Looks like the Ranger might be it.

Hopefully the baby Raptor will have front and rear lockers and a more rock crawling suspension like the Colorado ZR2, along with a decent engine and tow rating. I was about to pull the trigger on a ZR2 and live with "only" 305HP until I found out the max towing capacity on a ZR2 is 5000lb. If I lived at sea level or somewhere flat I would have gone ahead with it, but you really need to reduce the towing capacity by 20% here in Colorado to compensate for altitude and giant mountains, so it wasn't going to pull even my little 3500lb trailer with all of my gear.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I like my tremor.
Short cab, short bed, Ecoboost, 4:10's and a max towing package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I went with the F-250 crew and diesel. Had the F-150 Ecoboast. My enclosed trailer was just too much for the F-150. Sub 4 miles to the gallon and a truck that could not pull at highway speeds unless it downshifted into 5th or 4th just would not work for me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I went with the F-250 crew and diesel. Had the F-150 Ecoboast. My enclosed trailer was just too much for the F-150. Sub 4 miles to the gallon and a truck that could not pull at highway speeds unless it downshifted into 5th or 4th just would not work for me.

That must be a hell of a big trailer!
I tow my 20' enclosed pushing 10000 pounds at 80 mph with ease and climb the hills without a problem. I have heard others with horror stories about poor towing and others like me have a good experience. Fuel mileage towing isn't the best, but it wasn't great towing with my 5.0 either. If I can manage to drive 60 mph the mileage isn't bad at all, but I can't seem to hold that pace for long and as I speed up fuel mileage drops like a stone. At the very worst it's 8 mpg but that's hauling the mail up hill. For a small truck with a big trailer I really couldn't expect any more from it. I don't know why some have better experience than others. I'm sure the 4:10's help a lot. Most of the trucks have much taller gears, I'm sure that's not helping them. A big truck with a diesel wins every time when it comes to towing, but mines also my daily, so this one is right sized for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently bought a 2017 F150 4x4 extended cab with the 5.0L. The truck is just too damn big. Period. The F150 with the 5.0L is a monster tow rig, but other than that, every time I get in it i wish it were 20% smaller.

Funny, I just wish parking spots were 20% bigger!

I went with the F-250 crew and diesel.

Me too, in early 1999. I bought my Crew Cab 4x4 Powerstroke 6 Speed Manual right off the lot. Never once have I regretted it.

My buddy has a Raptor. Nothing about it seems to big. But, I am five foot fourteen and 250 lbs so the world seems a little small to me.

I have the 6 cyl Toyota Tacoma which fills my needs just fine.If they ever offered a V8 option I'm sure it would do great.The truck is not a mid size but some where between that and a full size. Best investment I ever made...Besides the Boss of course!.............

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I'm not sure what I think of this new Ranger yet. One thing for sure, I don't like the midsize 4-door trucks. They look like an SUV that was chopped off behind the rear seat and a 4' truck bed was attached.

I agree with you a thousand percent!!!!. I have a 2 dr Tacoma with the extended cab and that suites me just fine!!! There's room in the back for people or stuff when you need it..............those extra 2 doors cost you!!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors