The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rarest Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There may be colors of 2013 Boss 302's that are more rare than others, but it seems the rarest Boss will be the ones *without* the Recaro/Torsen option. I know very few were made with the standard interior/differential in 2012. Has anyone even seen a 2013 Boss without Recaro/Torsen? I haven't seen any go across eBay.

If you want rarity, getting a white with standard interior seems to be the way to go. I'll bet only a few dozen at most will be built. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be worth anything.

I once responded to an ad for a '69 Corvette that was advertised as being one of the rarest Corvettes made in '69. Of course visions of 427 danced in my head. When I called, the ad was correct: it was a '69 Corvette with NO options whatsoever. It had a 3-speed manual transmission, the base 350, manual steering, vinyl seats, an AM radio, and no air conditioning (and this was in Florida!) There were a grand total of 252 '69 Corvettes made with a 3-speed manual....The owner said it had been ordered for a movie shoot where the car was to be destroyed in a crash scene, and then it was never crashed. It would have been a cool story, but who in Hades would want a Corvette with a 3-speed manual?

coboss said:
Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be worth anything.
This. Buy what you want and don't worry about if it's going to be rare or not. There is no guarantee these cars will appreciate or be valuable in the future. I bought mine to drive the wheels off it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have a PW 12 no options. not that it was my choice it was what was at the dealer when I got there. The other option was a RR wBlack no options.

Take a look at the window sticker at the bottom of my post. It's a GHIG without Recaros. Yeah, it's a pre-production Boss that will probably be destroyed when Ford is done with it I was in the car and I would rather have the Recaros myself.

If you're looking for rarity, then look at the 2012's. One Yellow Blaze with white stripes, one Grabber Blue LS, and one School Bus Yellow LS.

More than anything, buy it and drive it! That's what they're made for.

jmbboss302 said:
Take a look at the window sticker at the bottom of my post. It's a GHIG without Recaros. Yeah, it's a pre-production Boss that will probably be destroyed when Ford is done with it I was in the car and I would rather have the Recaros myself.

If you're looking for rarity, then look at the 2012's. One Yellow Blaze with white stripes, one Grabber Blue LS, and one School Bus Yellow LS.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2012 SBY LS was made for Parnelli Jones, and the Grabber Blue LS was for a charity auction. You could not order those. The Yellow Blaze with white was the only "lucky" catch anyone made.

Which brings up an interesting point: there are no white stripes for 2013, so the number of color combinations is much smaller. Another reason not to worry about it.

Back in the "good old days", many muscle cars were available in a rainbow of colors. I believe late 60's/ early 70's Corvettes could be ordered in any color GM used for that year. I own a '69 AMC AMX, and it was available in 16 colors and five stripe combinations with four interior colors, and they would do anything you wanted. You could get a red car with red stripes and a red interior if that would float your boat. There were some very common color combos, and some that were weird and rare.

BTW, the "Gotta Have It Green" for 2013 is virtually identical to the 1969 AMX "Big Bad Green". Check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1969_AMX_in_Big_Bad_Green_umr.jpg

"Grabber Blue"? Check out "Big Bad Blue": http://www.muscle-car-wallpaper.com/mfr/AMC/AMX/1969-amx-wallpaper-blue-rfs-1024x768-03.htm

"Competition Orange"? Check out "Big Bad Orange": http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1095032105014137778VZZhuM

What goes around comes around as far as car colors.

jmbboss302 said:

Did Ford sell any of the Pre-production 2012 models??

I don't know if the SBY was bult for Parnelli Jones, but I do know that the dealer who sold the car is in southeast Michigan. I haven't found it yet, but I've been looking.

As far as pre-production Boss's being sold, some MP Boss's have been sold, but I'm not aware of any PP Boss's sold.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Re: Rarest Boss-2012 Calypso Coral amd Grabber Blue Boss info

https://trackmustangsonline.com/2012-and-2012-boss-302-and-boss-302-laguna-seca-registry/'1-of-1's'-2012-boss-1-calypso-coral-and-1-grabber-blue/msg26172/#msg26172

Thanks for the link to the Calypso Coral pair.

Given that a good, documented 1969 Boss 302 goes for $60K and up, and a standard color 2012 Boss w/Recaros was $44K, I'd say the buyer of the pair at $102K got a pretty good deal. And I can't believe I would ever say that paying over $100K for two Mustangs is a good deal!

Calypso Coral is a beautiful color. I remember a few Mach I's in my town that were that shade.

jmbboss302 said:
I don't know if the SBY was bult for Parnelli Jones, but I do know that the dealer who sold the car is in southeast Michigan. I haven't found it yet, but I've been looking.

As far as pre-production Boss's being sold, some MP Boss's have been sold, but I'm not aware of any PP Boss's sold.

Sorry for my faulty memory. The 2012 SBY Laguna wasn't built for Parnelli Jones, it was signed by him and auctioned off:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/09/22/1-of-1-2012-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-painted-school-bus-yellow-going-up-for-auction/

So there you have it: one SBY Laguna, one Grabber Blue Laguna, and a Calypso Coral standard Boss appear to be the three "specials" for 2012. Maybe later on they will cut loose a few 2013 specials for auction.

rarest new boss have to be the Canadian yellow blaze with white stripes I think was only 1 ever made in that combination.

zero said:
rarest new boss have to be the Canadian yellow blaze with white stripes I think was only 1 ever made in that combination.

I think there is no doubt that the Yellow Blaze with white is the rarest of the regular production Boss 302's for 2012. By that I mean the most rare one that anyone could have ordered as opposed to Ford building one as a special.

1992chpb4c said:
jmbboss302 said:

Did Ford sell any of the Pre-production 2012 models??

20 thus far and counting.

coboss said:
There may be colors of 2013 Boss 302's that are more rare than others, but it seems the rarest Boss will be the ones *without* the Recaro/Torsen option. I know very few were made with the standard interior/differential in 2012. Has anyone even seen a 2013 Boss without Recaro/Torsen? I haven't seen any go across eBay.

If you want rarity, getting a white with standard interior seems to be the way to go. I'll bet only a few dozen at most will be built. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be worth anything.

2013_boss_production_breakdown_may_23_2012_page_1_original.jpg

jmbboss302 said:

PP0003 built for Canada goes up for auction soon. CO/Black cover, mats, Recaros only (no Torsen)

coboss said:
jmbboss302 said:

Sorry for my faulty memory. The 2012 SBY Laguna wasn't built for Parnelli Jones, it was signed by him and auctioned off:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/09/22/1-of-1-2012-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-painted-school-bus-yellow-going-up-for-auction/

So there you have it: one SBY Laguna, one Grabber Blue Laguna, and a Calypso Coral standard Boss appear to be the three "specials" for 2012. Maybe later on they will cut loose a few 2013 specials for auction.

I forgot all about that auction. And I remember seeing ads locally for it. The interesting thing about that Boss is, it was originally ordered Black and changed to School Bus Yellow after it received it's VIN. Normally, once a car is assigned a VIN, no changes can be made to the order.

TMO Supporting Vendors